28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation What kit is the best and why?

I am considering building a Daytona Coupe and there are a few kits to choose from. I live in SW FL so A/C is a must. I am looking at the FFR's, SPF's and a few others. I do not want to deal with a donor car so I am looking for something that is more complete or with general knowledge of where and whom to locate needed parts to fnish. I restored a 68 Mustang about 18 years ago so I feel I am comfortable around the shop. FFR as far as I know offers a 3 day coarse on building their kits which is one reason I am leaning towards them. All suggestions welcomed.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Superformance is ready to go and set up with A/C.
No build class needed. Just drop the engine and trans in and not much more and you are on the road.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadster II also has a Coupe, check it out. The SPF Coupe is a modern design and deviates from original specs. Thats an important consideration for some of us, others could care less (maybe they prefer VW power as well). The Classic Roadster Coupe is more true to original specs, all though not perfect.

And for those who say it's only a replica, fine, have you considered front wheel drive Honda power for your replica? Why not? It's modern, gets great mileage, easy to work on and 'ricer wing' friendly. After all, it's 'only' a replica...

http://www.classicroadsters.com/hdr_427_fia.html

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-30-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #095, w/ 1966 428
Not Ranked     

A guy in my local club has a new coupe from Superformance. It is very nice and the A/C is icy cool.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
And for those who say it's only a replica, fine, have you considered front wheel drive Honda power for your replica? Why not? It's modern, gets great mileage, easy to work on and 'ricer wing' friendly. After all, it's 'only' a replica...

http://www.classicroadsters.com/hdr_427_fia.html

Been reading CC for a while, and have to say Slick, your nothing if not consistent. So do you use the spoon to scrape off the poop from your cornflakes every morning, or are you used to it by now. LOL

I am starting to turn over to the "as close as possible to the original" camp as well... I just don't know where to start. I have a perfectly great SPF right now, but would need to think long and hard about getting rid of it and start building something that looks seriously close to the original...like an ERA or something.

As for the question at hand, I love the look of the FFR coupe. I met the guys from Witby Motorsports a couple of weeks ago, and they seem like they know what they are doing. Give them a call and talk the coupe build through with them....they were more than willing to talk about the cars with me.

James
Old 09-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, I do sound 'hard core' a lot. Peter Brocks interpretation of HIS Coupe, as found in the modern rendition by SPF, is very well done. Like JBL, which also makes no apologies for deviating from original specs, it is a world class performer and can stand on it's own merits.

Lest we slide 'to far from the path', as I feel the industry in general has, I feel compelled to point out the 'obvious'. That to retain a certain standard of vintage correct specs is a worthy goal.

If I was looking for a 'track' car, above all else, I'd consider the FFR replica for it's light weight, ease of build, cost consideration, etc. Note; the FFR should be spec'd with IRS (a bit more expensive, but worth it)! I'd also consider the SPF, no doubt equally at home on the track or the street and a formbidable opponent. But if I was considering something more period correct, I'd consider the Classic Roadster HDR Coupe. I wonder how well IT would do on the track? Something I'd have to research first, if track use was high on my list of priorities.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-30-2006 at 05:43 PM..
Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
You need to just buy an original.
I bet deep down inside all the original owners wish nobody made a replica or a kit.
The original Brock designed Coupes were not all the same either. Read up on the Coupe. And I suppose you would build a transverse monoleaf coupe aswell?

The SPF Brock Coupe is a beutiful car, well built and is already set up for A/C. What more could you ask for.

I am all about as close to original as possible with looks and drivetrain and nothing looks as good as an original 427SC or a FIA but the Brock Coupe is definately a nice looking car. JMHO