28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     
Default What a beauty, but really that much?

I met a collector that has this car (Olthoff-built in '04) and he claims he's into the car for over $105K, it has 215 miles on the odo.
I was going to offer $80K but maybe I'm unrealistic...? I guess all he can say is no but he's got 2 Ferraris on the way...
Roush 402 with T56, nice radio in it.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-26-2006, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, Sold, ERA FIA on order
Not Ranked     

$105 seems like a lot. Especially when you can order a new one from a dealer in Georgia for around $85,000. For $105 you can get a turnkey Superformance GT40, from the same dealer.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, and at 215 miles, it's probably not quite sorted out yet so might as well get a new turnkey, huh? Could you PM me the contact info on that dealer? The well-known one in NC wants about $96K.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sometimes it comes down to 'timing'. Perhaps you want\need it NOW for whatever reason. The car is available, is the color you want and has the right specs for you. Some are willing to pay a premium if it all comes together cleanly.

Me? I'd pass, I have more patience than money. I also like a car that HAS been 'sorted out', one with a few thousand miles would be ideal.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

It seems a bit high to me but, without knowing how much Dennis charged for the install, I can only compare it to my SPF coupe which has a Roush aluminim 427 with 8 stack digital fuel injection (DFI), a lot of sorting out and improvements including removeable tranny cross brace, reworked seats and leather tunnel, power windows, remote door and hatch latches all around, stereo, undertray, etc., etc. I did my own install and sorting out so all I have are material costs which came to around $100,000 excluding sales taxes. The aluminum 427 and DFI add about $15,000 to the sales price of a basic Roush engine (candidly well worth it if you're going to keep the car and spread the cost out over the years you intend to own it and you won't end up saying "I wish I got the 427" and /or "DFI"). That said, the material cost alone for a SPF coupe with a basic engine package is about $85,000. Assuming install is $10,000 and however much more to sort out (and, yes, there is a fair amount of sorting out), I would figure a basic sorted out coupe to cost under $100,000 excluding taxes.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Timing IS everything, Excaliber. Thanks for reminding me about the virtue of patience I've been window shopping for a Coupe to complete my dream of a Shelby garage and I've never really seen the SPF Coupe up close. I saw 2 this past holiday weekend and I was thoroughly impressed by the fit and finish. I didn't get to drive 1 but I will.

rc, appreciate the numbers. Very helpful to have in the back pocket in my quest. I agree on the alloy 427 but I may go for 4X48IDAs instead of the DFI. I realize the advantages of DFI but I've installed Webers on my GT40 and I think I can handle the stress of sorting them out The digital part of FI intimidates me more...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-26-2006, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

I also have a Ferrari Daytona spyder with 6 dual throat Webers and, while balancing 12 velocity stacks is time consuming, it does run smooth once warmed up but it doesn't compare to the smoothness and balance of the DFI. Don't get me wrong, I love the sight of 8 velocity stacks on top of 4 dual throat Webers (not as nice as 12 but still very nice) and if authenticity was the goal, ie, a McCluskey Daytona coupe, that would be the way to go but with a SPF Brock/Shelby Daytona coupe authenticity isn't the goal, driveability is. Roush programs/maps the DFI and all you have to do is install it. I suppose it could be better, anything can, so once the warranty is up and, if you want, you can go into the program and remap it. However, Roush already spent a lot of time sorting it out so you have to ask yourself if you really need to. You can go in before the warranty is up but then you'll void the warranty. My car lights up every time, even when cold, is smooth through the entire RPM range, is driveable in LA fereeway stop and go traffic, driveable at low R's, great on the track, smooth right up to the rev limiter - which comes far too quickly it revs so fast. So, having driven both set-ups quite a bit, I have to admit that the DFI is far superior on both the road and the track.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Ray, I looked at a SPF coupe before I got the GT40 and it was a well sorted out unit with a nice stroked Roush motor (carbed). I passed since I just cant get passed the rear end but it probably is more practical than the 40. It sold for 74K.That was about 8 months ago. I think 105 is way much for that car. There are quite a few out there and one will pop up with your name on it. chuck
Old 11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I love that read end! Simple, smooth, nice shape.

...one mans poison...
Old 11-26-2006, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

looks good on a boat. but as you say....
Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTDOC
Ray, I looked at a SPF coupe before I got the GT40 and it was a well sorted out unit with a nice stroked Roush motor (carbed). I passed since I just cant get passed the rear end but it probably is more practical than the 40. It sold for 74K.That was about 8 months ago. I think 105 is way much for that car. There are quite a few out there and one will pop up with your name on it. chuck
I know what you're saying about the rear

...and the GT40. I love mine and love driving it but I would never get away with driving it anywhere within 10 miles of NYC. The coupe may even be driveable into the city. And I don't think it would be cop bait like the GT40 is (last 4 times I had it out, I got stopped each time) It is really a modern car the way Pete Brock has re-designed it. What a gorgeaus car in any color. I'm in love but I think I'll wait for the "right one".

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC #0039, 427R Roush
Not Ranked     

Agreed that $105K is high. Another consideration, however, is the fact that it hopefully is/was titled and/or registered in NY. That in itself can be time and $$$ savings. A NEW coupe can pose some issues when it comes time to inspect/register the car.

It IS a beauty though...
Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, car's registered in Virginia as a '65. The SPF0XX VIN will probably flag it at NYDMV as my Cobra did. A hassle with re-registering but doable. They just want their tax $$.
Anyway, I decided to take a ride down to Bill Ostrauer's (Snakepit) to pick up the E-Brake upgrade for the Cobra, whew! $500! and there was a brand new Coupe roller there in sunset red. Many improvements since car 100 it seems; and can be had for just under 70K. Add $15K for the powertrain and assembly and $85K would be about right.
I think I'll ride over the the Porche dealer and test drive the Cayman

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think $85,000 is a little understated on the cost of a completed new coupe. Excluding taxes, if the price of a new coupe is now just shy of $70,000 (it was $66,000 plus delivery and options when I bought #51) and going with new components, add $2,000 for a tranny, $13,000 for a basic 402 Roush engine package (which is tailored for the coupe, $14,000 for a 427 4 bolt - 2005 prices), $2,000 for an Olthoff coupe install kit (which is a bit high if you take all of the components separately but you're also getting Dennis' engineering so that everything fits and works and it is worth it), plus whatever your installer charges which, I understand, generally starts at $5,000 and up (I did my own install and have only heard what other installers are charging - and I'm assuming their price includes the cost of fuel pump, supplies, fluids, charging the A/C, etc., etc.), and a new finished coupe excluding taxes and registration is about $92,000. More or less depending on your engine package ($3,000 more for aluminum block, $8,000 more for DFI - again 2005 prices) and installer.

Last edited by rcweingart; 11-30-2006 at 05:40 AM..
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi RC, I was thinking more in lines of a non-roush (custom built 351, my builder) motor for $8K, tranny for $3K, 4 IDA48s for $3K, and install quoted at $3K. The $70K included the install kit and functional sidepipes.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi JC, good price for the motor especilly if it includes the correct pulleys, alternator, etc. Better price for the 4 IDA48's. Even better price for the install knowing all that is entailed. Is the install kit that you're referring to Dennis Olthoff's kit? Functional sidepipes (SPC calls "race" pipes) are an exchange for the rear exit pipes. I have both and, although the rear exits are quieter, the open pipes are more, I hate to use the term, macho and I left them on. With the open side pipes you don't have all the garbage of the extra plumbing, "H" and "S" pipes, so you can fabricate and install a full undertray for better aerodynamics. . . . And, the coupe is also a cop magnet, especially with the open side pipes so you have to watch how you drive. The speedo is numbered in 40 mph increments on a small faced gage which fools you into thinking you're not going as fast as you actually are going and you can't tell from the car how fast you're going because 100+ seems like 60 mph but for all of the traffic you're passing and how fast.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC #0039, 427R Roush
Not Ranked     

Ray, sounds like the price is right!!! My coupe was titled/registered in Maine and I had virtually no hassle at all with NY DMV. Just showed 'em the $$$ - funny how that makes things work ain't it???
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Ray Leno

Wow Ray! We are going to have to start calling you "Ray Leno." You will have my dream garage once you get this coupe!! Just adopt me....... please.

Khan
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansmith
Wow Ray! We are going to have to start calling you "Ray Leno." You will have my dream garage once you get this coupe!! Just adopt me....... please.

Khan
Hi Khan. I had to sell off 6 Minis, an MG1100, a GMC Denali, to even think of doing this. I'm seriously thinking of building my own, though. Looking at motors now.
I hope your build will be done by June '07. There's a benefit Polo match near you with a car show to boot (for the Alzheimer's Assoc.)that I'd like to ride to with you! Hope I remember (pun)

Cheers!
Ray

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-09-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi Khan. I had to sell off 6 Minis, an MG1100, a GMC Denali, to even think of doing this. I'm seriously thinking of building my own, though. Looking at motors now.
I hope your build will be done by June '07. There's a benefit Polo match near you with a car show to boot (for the Alzheimer's Assoc.)that I'd like to ride to with you! Hope I remember (pun)

Cheers!
Ray
I hope I am done by then! If I am, you have a ride! Sorry to hear you had to sell off the minis and the MG. That must have been hard (then Denali is a worthy sacrifice). Good luck with your purchase and/or build.

Khan