14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     
Default Last Chapter in SPF #51 Saga

LAST CHAPTER IN SPF #51 SAGA

Well, here we are, about six months after the Car & Driver testing that ended up with a couple of spun bearings caused by oil starvation when #51 pulled 1.12 G's on the skid pad – when the C & D driver either ignored or failed to notice that the oil pressure had dropped with the oil being pulled away from the pick-up during the high G’s.

Roush’s warranty excludes track events and Roush had not been notified of the last minute substitution of my car for the C & D tests depriving them of the opportunity to make sure my engine was set-up for these tests. Remember that the engine was a crate street engine, not a track engine, and I had not set the car up for the track, mainly, no dry-sump or Accu-sump.

Nonetheless, Todd Andrews at Roush took it upon himself to have my engine repaired. My car was promptly put on a Roush transporter and delivered from California to Dennis Olthoff’s in North Carolina to pull the engine at my request who shipped it back to Roush in Michigan. Roush determined that oil starvation not only spun a couple of bearings requiring the crank to be turned and the mains line bored, but new rods, cam, roller-lifters, valves, timing chain and gears as well. My engine originally came with the older style Superformance shallow oil pan that was designed for the car’s low ground clearance but wasn't the best in keeping the oil at the pick-up during high G's. Dennis and Roush came to this conclusion and the later engines have a Roush provided oil pan that's fitted on the later coupes and GT40’s. Roush installed the new pan on my engine as well. Other repairs were affected and the engine was shipped back to Olthoff’s for reinstallation. Dennis not only reinstalled the drive train but fine tuned the engine and car for me. He also re-aligned the car and relieved the hood for the K & N air filters. Hey, might as well have the 80 HP back!

Finally, with the car ready to be shipped, Todd looked to get my car on a Roush transporter to bring it cross country only to learn that Roush no longer uses their transporters for cross country hauls. At this point Todd had no in-house means of getting my car back to me. Up steps Lance Stander of Superformance and Peter Brock and pay the cost of a private cross-country hauler to bring my car back to me. Peter had already stepped up to cover the cost of the cosmetic damages to the car.

Thumbs up to Todd Andrews and Roush for going far and beyond their responsibility and to Peter Brock, Lance Stander of Superformance, and Dennis Olthoff for all they have done to make me whole. Thanks guys, really appreciate all you’ve done. Todd, Peter, Lance, Dennis – great guys!!! Roush, Superformance – great team!!! Brock Coupe/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe – great car!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Last edited by rob frink; 12-29-2010 at 06:59 AM..
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

This should be a sticky thread for all the SPF/Roush haters.

So when do we hear about the C&D driver getting kicked in the nuts? I want to see the footage on youtube.

-Dean
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf, stroked 460
Not Ranked     

haven't seen a C & D specialty car tuner war issue for about 2 years now wonder when is the next one
by the way great to hear you're getting the car back in one piece. Very nice of the stand up guys that took care of you, its stories like this that brings them customers.

Last edited by cobra crazee; 07-09-2007 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Daytona Coupe SPC0057 Ford 392
Not Ranked     
Default Good news your coupe is back

Ron,

That's great news! I have been following this story from the beginning as you know we are going to order our coupe soon. It just reinforces my thoughts about all involved, and opened my eyes to some others.
It was great to hear that Lance and Peter stepped up like that and that Todd really went beyond his requirements to get you back on the road.

Makes me feel so much more comfortable in my decisions...including NOT letting the magazines get into my car....

Larry
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Hi Larry,

Glad that my experience gave you input to help with your decisions. Lance, Peter, Todd all went way out of their way to help. I've had nothing but good experiences with Roush. I know there are those who don't share my feelings and I know you can get "more" in some respects from other engine builders but I doubt that anyone will match Roush's committment to their customer - and, if you want "more," Roush will build it but not with the warranty. The more radical the engine, the less likely they can warranty it. For street use, their "crate"engine is more than enough, even for track use if it is prepared for the track.

Regards,

Ron
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Daytona Coupe SPC0057 Ford 392
Not Ranked     
Default Mirrors on your Coupe

Hi Ron,

I have been looking at the mirrors on several Coupes and heard that you are using the large Talbot type of mirror. Do they work well?
I don't think that I am a fan of the sport bike mirrors that Doug and Peter have selected, and the Z06 mirrors seem too big and stick out too far. Let me know what you think.

Larry
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Larry,
I use 4-1/2" diameter lens bullet style mirrors. I got mine from VictoriaBritish.com, item #9-1839, $89.95 each. I got the largest replacement right side lens (standard right side magnification) I could from Pep Boys and cut out the same size circle as the flat lens. I replaced the flat lens with the cut out convex lens for use on the right side mirror. I retained and used the flat lens on the left side. The 4-1/2" lens has about 50% more lens area than the factory 3-3/4" lens and the standard magnification on the right mirror (which is the same magnification on all the newer cars so you are used to that magnification) makes the right side mirror even better. I also made a lens from a back-up convex lens but the magnification was too great and everything was fish-eyed for my taste so I stayed with the standard magnification. I located the mirrors as far forward on the door as possible without going so far that the windshield piller got in the way and they work terrific for me.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ron