LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Searching for one to buy
Not Ranked     
Default Coupe mfg

Hello:

Does anyone know which Cobra Coupe is the best bang for the buck! I've looked around and from what I see its between Shell Valley, Factory Five and Lesher motorsports. I think SV is the best but it could also be FFR. The wheel base in the FFR is 5" longer but does that mean there is more room? Lesher is more expensive but his quality is a little higher, is that better in the long run?

Does anyone have a clue or does it really matter since no one has a complete kit, your still have to buy extra parts.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you looked at the Superformance roller? Quite a bit more but a lot less work and great fitment.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Take a good hard look at the Lesher coupe - It's exceptionally well made, and superior in quality and accuracy to the FFR and the Shell Valley. The FFR and Shell Valley are definitely nicer cars, but the Lesher is in a whole different league. Yes, it's just a small amount more cost, but well worth it.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

FFR now offers complete kits.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I too was pondering this question... I think i like the FFR complete kit minus engine/tranny, wheels/tires, paint for $22,000. And as a benefit, FFR is closer to me than the other options. I thin a daytona will be my next project after HM1104.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Contradiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
Take a good hard look at the Lesher coupe - It's exceptionally well made, and superior in quality and accuracy to the FFR and the Shell Valley. The FFR and Shell Valley are definitely nicer cars, but the Lesher is in a whole different league. Yes, it's just a small amount more cost, but well worth it.
There seems to be a contradiction here. Lesher is superior in quality yet the FFR and Shell Valley are definitely nicer cars???? What?

Glen
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I am sure he meant "nice cars"
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Superformance gets recorded into the Shelby registry as a Shelby Daytona Coupe....you cannot go wrong there!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindle
The Superformance gets recorded into the Shelby registry as a Shelby Daytona Coupe....you cannot go wrong there!!
Not from what I heard. But now that Kirkhams are being included you never know.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

It will be included in the next version. I was already requested to send the info in for my coupe and have the "Licensed by SAI" plate that came with my car.

Doug
Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone started a build of one of the Lesher Coupes?

Very interested in this car.

Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

The Shelby Daytona Coupe was so named after the fact because the Superformance folks caved and are giving Old Shel' a piece of the action. Not so with the new Brock Coupe. Still, both are nice cars.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed220mph
The Shelby Daytona Coupe was so named after the fact because the Superformance folks caved and are giving Old Shel' a piece of the action. Not so with the new Brock Coupe. Still, both are nice cars.
Not sure what you mean by that. The Brock Coupe, Superformace Coupe and Shelby Daytona Coupe are all the same car. The name is more aligned to when they were made. They are all now called the Shelby Daytona Coupe, the other names are no longer used. They are also included in the Shelby registry.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428
Not sure what you mean by that. The Brock Coupe, Superformace Coupe and Shelby Daytona Coupe are all the same car. The name is more aligned to when they were made. They are all now called the Shelby Daytona Coupe, the other names are no longer used. They are also included in the Shelby registry.
Better check it out. You know about hand grenades, atom bombs and horsehoes, close counts in those cases. Some slight changes differentiates the Brock Coupe from the others. Here I am talking to the man about those differences.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen T
There seems to be a contradiction here. Lesher is superior in quality yet the FFR and Shell Valley are definitely nicer cars???? What?

Glen
Better late than never - I just saw this. I made a typo, sorry. Shell Valley and FFR are very NICE cars - I think the Lasher coupe is NICER and more accurate. It's really an updated version of the old Contemporary Coupe. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a terrible typist.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Went with FFR Coupe

Hi All,
Okay, this is my first post, but since I just comissioned someone to build me a FFR Coupe...figured I'd add my 2cents.

I researched most of the Coupe kits...spent a little more than a year looking around. At the end of the day, most if not all of the popular brands make a fine product...the biggest issues came down to:

- What do you want to do with the car (Street, track, race, show)? My Coupe will be a "Streetable Track Car" vice a "Trackable Street Car....and could end up being a track rat.

- How much time do you have? I have no time to build a car and very little time to even drive it.... So I am having someone build the car.

- How much $$ do you want to spend "INITIALLY." (Folks on this site can testify to how much you can sink into any of these during the life of the project.) I want the biggest bang for the buck given the above features.

Right or wrong, I narrowed my choices down to FFR and Superperformance...both are great products and to get the car I want...it would ultimatly cost about the same... Yeah really, I took a FFR and made it cost as much as a SPF.

However, there is a pretty good infrastructure of builders and data for setting up FFR's and if (when) I bend the car, replacement parts are reasonable (they're just Ford things). Also the SPF comes with far too nice of interior features to jus throw away for what will eventually "could" become a track rat.

So I bought a FFR Coupe and Levy Racing is doing the build.

Sorry, that was more like 5cents and not 2...hope it helps.

Regards,

KrisB
Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Don from D&D COBRA we make coupe also, we are building one right now with a 396ci yates twin turbo 1000HP
Thanks,
Don.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed220mph
Better check it out. You know about hand grenades, atom bombs and horsehoes, close counts in those cases. Some slight changes differentiates the Brock Coupe from the others. Here I am talking to the man about those differences.

Nice pic of Peter, almost as good as the one on our website .http://www.gearheadcity.com/images/PeterBrock/035.jpg My point about those being the same isn't lessened by the fact that they have made some changes, any car that stays is either developed/improved or disappears.I think you will find that many of the changes made to the newer cars have been sent to the owners of the earlier cars to bring them up to date. I think if you analyzed the construction of all the makes you listed (which are all the same) there are few differences in relation to their common points. By the way, I always refer to ours as a Brock Coupe and it still has the Brock emblems although I can have the Shelby ones sent if I wanted, same with the badge.I don't.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting! How is the nose piece going to close?
1000 HP?? Why? The car is designed to run great with HP between 350-550.
Too much overkill!! My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcobra
Hi Don from D&D COBRA we make coupe also, we are building one right now with a 396ci yates twin turbo 1000HP
Thanks,
Don.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOMAR
Too much overkill!!
Too much is just about right

ddcobra, could you give some details regarding the engine and turbo setup?

Simon