Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Kieth Craft 600 hp
Not Ranked     
Smile Original #2287 Coupe And Dilksies Build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys
I thought some of you would enjoy some pics i took last Sat at Dr Simeones
Sports car collection which includes the original CSX_2287 Daytona Coupe
this collection has to be one of the best in the world,he has over 60 sport cars from the 1920-1980.The photos are only the top floor,ill post the bottom flr in the near future.
The car 2287 has quite a history to it if you google it you can read all about it.I have now seen one of the original coupes and hope to get to see the other 5 which all have been restored.
Below are the links where you can see my car and its specs and the second one the photos of the car collection.
Hope you enjoy.
http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredveh...upe/index.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dilksie

Last edited by bob8461; 11-28-2007 at 05:15 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Looks like the sympathetic preservation is finished. The exhaust modifications are gone, there are windows on the doors and the incorrect text seems to be removed from the doors.

I wonder if Dr Simones will bring 2287 to the SAAC convention in NJ next summer.

On the other hand, how exactly do you arrange for a visit to his car collection? I bet a bunch of us clubcobra members from the Philly suburbs would love to have a chance to check it out.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Why would he remove Spectors "information" from the doors, but let some guy write on the roof?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1NTCOBRA
DR Simeone is moving his collection down near the airport i dont know at this time exactly where but i will post the info when it is available.I dont think he will be doing anymore tours before this occurs but if he does i will be notified and will post the time and date of same.At this time all he wants is for everyone to sign his guest book the tour is free. He is such a interesting person he knows the history of all of the cars in his collection and has driven
many of them on the most famous tracks in the world.
Hope this ans most of your ?
Bob Dilks

Last edited by bob8461; 11-28-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile When /where

1NTCobra
Pls look up about 1 threads for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra
Looks like the sympathetic preservation is finished. The exhaust modifications are gone, there are windows on the doors and the incorrect text seems to be removed from the doors.

I wonder if Dr Simeones will bring 2287 to the SAAC convention in NJ next summer.

On the other hand, how exactly do you arrange for a visit to his car collection? I bet a bunch of us clubcobra members from the Philly suburbs would love to have a chance to check it out.

Last edited by bob8461; 11-28-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default "Lost" Daytona Coupe — CSX2287

Hi my username is "vintagedr", I just found some postings about CSX2287. Hopefully you can help me with my inquiries. I'm currently researching the history of the "Lost" Daytona Coupe. I'm confident you know it was the only Coupe of the six built in the US. This particular Cobra ran in nine international races that included Sebring, Reims, Spa-Francorchamps, the Tour de France, etc. When the car was retired Breedlove brought to Bonneville and set 23 new speed records. I'm trying to find anything and everything photographed and/or written regarding the history of it's racing accomplishments, it's downfalls, the '64 pit fire at Daytona, the Breedlove/Bonneville records. I am collaborating with a master model builder in Texas and our goal is to document the history of this coupe with 1:18 scale precision diecast replicas. Any photos of the Coupe during the nine races it ran, and in particular it's history at Bonneville would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, one of you seems to know what words were on the door panels when Spector "owned" it. Look forward to hearing back from anyone who could help. Thanks, vintagedr.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vintagedr
I will ask Dr Simone who now has the car in his collection he may know.
But also you should contact the designer of the car Peter Brock.
Bob Dilks
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Vintagedr,

Dave Friedman was the official photographer for Shelby American. He is the author or co-author of at least 6 Shelby related books.

There is a rather expensive out of print book by Peter Brock, Dave Friedman and George Stauffer called "Daytona Cobra Coupes". The book came in 2 varieties, a normal one and a limited edition with a serial number plaque and signed by dozens of Shelby employees, drivers, etc. I think the normal edition of the book usually sells for over $1000 when one comes on the used market. I think the limited edition usually goes for at least twice as much. But if you are really serious about knowing the story, that is a book you should read.

Luckily for you, another book that was out of print for a very long time has come back into print. It is called "The Cobra-Ferrari Wars" by Mike Shoen. Since it is back in print, you can get yourself a brand new copy for $100 direct from the author: THE COBRA-FERRARI WARS - AWARD-WINNING CLASSIC DIRECT FROM AUTHOR

If you find yourself looking for books that are not so specific to Daytona Coupes, there are some general Cobra books written by authors that hang out on this site. One of them is Trevor Legate. He seems really cool. Wallace Wyss has apparently returned somewhat recently, his new username is something like "historybuff".

Ken

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 02-09-2008 at 07:41 AM..
Old 02-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and 427S/C
Not Ranked     

Great stuff thanks a bunch for the share!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob — Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate your kind gesture to contact Dr. Simone on my behalf. Does he have scheduled tours open to the public? If you have any info as to how one can get an opportunity to see his collection let me know. Your pictures were great, and very helpful. Do you know what words were painted in yellow on the door panels when Spector had the car? I believe it has the words "speed record" as part of the message. A number of the contacts I have made also suggested Peter Brock, is he a fairly open to strangers contacting him? And what is the best way to go about it? Once again Bob, thank you for your help. Kind Regards, Frank Lionetti
Old 02-09-2008, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile #2287 Daytona Coupe

If i were you i would contact {Bager} on this site he will enlighten you with details only he might kmow and i would hope you would also let me know all of the little know facts about the car that he might tell you. I have a replica of the car and would be very interested in what Bager has to say.
I will let everyone on the site know when Dr. Simones site will be open to the public again
as of now it is still being moved to a new location down near the airport in Phila.
Bob Dilks
Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ken — Thank you for your reply and help. I'm a bit familiar with Friedman's history and his historic contributions in the numerous books he has published. I would really like to contact Dave, but I understand he can be a "difficult" person to get in contact with. I have a number of his signed books. I appreciate you turning me onto the "The Cobra-Ferrari Wars" and Trevor Legate, I will look into them both. As far as the out of print "Daytona Cobra Coupes" book. This book was brought to my attention about three weeks ago, I wasn't aware of the book's significance. I hope the following doesn't bore you, in no way do I mean to sound like I'm bragging, I just thought you might enjoy the story. I was casually doing more online research one evening last week and stumbled upon a copy of this book that was for sale. Well suffering from a mild case of "gottahaveit" that evening I called the seller, and it got even better. This particular book was very rare. This was one of only 38 in a series of “Shelby Team” books that were given to Shelby Employees who helped Peter Brock. Number Plated "Chassis No. CS 13/38. This book is new and unopened...still in the original shrink-wrap signed by Peter Brock. Also enclosed are the same original hand signed signature pages by the 44 Team Members that are in the LE 400 series. Once we agreed on the price, I hung up, and immediately realized there was a new problem. How am I ever going to read the book, I certainly didn't want to open the shrink-wrap, I purchased it as a hopeful investment. An hour later the problem was solved when the seller called me back, he had the foresight to realize my dilemma because he had the same problem when he first purchased the sealed book. He asked if I wanted a used copy of the original printing with only Peter Brock's signature. We agreed on a reasonable price and the rest was history. My apology for such a long, long tale. But I had to tell some. Hopefully you'll still communicate with me, I promise my replies will be much, much shorter. Kindest Regards, Frank Lionetti
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

bob8461 ... re your " bager " comment, I believe you intended to say contact " BADGER " on cc . Bill
Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

BOB, GREAT PICTURES..I appreciate viewing them..#2299 is here in Scottsdale and I've been trying to get in to see it...Tom Walton is still racing it at Historics...His most recent was Monterey not too long ago...When I get in to see it..I'll take alot of pics and send them your way.. Thanks again, Dave Shulak , Scottsdale Arizona
Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

Bob Bondurant has a new book out with Coupe pictures i don't believe anyone has seen in it.. The book is entitled Bob Bondurant America's Uncrowned World Driving Champion..You cna purchase it at any book store or on line at Bondurant Racing..I'm attending a dinner for his 40th Anniversary of having a racing school out at his track...I'll get pictures and send them to you Bob so you can post them.....Dave Shulak, Scottsdale Arizona....P.S. You can see some pictures recently taken of Bob and Dan Gurney under my picture here..Just click on the camera....
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David
I love the pics as you know i have a FFR .Pls tell me more about Bobs school,how long is it ,cost,and do you need your own car?
Bob Dilks