14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Daytona (from USR) 302RDI Yates headed + Weber induction
Not Ranked     
Default Rear hub broken

Today I need your help to solve my problem! I have an USR coupe Daytona and until now it was working well. Yesterday after a test track I state that the car was slipping. After investigation on the rear end, il find my hub broken. I don't know the reason? My question is where can I find this kind of part?

The broken part

Right side is OK

Your informations are welcome
Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Find a good machinist and build 2 new ones

nanard289 Looks like metal fatiged. Are the bearings OK in the other housing? You may not like my answer but you have one hub in OK condition, Find a good machinists with good steel and have him make 3 new hubs from a tool steel if possible. IMO I would replace the other hub also because it has the same abuse as the one that snapped. Keep a spare for just in case down the road another one goods bad. If you cann't find someone there, Mark Williams can make any hub assembly you want. He has a site. Hope this helps. Rick L. Ps gald you and the car where not hurt. Question on the bolts on the hub, 2 different styles of bolts. 3 grade of one and 3 of a higher rating? Rick
Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Daytona (from USR) 302RDI Yates headed + Weber induction
Not Ranked     

Hi RICK LAKE
Thanks for your pertinent comments. You are perfectly right, my actual hub iron is just good enough to make shoes for an horse. I can easily to bite it with a file. So I have to replace both! Next step will be to find a good machinist ... and strong iron
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default NO IRON, You need Tool Steel or close.

nanard289 You are kidding about the iron thing? RIGHT, You are looking for tool steel or close to it. Chrome moly at lease. Rick Ps your hub looks like a jag outter hub? Is this possible. You might have to get a little machine work done to fit on your car. How many spline is the axle?

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 04-27-2008 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: I had a brain fart
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Nanard289, It might be time to try something else like the rear wheel brg assy from a 84>> corvette. The stud spacing is very close if not the same as a Jag, has a fine spline axle etc & the hub assy bolts on to the upright with three bolts. If your still using U-joints you might even find that they are the same series as the jag, earlier vettes use UJ- later are CV. plenty of these advertised on ebay-just type in 85 corvette rear axle brg in your seach question ---should get you there. We have them in the TVR out here-- no hassles with them to date.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
nanard289 You are kidding about the iron thing? RIGHT, You are looking for tool steel or close to it. Chrome moly at lease. Rick Ps your hub looks like a jag outter hub? Is this possible. You might have to get a little machine work done to fit on your car. How many spline is the axle?
Hello RICK LAKE, I don't know the original hub standard. It was included on the package with my UPS kit. It is a 10 square spline and the outside diameter is 1.25". Sur RICK LAKE, a tool steel with a chemical surface treatment will be the best. I continu my investigations
Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
Nanard289, It might be time to try something else like the rear wheel brg assy from a 84>> corvette. The stud spacing is very close if not the same as a Jag, has a fine spline axle etc & the hub assy bolts on to the upright with three bolts. If your still using U-joints you might even find that they are the same series as the jag, earlier vettes use UJ- later are CV. plenty of these advertised on ebay-just type in 85 corvette rear axle brg in your seach question ---should get you there. We have them in the TVR out here-- no hassles with them to date.
Hello Jac Mac
Coincidence! Your comment is exactely what I was looking for. As you say, a Corvette rear end adaptation including half shaftes and bearings could be a good solution. I have to found a Corvette hub to check the bearing size and to to see if an adaptation is possible
Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile 84>>Vette axle brg assy

Here is a pic of what you want- several on ebay at moment. A couple of them have part numbers as well in description.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
Here is a pic of what you want- several on ebay at moment. A couple of them have part numbers as well in description.
Many thanks for your help Jac Mac, I will follow your idea. This way is a good approach to try to solve my problem. Do you know (certainly ) the name of the special axle between the half shaft and the hub?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     

If it is an Upstate Replicars Daytona it is a Jaguar rear end. It should not be too difficult to get spare parts.

The Daytona from Upstate is now produced by Lesher Motorsports. They should be able to help you.

http://www.leshermotorsports.com/index.html

George Petrus at
Accurate Machine Products
20417 Earl St., Torrance, CA 90503

May also be able to help you. However, I cannot find his site anymore.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Olof Blom View Post
If it is an Upstate Replicars Daytona it is a Jaguar rear end. It should not be too difficult to get spare parts.

The Daytona from Upstate is now produced by Lesher Motorsports. They should be able to help you.

http://www.leshermotorsports.com/index.html

George Petrus at
Accurate Machine Products
20417 Earl St., Torrance, CA 90503

May also be able to help you. However, I cannot find his site anymore.
Hello Hans-Olof Blom
Thanks for your information. I have send a mail to George Petrus and I am waiting for payment instruction and availibility. I was surprised to note that his bank is located in Czech Republic . His site is here: http://www.justcobras.com/ProductsPages/AccessMain.html
I have also send yesterday an e-mail to Ryan Lesher and I am waiting for an answer
Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Search under----Corvette Spindle Axle Shaft----- must be after 1984 model.

Ebay Auction # 280207313001 is a 1988 one at moment which has ABS wheel-- That is only difference between earlier & late until CV upgrade. U- Joint was same as Jag I think.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

That piece doesn't look like a Jag (see below). But those coarse splines are unusual for any late-model cars. It would be weird, but it might be a pre-1984 Corvette.

For the record, the Jag uses a heavier-duty U-joint than a street Corvette ever did.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

GREAT information! Manythanks strictlypersonl for your help. Finaly I have decided according to the good forum's member suggestions to adapt a Corvette C4 hub, including bearing and spindle axle to my old hub. In few weeks, I will post some pictures of the result (I have to make some drawings for my local machinist.
See you later
Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last week, I have received the C4 hub, bearing and axle parts (thanks Jac Mac for your e-bay links ). The first stat I do is strangely, the C4 wheel bearing (double row spherical rollers with angular contact) is integrated with the hub (see picture 1). So I have to follow Rick Lake's idea and to go to the workshop to machine the C4 hub in order to adapt my classic tappered Timken bearings. Then, I have draw a special coupling arrangement to adapt the external Cobra hub to the internal C4 hub (not so easy to do it). Next step I stat that it was impossible to introduce my 1-1/2" socket inside the Cobra hub to tight the big C4 axle nut. So I have to reduce it from 1-1/2" to 1-5/16" to allow a free access to socket. As I had reduce the nut size, it was necessary to reduce the cap in charge to secure it. Then, when I was able to tight the central nut, I discover that the nut was too thick to go until to the hole pin (and the C4 axle was not long enought to add a new hole). This problem because I had an extra thickness with my double hub sandwitch. So I have to reduce the big nut thickness by 5mm. Also it was necessary to reduce little the C4 axle yoke to have a good clearance with my cast aluminum hub carrier (see picture). Next week I hope to be ready to install everything... and to be able to do 1000 miles at least without problem
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here the pictures showing both hub modifications. C4 hub doesn't look very nice due to the initial 5 hole stud to fixe the wheel (with a 4.5" center line) which are in conflict with the 6 hole (with 4.25" center line) on the Cobra hub. Anyway, it looks strong enough
Attached Images