Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > David Kee Toploader Transmissions Inc. Speak with David.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Smooth shifting

David, you are the man so here goes..............

I am not happy with the way the toploader shifts. Here are some items.

What is the best shifter for nice smooth/fast shifting. Think road race. Some times now when I really go for the gears fast, I miss them. The current shifter has a kit from Unique that mounts the shifter forward on the transmission so that the shifter handle comes up straight instead of the bent forward type shifter. Are you familiar with this? Can you see this as being a performance issue?

Centerforce clutch. The travel seems excessive to disengage. 3/4 slave, 3/4 master. Peddle effort seems about right. How should I adjust for the throw out bearing and how much for release? I want to put a travel stop in but need to get it adjusted correctly first.

Fluid recomendation?

Down shifting to first from second required double clutching, or a lot of patience. No noise or other drama, just time. Thoughts?

I no idea if the bellhousing and transmission where perfect aligned or just bolted together. Is this something I should look at? How would I begin?

If you could give me a 'grocery' list of items to go through, that would be GREAT!

Thanks
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-07-2003, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Rick, my car came with the same shifter set up, a Hurst Comp plus with an Indy straight stick. My problem was that when slamming into third, my knuckles were into the toggle switches. I purchased a new stick from Hurst that curves back towards the driver right out of the boot and then goes straight up from there. It's black annodize aluminum and is about an inch shorter in height. I put a black Hurst ball with the toploader pattern, which sits perfectly for quick shifts. Best improvement I ever made.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no problem with slamming the dash.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't shift bad, but I can not beleive that this is as good as it gets!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-08-2003, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Rick and Tony,

I have a toploader in my Cobra as well but my shifter came from Mark at Toploader Heaven. I have no problems with the way it shifts but like Tony I sometimes get my knuckles slammed into my dash during hard shifts. In fact at Road America I my knob came off the shifter while going to third and my hand actually continued forward enough to turn off my fuel pump switch. My car stopped at the end of the long straight-a-way. Everyone passed me!

Mark is building me a short shifter just for racing that will not extend forward as much. I hope this works.

By the I think reverse is susposed to be difficult to engage.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, so our shifter is a comp plus with an indy stick and not an indy shifter? The lever you bought, was it 538 0202?

I am going to look up toploader heaven. Are your dash switches the covered aircraft type? Would that have stopped you from turning off the pump?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I used to have a hesitant shifter, installed Royal Purple, and the problems went away. I also had good luck with Red Line Synthetic gear oil, but it's harder to find when you need it so order ahead if you want to run it. In fact, I use RedLine Oil.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought there may be some help available in the lube department. I can readily get red line and royal purple locally. I have used redline in the past and really like it.

I am thinking that I have an Indy shifter and not one of the super shifters nor the competition plus shifters. I do not recall seeing the adjustable stops on the shifter like the comp and super shifters.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE USED ALL THE SHIFTERS, WHICH IS BEST AND WHAT DIFFERENCE DID YOU NOTICE?

I have always wondered about the linkage setups. The sloppy way hurst linkage is assembled with the bushed pin in a hole type setup always seems to me to be a very cheap way out. I have often wondered what difference a more positive spherical type set up might do.

Any one used their blueprinted/nascar style shifters?

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-08-2003, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Rick,

When my shift knob came off my hand careened (sp) into the fuel pump switch (that is the aircraft type with the cover) and I turned my fuel pump off. I didn't even know it for a few seconds after I got stopped off track.

Here is Marks web site.

http://www.toploaderheaven.com

I believe that David probably has the same type of shifters as Mark. You may want to check out Marks Pictures and see if your shifter is like one of the ones he has.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-08-2003, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Rick, that's the one. It puts the knob in a perfect location for slamming through the gears. That tall Indy chrome stick is awful. Part of the challange is to find one that is in stock. Hurst does production runs and inventories a limited number of "specialty" sticks. I was lucky when I ordered mine. I bought it through Barnett Performance here in Atlanta. It was around $60 or $70.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The TKO II was improved by using ULTRA SHIFT made by Performance Unlimited and shift lever was replaced with one made by OLTHOff. The lubricant made power shifts 100% better. The short - offset shift lever by OLTHOFF is a work of art and doesn't bite the palm of your hand. Shifter is much better positioned for driving. It didn't help with heavy wheel spin up to 110.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Um....... so, David.....

.......... no comment
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-19-2003, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guys I do not get to watch the forum as much as I would like to.
If you are having to double clutch you are effectively changing the input shaft speed and allowing the engagement teeth of the gear to line up. The problem is probably not in the shifter but in the clutch disengagement or the synchronizer assemblies. The shifter has a very basic function of selecting gears. If it is adjusted incorrectly or worn the transmission will simply not shift even if you double clutch.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DAVID!!!!!!!!!

As I live and breath! How come I just knew you where gone to say that?!?

Ah, another project for this winter! Any pointers on inspecting the synchros?

Thanks much

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I bet it is simply driver error

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 12-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

I bet it is simply driver error
Get back to work will ya!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-19-2003, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, the clutch might not be fully disengaging. Its not always easy to tell. When you take that tranny apart, inspect the old syncros. The teeth might be pretty rounded off which would slow down engagement. The inside round part should not be smooth, it needs to be rough or nurled looking. This is so that it slows down the gear to match the engagement of the next gear. I would replace the syncro's for sure, they are cheap. The syncro's mesh with a slider gear. If the slider gears are rounded, it will slow up engagement of the syncro. You can sharpen them yourself as long as there is still enough meat left on the slider. I had a top loader haging up on me but new syncro's and sharpend sliders did the trick. Scott
Old 12-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com