Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > David Kee Toploader Transmissions Inc. Speak with David.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Just blown my toploader - diagnosis please?!

I suppose I better admit now that we're talking here about an HEH-P i.e. 25 spline "twister"....

Was holding the cob at 3K rpm in first then nailed it and one almighty bang at 5k rpm!

All gears lost and any attempt to drive resulting in a 'rotational' bang-bang-bang-bang sound from underneath.

Now my diff has been quite noisy for a while so I suppose I could have done the damage there but having read about the weak 25 spline shaft I figure it moght be that?

If it is can I upgrade to something more hefty?

To make matters worse the tow rope cut through part of the nose on the way home so all in all an expensive night!!

Any ideas gratefully received......

Cheers
Old 07-23-2005, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

How's the driveshaft?

Does the driveshaft turn when the tranny's in gear?

If the driveshaft is intact and doesn't turn when the trans is in gear and the clutch is out, then yeah, it's your tranny.

Yes, you can upgrade mainshafts. When I rebuilt my HEH-G, I upgraded to a new 28 spline mainshaft, a full road race rebuild kit, and some other goodies.

You'll have to change tailhousing bushings.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah - figured I'd need to get someone to check out whether it moves or not but i just can't bring myself to go back out there tonight. Will check tomorrow - fingers crossed it's the diff as they're a bit more plentifull over here in UK than toploader spares! But I'm fairly sure it sounded more 'at the front' than 'at the back'....

Does the 28 spline have any affect on gearing etc.?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

You know, You might just want to have David Kee do his magic on your trans.

Then again, A swap to A 5 speed may work.

Sounds like you should probably secure something to replace it before you yank that one.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

28 spline does not affect gearing...just strength.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Just blown my toploader - diagnosis please?!

Quote:
Originally posted by smash

I suppose I better admit now that we're talking here about an HEH-P i.e. 25 spline "twister"....
All gears lost and any attempt to drive resulting in a 'rotational' bang-bang-bang-bang sound from underneath.

Now my diff has been quite noisy for a while

It seems like you need to rebuild/replace both.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-31-2005, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This kinda seals the deal on the shaft I think!! You can even see blueing of the steel where it's sheered it got so hot - ouch!

Old 07-31-2005, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Just blown my toploader - diagnosis please?!

Quote:
Originally posted by smash

Now my diff has been quite noisy for a while
You'd probably be best to check it out as well, since it's out of commission at the present time.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Justs needs to be rebuilt with a new shaft. Looks like typical metal fatigue of a fourty year old part. Give David Kee a call and he will ship you a special black plastic box made for shipping toploaders. Good luck,
Tim
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yup - gonna call David today.

I have a whiney 3.07 diff at present and am looking at 3.31 as a replacement while all this is out. Theoretical 157MPH top speeds are all well and good but it's a bit too tall for me at the mo.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got the 3:31, I like it. Nice compromise between to high and to low. Wierd how that shaft twisted like that, stuff happens I guess!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since your tranny is likely the Wide Ratio, I'd keep the 3.07.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes it's a wide ratio, although I don't really get the the wide/ close thing - I mean the close ratio's got an even taller 1st which would kill mine off the line!

I'd keep the 3.07 if I had larger torque and power, but I have a little 302 with a solid cam and the power band's a bit higher up so the 3.07 blunts it a little of the line
Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

IT MUST BE THE TIME OF YEAR - OR THE ALIGNMENT OF THE PLANETS - OR SOME SUCH DUMB THING.

SATURDAY I DOWNSHIFTED FROM 4TH TO 3RD AND HEARD A "LOT OF NOISE" (MUCH LIKE BOLTS AND NUTS LOOSE IN A COFFEE CAN). SHIFTED BACK INTO 4TH AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE. STOPED FOR A RED LIGHT AND WHEN STARTING OFF 1ST, 2ND AND 3RD ALL MADE THE SAME NOISE. I EASED IT INTO 4TH AND NURSED IT ABOUT A MILE TO A SHOPPING MALL WHERE I WAITED 3:20 FOR AAA TO SEND ME A FLATBED.

GOT IT HOME AND ONTO THE LIFT, WITH SOME LOCAL MUSCLE POWER, AND DRAINED THE CASE.

THERE WERE MORE DAMN TEETH IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET THAN A WEST VIRGINIA DENTAL SCHOOL.

CALLING DAVID KEE THIS AFTERNOON.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford F100; 496 Shelby, MassFlo, BlueThunder, Kee-Al-TopLoader, Detroit Locker
Not Ranked     

For whatever it's worth I just received my W/R Toploader (aluminum by the way) with a 2.90 1st. I'm running a close ratio now with a 3.00 rear ratio on a Ford 9 inch and I have to really feather the clutch and throttle to get her off the the line. When I get it going I'm very optomistic about the ratio layout. 2.90 for the launch and smooth stepouts there after to the 1:1 final. I'd love a 5 or a 6 speed but I'm committed to the Toploader. Good luck. Check out the Carbon Fiber Drive shafts. He He He. Spend that money.

Ernie, you need to high-light that you're in Hawaii and your driving habit are not like anywhere else. 3.31 might be great for you over there but Oklahoma or Texas etc. might have different needs.

Scott

Last edited by Scott M Jackson; 02-11-2007 at 09:16 PM..
Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point Scott. If I were in Texas, as much as I love the top loader, I'd have to consider my 5 speed options.

BUT, I can assure you it would have a 4 speed shift knob and reverse linkage for the 'correct' look!