28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Track events in Florida

Just an FYI. I have noticed there are a ton of track day events this summer all located in Florida for those inclined. You could probably run your car 2 or 3 times a month if you wanted to. Check out Chin, Hooked on Driving and NASA. You should see a few Cobras along the way. Most times the admission is FREE to watch. You might become inspired!

Sebring, West Palm Beach, Homestead, Daytona.

Last edited by cbreez; 03-22-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #880, Ford Racing 392 w/4 - 48IDA Webers, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I will be at Sebring April 9th with Chin.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

I looked on the suggested event organization but can't find an event at Daytona. I'm moving to Tampa this summer and I'm setting my driving schedule. I have already registered for VIR in April and May. I will most likely go to Sebring in July but I can't find anything for Daytona. Anyone have web site that list HPDE dates for Daytona?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hooked on driving.com ?

It's a new date.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks I'll check it out...
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-events

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cost?

I have looked at the Hooked on Driving Events calender and it seems that they are a bit more expensive than what I'm use to paying. Are track just more expensive to have HPDE events in FL than in VA. For instance, I'm running a Track Daze event in April at VIR for $395 (2 days 23-24). You typically get 4/5 sessions per day at 30 mins each and a t-shirt. VIR full course is 3.2 miles. I haven't been to Palm Beach but from looking at their web site it doesn't seem to be as the same caliber of track. And yet its $475 for 2 days. I'm not trying to bash organization or facility just wanted to know what to expect when moving to FL..... Thanks Mac
Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Mac, that's a big 10-4. You're going to see ~300/day for track events. Chin Motorsports, NASA, and Hooked On Driving are the main organizations, as mentioned. I've heard of guys in California paying $100 for a track day at the main tracks. Not sure why the disparity. I suppose it's what the market will bear.

Sebring is a wonderful place, though. There's no place like it.

I ran Daytona prior to the repaving and did not like it. I won't be back. It was boring to me and fairly dangerous. Homestead is a fun track, just a long haul to get down there and you'll want to look for 2-day events to make it worthwhile. All 3 organizations run there.

PBIR is a nice facility. The track is not bad. I would rank it behind Sebring and Homestead.

There is a new track in Starke which is NE of Gainesville. There have been some configuration / safety issues they supposedly have sorted out. Not sure about it as I haven't seen it with the changes. If so, that may be a somewhat lower cost option. I'd pay $200 to go there.

Several of us from Orlando are running at Sebring with Chin April 9th. A few cobras, Panoz cars, and I'm taking my Miata.

Mac, plan on spending a lot of time at Sebring. That ain't a bad thing. If I could only run Sebring for the rest of my life I wouldn't complain.

Oh, occassionally some of us get up to Roebling Road in Savannah, GA. That's a fun track. We had a Chump Car race there a few months ago and had a real good time.

See you at the track.

Jim
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mac, one more thing... make sure you go to this Yahoo email list and join the group. Here in Florida there are a lot of cobra owners on it. Also quite a few Backdraft guys, including the guys with BDR TD cars. When we're figuring out which track events to go to and who's going a lot of times it will be discussed on this email list.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pbcoffrog/
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jmimac,

Thanks I will...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim

Thanks for the info on the tracks, I guess that just the price there. I'm actually moving to Tampa so I expect your right Sebring will be where I spend most of my time. Same as here in VA, VIR was the closest to where I lived until NCCAR facility opened but it was nothing compared to VIR. NCCAR was 1.5 hrs and VIR 3.5. I'm really looking forward to having a track such as Sebring in my back yard!

See you at a track this summer... Mac
Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you wanted to run at Daytona one time look at it this way. There is no Club fee to join ($50). The France's are greedy bastards, probably pricey for that reason also. So for a shot on the high banks after repaving it's only a bit more than a Chin event. You would probably find out the limits of your car and your nerve.
Looking again, most of the HOD prices are the same as Chin, don't know why they bump up occasionally.

Last edited by cbreez; 03-25-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I not opposed to paying. it cost what it cost. I will most likely go to Daytona! I was just curious as to why the track are more expensive in FL
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sebring this weekend Saturday: 90 cars registered (SOLD OUT) with 6 Cobra's running.

Remember it's FREE to watch.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Here are a few of the DSCC cars that ran, a great turnout, and a great day all round. Really good to see some new guys at the track.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bailey; 04-09-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, I enjoyed the opportunity to run at speed and thanks to the Cobra guys there and the tips from Bailey, (even the Factory 5 guys!) for the moral support of one another.

BTW, congrats to #889 for perservering through a problem, getting beyond it and qualifying for solo.

My B/D went through all of my track time without putting a wrench on it. Of course... you have to prepare first at home.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Going to the track is not like going to the Friday night cruise-in. People don't care what you drive. It's common to get help from any / everyone if you need it.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mac, we are running a Chump Car race at VIR at the end of July. It looks like Jim Pomroy and I are driving our Miatas up there for a Chin event in early July. Pomroy is an instructor with Chin and a fellow Chumpster. I've never run VIR so it will be a chance for me to get some seat time before the 24 hour Chump Car race. Are you going to that Chin event up there? It's July 4 & 5.

So far we have 3 races and 3 podiums. It's been more fun than we can stand.

Jim
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Going to the track is not like going to the Friday night cruise-in. People don't care what you drive. It's common to get help from any / everyone if you need it.
Ditto, the guys that frequent these events are some of the best people you could ever meet. I've made some life long friends from building FFRs, and BDRs, then running them at the track.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another Sebring weekend coming up on June 11, 2011.

Last edited by cbreez; 05-23-2011 at 10:41 AM..