Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2001, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Road Atlanta Jan. 5, 2002

O.K., yes, it will be cold, but that date is all they had. Snowing = refund. Rain = use the wipers. I wish I had wipers. Heck, I wish I had a windshield. Do they make a 12 volt electric blanket ? Maybe it will be nice weather..........
WWW.Worldcarz.com
By the way, I have no relationship with this organization , other than as a member.
Happy Holidays to all....
J.W.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:53 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Everyone,

You guys should really consider participating in one of these WordCarz events. I've had the pleasure of attending two of these events at the Kershaw track in SC as a spectator/drooler and had a blast both times. This event allows you to drive your car at fantastic speeds in a much (MUCH) safer environment than you're gonna find elsewhere: plenty of run-off room, no oncoming traffic, no cops, no kids throwing frisbees in the street... you get the idea.

I'm aware that wheel-to-wheel racing does not appeal to most of you, because of the risks involved. No problem. The WorldCarz events allow you to run against nobody but the clock if you wish, with passing allowed in only certain areas, and only after being waved around by the slower driver. Where else are you gonna push the limits of your car? On the street? On the entrance ramp? On some 2-lane surrounded by pines on the outskirts of town? C'mon, guys.

Steve and Shayla run the event and I believe they do it pretty much for the fun of it. Lord knows they aren't making much money from it. They are super-friendly folks and are truly a pleasure to deal with.

If you don't feel comfortable running your car, then just show up and watch. Spectators simply pay $10 for the entire day and sign a waiver (or two waivers if you wanna ride with someone). That's right, you can even take a spin as a passenger in someone else's car, provided you (and the car) have the necessary safety equipment.

Hell, it's worth $10 just to hear John crank up that Lola!

Keith
Old 12-29-2001, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Bandit Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit
Not Ranked     

John, Long time no see. Are you definitely going to be there on the 5th? I'm going to try and make it out there. I've been wanting to tackle Road Atlanta since I bought my car. Do you have any idea what kind of track time we'll get for the money with this club? TIA
Old 12-29-2001, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My cars are in a million pieces, but I hope it comes together for the fifth.
I still plan on bringing something regardless,even if I have to go to AVIS and rent a Mustang. Road Atlanta is expensive - 8000 -
but the entry is still 195 for saturday I think. Get there early, you are in the first group to go out. There are three groups, 50 or so cars total, = plenty of time.
better be there by 7
Old 12-29-2001, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Could you post some more on this event and directions as I might try to drive up to at least spectate. I doubt most of our plastic cobras would be allowed on the track.

Ruble Tres of DSCC
Old 01-01-2002, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This event might get postponed due to weather until next weekend, better keep checking www.worldcarz.com for an update. I have some really beat up military Humvees we could run if it snows...

Last edited by Johan; 01-01-2002 at 12:13 PM..
Old 01-01-2002, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The event is going ahead as planned, Go to
www.Roadatlanta.com for driving directions.
go to www.worldcarz.com for event info.
Replica Cobras are allowed in whatever class they are prepared for, but racing requires a race car and race liscense, while track time just requires common sense. This probably is not the weekend weatherwise for it though...
Old 01-03-2002, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

John,
I don't think I will make it, I know I threw out my snow shovel.

Dan
Old 01-03-2002, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anybody know where they sell 24" wide snow tires ? Dan, at least I'm participating.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I'll be participating from a far. Hell, with all the clouds you guys are sending down this way I don't think we broke 60 degrees yet today. It's not just the fact I have no snowshovel, I don't own any long pants any more. I'm glad to see all the Cobra winter things happening up north. We have 4 months for the weather to break so I can travel north to meet everyone.

Dan
Old 01-03-2002, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era,427 genesis side oiler
Not Ranked     

John, Jim Strickland and I will be there. Look forward to meeting you. Hopefully you will have the gt-40 I so desperately want to check out. See you Saturday, Jim and I will be looking for you.

Jeff Neely
Old 01-04-2002, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff ,
Are you sure Jim Strickland is going to be there?
His Grandmother died, and the funeral is Saturday, after which we are having 50 or so people over, as Jim is my wifes cousin.
I still hope to get out of the house, but maybe just for a few morning (Mourning ?) laps....
J.W.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Road Atlanta was a blast, the weather was perfect. I met Jeff Neely and "toy Collector" , and I bet they are out on the track next time....
regards,
J.W.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:17 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Glad to hear you guys had fun and also glad that several of the Atlanta-area guys could make it. I wish I coulda been there.

Keith
Old 01-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

John, it was a pleasure to meet you (and your toys!!), and yes I will run the Cobra at the next one and I will make sure we get Jeff to partake as well. I am doing a Porsche Driver's Ed end of the month at Road Atlanta to start off the 2002 season.

I can also tell you that my crystall ball shows I have to have one of those Winston cup cars in my garage in the future. You guys have way TOO MUCH fun and I want in on the action!! Would love to chat more about that whole scene sometime.

Enjoy,

Mike
Old 01-07-2002, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Question---will the roll bar on a Cobra replica suffice to pass tech for an open top car at one of these events? What class would a replica Cobra run with a big block. Next Atlanta event is first weekend in March!!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,
You would probably be in the "street class", with passing only in the straights, until you had a more "racing oriented setup" and a competition liscense. There is plenty of action there though...and it is a lot more fun than "time trials", as it is fender to fender except in the corners. I would caution that it all boils down to common sense. A car that feels fast on the highway can sometimes feel slow on a racetrack, and it is easy to get over zealous....
J.W.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Going to Road Atl this weekend too, see new thread