LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Another GA registration thread

I am new, don't beat me up too hard:

I have searched this website, I have searched the Internet, I have sent emails to lenders, LLC companies, the Department of Revenue, the CleanAirAct reps and every avenue leads to a dead end. I now turn here for help.

I am looking at buying a complete Cobra from Vintage Motorsports. When it is sold completed, it does not have a VIN. I understand in the state of GA that I would have to fill in documents, have it inspected, get a VIN, rivet it on, have documents signed off by sheriff, etc. The obstacle I have is: GA will only register the vehicle for the year it was built. I live in Cobb County GA - emissions check required. We all know the cobra is not going to pass emissions. So if that's my only option, I cant buy a cobra unless it has been titled in another state.

The other option I had was, register it to an LLC in Montana. This seemed like a good, viable option, but now I am being told by the LLC management company that a VIN is required and that the company selling it to me should provide me with a VIN. Well, the company providing it to me is not registering it in the state where I purchase it, so it doesn't have VIN.

Another option, buy used, registered in another state as a 1965 - NOPE, not even considering it.

I have a friend in AL that said I could have the car shipped to him and he would register it, get a VIN, the title would say 1965, and then he would sell it back to me......but I don't know if that would work.

So, question, how in the heck do I buy a new, complete cobra and get it registered in the state of GA in an emissions-testing county? This is kind of getting on my nerves as I have $$$ to spend and cant figure this one out.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

No
No
& No

Georgia MVS is not that difficult, just time consuming these days.

Your paid tax form (7% in Georgia), MSO, and a MV-1 form will get the ball rolling, you can get your basic registration and plates using the normal forms. However, Georgia DMV will kick back any non conforming VIN number (located on your MSO), and you'll have to get the car safety inspected (usually a month or two down the road). You'll need Form T-22R and a check for $150 sent in to the Georgia Dept of Revenue......then the wait for the inspection begins.

Washing a title through Alabama, Maine, etc won't work any longer. Not since the Titles Unlimited fiasco.

Bill S

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You cut and pasted your exact same answer from another website. You didn't read through my entire post, just like on the other forum.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have a work around.

The LLC company in Montana says I can have the Montana state inspection form filled out by any GA uniformed officer. The form goes back to Montana. Car gets issued a VIN. VIN plate comes to me and I apply it to chassis. Uniformed officer comes back out to validate it was applied. Form is signed and goes back to Montana. Car gets registered, I get Montana plate. Car is registered to LLC, I don't pay GA state sales tax (which is just a bonus)
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
You cut and pasted your exact same answer from another website. You didn't read through my entire post, just like on the other forum.
I answered what I can validate as fact, I do not respond to items that I cannot.

As for your Montana LLC, you might find that eventually, Georgia will catch on and you'll still have to pay your 7% sales tax. Especially when the Georgia Tax office goes over your tax filings for the LLC and it shows nothing but the car.

Edit: Georgia division of taxation, just like California, will view this as a case of tax evasion.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 05-01-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Georgia has no provisions for emission-exempt replicas?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

allcarfan,
I've covered this topic years ago.
Go ahead and do what you want.
Roll the dice.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock Autocraft C8AE-A 427 Side Oiler Built by Dwight Powell
Not Ranked     

My cobra was built in 2004 but I have it registered as a 67. All I had to do was produce the "certificate of origin".

Honestly, I had a harder time getting the car insured and I'm still not happy with what I've got for a policy.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I have been looking and haven't found any, although they grandfather cars already registered as the year they replicate. I'm looking at registering as an alternative fuel vehicle powered by C2H6O to get around emissions.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
No, they do not. The Clean Air Campaign has stated that the best they could do was hold the car accountable for passing an emissions test designated for a 1975 vehicle. This includes passing a two state idle test, which the gentleman on the phone has stated most kit cars fail. Additionally, the car would still require cats.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn4k33Y3z View Post
My cobra was built in 2004 but I have it registered as a 67. All I had to do was produce the "certificate of origin".

Honestly, I had a harder time getting the car insured and I'm still not happy with what I've got for a policy.
Insurance has not been a problem. I already have some great quotes with great coverage. Sounds like you have an MCO. How you were able to register the vehicle as a 1967 is beyond me. Everything I have read and everyone I have spoken with at the Department of Revenue has stated that the title shall reflect the year that the vehicle was built and is subject to all emissions standards.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I answered what I can validate as fact, I do not respond to items that I cannot.

As for your Montana LLC, you might find that eventually, Georgia will catch on and you'll still have to pay your 7% sales tax. Especially when the Georgia Tax office goes over your tax filings for the LLC and it shows nothing but the car.

Edit: Georgia division of taxation, just like California, will view this as a case of tax evasion.

Bill S.
Yes, thank you for your cut and paste answer....and thank you for asking additional questions that were answered in my original post.

Note: This is not my attempt to defraud the state in any way. I have no issues with paying GA state sales tax or ad valorem. If GA requires that, then I am prepared to pay. However, this car cannot pass emissions with the current GA state law....which is ridiculous (opinion of course). The car is built to a 1965 standard, yet the state holds it to a 2015 emissions standard. No waivers, no provisions, nothing on the books to help anyone out. I bet this vehicle burns cleaner than a lot of vehicles on the road.

I have decided to open a legitimate LLC. All monies for the LLC will be kept in separate accounts and the LLC will be run as a business...just I have done in the past. If I am going to have one, I might as well make money with it.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by allcarfan View Post
No, they do not. The Clean Air Campaign has stated that the best they could do was hold the car accountable for passing an emissions test designated for a 1975 vehicle. This includes passing a two state idle test, which the gentleman on the phone has stated most kit cars fail. Additionally, the car would still require cats.
Actually, that's not GA as a whole, only the ATL area. Don't know if it's viable for you but do you have any property NOT in the Atlanta area?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Correct.....It is only for the 13 counties that require emissions testing. I do have family in other counties where I do receive mail and I do pay for my parent's bills in their home in South GA.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I'm new here (first post) & just purchased a 1998 CR in Florida. It has a Vin & a FL title. I live in Effingham County (non emissions testing) outside of Savannah. When I went to the DMV they said I would need to have the car inspected and gave me a man's business card and said he can take care of everything I need to get the car registered. I called him and he told me that when I get the car home, bring it to him & $100 and he will do the inspection & all the necessary paperwork. I won't get the car back to GA until some time in June, but I'll let you all know how things work out. I have to get the windshield wipers working first. Its kind of stupid that I have to have working windshield wipers on a car that doesn't have a top!! Why aren't motorcycles required to have windshield wipers??
Old 12-05-2015, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry Fulton Co Registration

Bought my cobra in June of this year and still haven't been able to get plates. Emission problems. Applied for Non-Conforming exemption to GA Clean Air in July and have not heard back

Have you got yours registered yet?

How did you do it?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcobra View Post
Bought my cobra in June of this year and still haven't been able to get plates. Emission problems. Applied for Non-Conforming exemption to GA Clean Air in July and have not heard back

Have you got yours registered yet?

How did you do it?

Did you ever get your waiver? I was told by the Clean Air Campaign people and GADOT that there is no such thing as a non-Conforming exemption for a car of this type in the state of GA.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Era 351, Contemporary 351
Not Ranked     

In Georgia they will only register the car as the year is manufactured. If you live in Cobb County it is almost impossible to buy and register a Backdraft even with there vin#. I am unaware of any waver for emissions and have I several Cobras.
csw likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

update: GA wont even accept a clean title from another state for cobra registered as a 1965. They )Cobb COunty DMV) want to give me a salvage title, after I get it inspected, and register the vehicle as a 2015.

Not happening: Car would have to meet emissions standards and have a salvage title.

Just going to keep the car in FL and drive it when I am down there (often)