17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Dart aluminum block, AFR aluminum heads.
Not Ranked     
Default Car transport company recommendations

I'm considering buying a Cobra in the Chicago area, and would need to have it transported to my home in the Daytona Florida area. Can any of you recommend a good company based on your experience, or maybe as important, recommend any to stay away from?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 Excalibur Cobra, 351W 400hp+
Send a message via AIM to TX-Excalibur Send a message via MSN to TX-Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to TX-Excalibur
Not Ranked     

I contracted with VIP Auto Transport Inc out of Reno,NV. I specified I needed a hot shot covered trailer to transport my cobra from Reno,NV to Farmersville,TX. I consider myself lucky that I got the car delivered in two days and was told it was the only vehicle on the trailer that could haul four cars. They did a pre-load inspection walk around and a delivery inspection with me. I negotiated the price with the driver directly.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you. I'll check them out. Hopefully, I can find someone nearer to this route, but I will contact them and see what they say.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Intercity or reliable. both covered carriers. They cost about a buck a mile
Old 01-13-2020, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby, 1964 CSX2367, fully restored, I'm the second owner, SAAC Div 1 Premiere 2003&2012
Not Ranked     

I have used Reliable about 20 times, meaning I’ve been happy with the service and ease of use. Dave. CSX2367.
1953 XK120 roadster
1966 Etype roadster
1971 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwathencars View Post
i have used reliable about 20 times, meaning i’ve been happy with the service and ease of use. Dave. Csx2367.

x 2 ..........

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-13-2020, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ve used the two for about the same. Equal scores. Definitely the top tier.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Plycar Transportation | Automotive Moving Logistics
spdbrake likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try Montway. They transported both of my CSX4000 Alloy Cars, and they arrived perfectly, and the drivers were very easy to work with. Reliable, expensive one thing, and they just picked-up my Kirkham, so I don't know if I would use them or not. The Kirkham was transported to Florida, and when it got there, they had knocked the wires off the back of the ignition switch, and the ignition light out of the socket. The man took it out for drive, then pullled in to get gas, and then the car would not start, lucky I answered the phone, otherwise he would have been stranded at the gas station. He was not happy camper after what he had paid. He didn't want to use Montway, so, so much for spending a lot more, like 30-40% more. Of all of the large carriers, my choice would be Inter City, and I have used more than a few times.

Last edited by 427Larry; 01-14-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Larry View Post
Try Montway. They transported both of my CSX4000 Alloy Cars, and they arrived perfectly, and the drivers were very easy to work with. Reliable, expensive one thing, and they just picked-up my Kirkham, so I don't know if I would use them or not. The Kirkham was transported to Florida, and when it got there, they had knocked the wires off the back of the ignition switch, and the ignition light out of the socket. The man took it out for drive, then pullled in to get gas, and then the car would not start, lucky I answered the phone, otherwise he would have been stranded at the gas station. He was not happy camper after what he had paid. He didn't want to use Montway, so, so much for spending a lot more, like 30-40% more. Of all of the large carriers, my choice would be Inter City, and I have used more than a few times.
I have used Inter City several times and they were fantastic. The carriers were unbelievably clean and the care in loading and unloading cars was excellent
Old 01-14-2020, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a difference between some of these companies. Reliable and Intercity run company owned trailers with drivers who own their own rigs (it's all about how taxes work, they are contractors, but exclusive to those lines.) Some of the others are "brokers" and pair a shipping request with a shipper, and in almost all cases you will have little or no choice about who transports your vehicle. It could be a full sized carrier like Intercity/Reliable use, or it could be a single or double trailer behind a pick up truck. Some people have had good luck with the broker arrangements, but I know others that have not, and so far, those satisfied with Reliable and Intercity outnumber broker-users. Brokers will tend to be cheaper, but in my opinion, carry higher risk.

Do your homework.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I rate my carriers by the company my car keeps. In every case I can remember, the other vehicles on the truck were something special. In one case my car was accompanied by a 300SL roadster and a 300SL Gullwing (the roadster being the more valuable vehicle). In another special case Reliable was able to arrange transport of my Ford GT from Colorado to Vegas on very short notice, and did so by finding a partial load going from CO to Vegas to transport some "super secret" vehicles. My car was first to load on the trailer, with the others being picked up in Vail, CO (Hint: Super secret loads in Vail == High Altitude Testing). At the unloading one of them was close enough to the van that I figured it out: they were the pre-release versions of the Hellcat being moved from high altitude to desert heat... In another case there were two Packards.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Intercity is out. Fellow I talked to said they don't do an Illinois to Florida route. Surprised me, but that's what he said. I'll look into Reliable and the others mentioned. Thanks for the tips. And I agree, I don't want Bubba and his jacked up Ram doing the work.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I have used Intercity and Fedex Custom Critical to ship a Cobra on different occasions. Both companies did a very good job transporting the vehicle across the country.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I used Ply Car Group and they were perfect.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

DO NOT USE BOB BEVERLEY
Unless you want to be robbed by a decrepit old man
Old 05-30-2020, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've heard far more nightmare stories than success stories when people try to save a couple of hundred bucks and use guys with a trailer and a pickup. Use the majors and sleep at night.

I've used Reliable and Intercity with great success. Reliable customer service was great when I needed to get my gt to vegas on short notice.
desgros@vtlink. likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 05-30-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 65 Coupe, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Reliable Carriers

To give some recent feedback:

I solicited 3 quotes for transport of a Coupe from the Florida panhandle to a small SW Colorado town. Of the three, only Reliable would bring the car to my town. Reliable was also the least expensive quote.

Shipped the car early August 2020. Hassle free on both the loading and unloading. Dispatch was always pleasant to talk to, kept me updated, and put up with my questions without any frustration on their part. The driver was professional, pleasant, and made contact the day before on both load out and drop off.

The car arrived just over a week and was in the same condition as when it was loaded.

I recommend, and will use Reliable Carriers again.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

I have used Montway and Intercity. Montway was cheaper, but uses independent contractors so you don't always get the same level of care, however both times I used them cars were delivered on time with no problems. Intercity has their own trucks and drivers and were much more professional. It was also comforting to know my car was in the trailer with two million dollar Ferraris. I will use Intercity again next time I need to transport a car.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Curmudgeon View Post
To give some recent feedback:

I solicited 3 quotes for transport of a Coupe from the Florida panhandle to a small SW Colorado town. Of the three, only Reliable would bring the car to my town. Reliable was also the least expensive quote.

Shipped the car early August 2020. Hassle free on both the loading and unloading. Dispatch was always pleasant to talk to, kept me updated, and put up with my questions without any frustration on their part. The driver was professional, pleasant, and made contact the day before on both load out and drop off.

The car arrived just over a week and was in the same condition as when it was loaded.

I recommend, and will use Reliable Carriers again.
Glad you went to Reliable and they worked out for you.

With the auction scene literally shut down now (yes, some are still happening, but at greatly reduced volume) the primary transporters should be a little more "available'. Note that while some (e.g, Intercity) own the trailers, virtually all of the tractors are privately owned and operated. Some have been with them (Intercity, Reliable) for decades, but all are highly qualified and every one of my drivers was also a "car guy" and treated his passengers as though they were his own.

PS. I love Durango!!!