Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2002, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: former Unique289
Not Ranked     
Post A Day at Unique Motorcars

FIRST, I have to thank Maurice for taking time on a Saturday...and on a Holiday weekend... to show me around Unique Motorcars in Gadsden, AL. I have heard alot of nice things about the Weavers and I believe every word I've heard so far...

On August 31, my son John (8) and I went to see what goes on at Unique Motorcars. Having been to FFR in Wareham, MA and SPF (Mount Ulla, NC) Unique was next on the list..

Maurice was delivering a Deluxe Pallet Kit (FIA289) to a Colorado customer early Saturday AM, and we arrived in time to have a look before the very proud (and tired) owner headed back to Colorado. He had driven 22 hours straight through, arriving at 4am, picking the car up at 9:30am to head back to CO....yikes....

I was able to take a few pictures while I was there, but told not to mention the project that didn't look like a Cobra...might have been a classic sedan of some kind....but I'll have to let the Weavers fill you in when they are ready....

Here is a raw body:

The quality of the raw body is very good, straight, smooth...ummmm...ok back to the story.. Here is a chassis, powdercoated, Jag suspension.....drooling again:

I was able to drive the #96 and Maurice must have thought I looked honest so he let John and I solo.... Maurice, next time hold the camera STILL!

and one last shot....a beautiful solid red (sorry Keith) Cobra....If I'm not mistaken this was Ernie Elliot's car:

For all you future owners (like me) this shows what you have to look forward to.....for less than a Vette!!!

Last edited by chill; 09-04-2002 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-05-2002, 08:22 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

See how pretty that solid red car is? Now why would anyone wanna put stripes on a car like that? Did you see Terry Pendleton's car while you were there? It's insane.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm having a blast building mine. There's something uniquely satisfying about ompleting the construction of a car yourself and learning in great detail about every nut, bolt, washer, and wire.

So, when are you gonna bite the bullet and get you one?

Keith
Old 09-05-2002, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You're right about Terry's car....awesome!!!

We had a great time. The most fun I had was driving (duh) when I nailed it in 2nd and looked over at John and I thought his face was going to fall into 2 pieces... he was grinning SOOOOBIGGG!!

I definitely agree that having hands on would be very satisfying...I'm ordering a new mattress for the guest room...think you can find Alpharetta in a few months??

Soon as the Harley sells it looks like Unique will be hearing from me. The plan is to get done before DVSF2003. Then get permission to go

I look forward to talking to you about your build and seeing the car. That will be great if you can bring those lists of parts and additional instructions you talked about.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Hey, bet the Weavers could build a hell of street rod if they wanted for crossover customers like me.

Here's my next project I am procuring, as soon as the bloody IRS issues a refund on my overpayment from 2000--I've waited 10 weeks already.

<http://www.moonriverstreetrods.com/projects1.asp>

I put word out on your Harley, as there is a colleague who wants to get a bike but was thinking more BMWish.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, TC. put the sell on 'em... If I want to be driving in the spring, I need to get to work on the Cobra!! I had the bike sold once, but the buyer was a bit...uh, Credit Challenged.

Of course I can't say anything about your next project...but call Maurice....

Hope to see you at RA for the historics, and if I successfully return from Milwaukee, Detriot and Dallas all the week of the 16th, I'll be at the lunch...
Old 09-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: sold Harley to buy the Unique...

Hey Chill,

I too sold my custom Harley (Fat Boy) to buy a Unique Motorcars Cobra, and it was a great move. i.e. next toy. It is apples to oranges, but it was a neat comparison to make when wondering if you should sell your Harley to buy the Cobra... I found that it was actually a very similar feeling to drive in a strange way. My bike was black, and so was the car, the bike had loud sidepipes, and so did the car, the grunt and deep sound was there, and the nice open cockpit without having to wear a helmet made it even more desireable. Having seats side by side made the car more fun for my gal than the bike, and it was definitely a bit safer feeling to me. The funny thing is some of my bike friends have sold the bikes now and moved on to Cobras, Sebrings, Vipers and never looked back. We'll, actually, I wouldn't count the Viper really, no sound there... You probably won't regret selling the Harley for a Cobra, as long as you get a Cobra with a decent cam and nice loud sidepipes! It's a lot of fun. Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Harley vs Cobra

Quote:
the bike had loud sidepipes, and so did the car, the grunt and deep sound was there, and the nice open cockpit without having to wear a helmet made it even more desireable. Having seats side by side made the car more fun for my gal than the bike, and it was definitely a bit safer feeling to me.
Exactly my feelings !!...especially after riding through Arizona without a helmet on a Harley, I thought....now how to combine this with a place to sit one of the kids or the wife safely and have the same feeling...
Old 09-07-2002, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I #13046
Not Ranked     
Default Unique...

Chill;

I know you had a blast, I know I would. Unique builds a great Cobra. The difference is kinda like a FFR is to a Mercury Space Capsule as the Space Shuttle is to Unique Cobra’s… Time tested and reliable, improved by years of improvement and constant development. Can you tell I like them a lot!