28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Anybody going to the Chili Cookoff...

... at Stone Mountain this Saturday? The wife and I make it an annual event(the hunting will have to wait for Sunday). If you like chili and beer you should attend. The vast majority of the chili is great, and there are so many booths that you will be full of chili before you can make the entire circut.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

SF,

Are you taking the Cobra to the park?

T
Old 10-04-2002, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Sounds tempting. What are the hours, and would kids have any fun at the event?
Old 10-04-2002, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony, if I the a Cobra I would take it. At present I have a 2 car garage and a 4 car shop and they are SRO. I am, however, in the process of building a new house, and I will have space for everything on the wish list. Hopefully the house will be done by next summer, and I'll order the SPF in a couple of months if my portfolio reinflates(I'll probably order the car even if the market stays flat, I just have a hard time buying toys when my investments are going backward). There is plenty of parking at the event, and it would be easy to find a secure spot(Stone Mountain Park PD are everywhere). If you guys want to bring your Cobras, I'll set a pick for 'em w/ my F350.

ToyCollector, The Chili Cookoff is a great family type event. There are always a bunch of kids at the event. My 7 y/o daughter is a chili fanatic, but the cookoff always hits a weekend that the girls are with their "real" dad. I wouldn't take any small kids that would tap out and have to be carried, though. There is alot of walking involved, and it'll be warm by noon. The cookoff starts at 10:00 am and goes until 5. We usually get there about 11:00. Around 12:00 the bands start playing(bring a seat, the area is a grass field like Lakewood), and the headliner usually play around 3:00. The bands this year include: Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer(subing for a sick Leon Russell), and Confedertae Railroad.

Last edited by southernfriedcj; 10-04-2002 at 02:51 PM..
Old 10-04-2002, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

I went to the Chili Cookoff a few years ago. It was quite a hoot! At first, I was a mite dismayed over how small the sample cups were. But after about 50 of 'em and a few quarts of beer, I had to be rolled back to my car. I would like to see Confederate Railroad. Can't believe they are playing at Stone Mountain.

Hey SF, know what you mean about "investment deflation". I was heavy in tech stocks. I just bailed last week. If I counted on my portfolio value, I wouldn't even have my die-cast Cobra model!

Remember, you can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

How was it? I ended up taking the wife's Alfa to the Italian Car Day up at Lake Lanier. Wore my Ferrari shirt and just blended in with the Ferrari crowd People kept asking which one was mine, I said "..the red one"
Old 10-06-2002, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's my review of the Chili Cookoff: It was hot and humid, normal October temp would have been nice. The chili was average this year, it seems that most of the booths were offering a bland product, I think this may be for mass appeal. There were a couple of very good chilis offered, but there were none in the excellent range, IMHO. I think my basic chili would beat any I tasted yesterday, hands down(I only tasted about 50% of the availible chili before I was full). I only tried one cornbread sample, and it was outstanding! It was full of cheese, peppers, and who know what else. Several booths had Brunswick Stew samples, I usually stay away, I did try one and was dissappointed(Old Hickory House has the only stew I care for).
On to the music. A local band, Legends, opened the show. If you like classic rock cover material, played so well it sounded like a CD of the original recordings, this is your band. They played the Allman Brothers, Cream, and SRV as good as the AB, Cream and SRV. They were the best cover band I've ever seen.
Confederate Railroad put on a very good show also(I never knew all those tunes were CR tunes, I thought half of 'em were Kentucy Headhunter songs). They also mixed in some Waylon Jennings and David Allen Coe. The frontman was hilarious, he should have a standup rouitine. They played a few new tunes, including one with the hook "livin' next door to white trash with money", which killed me because I know alot of "wtwm".
Rick Derringer played, but his voice wasn't great. He was mostly just loud.
We stayed 3/4 of the way through Edgar Winter's set, it was good, and EW is a hell of a musician.
All in all, a goodtime was had, but there seemed to be more hardcore rednecks than usual. Maybe the threat of rain kept the more moderate rednecks home, so we had a super concentration of the 1%.