14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2002, 01:24 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Cool Today was a good day.

Oh, where to begin... As some of you may know, I drove the Cobra to GA on October 8th (a week ago Tuesday) to visit some folks. The ride was a little dreary and weather could certianly have been better (and warmer) during my 3-day stay. Nonetheless, I had fun and the car behaved (for the most part). By Friday, one of the rockers had developed a bad clicking sound, so I drove the car to Southern Automotive on my way back to SC.

The first diagnosis was that a lobe was beginning to disappear from the cam, so I had to leave the car with John (one of Bill's fine mechanics) and head home in a barrowed vehicle. Of course, it was sunny all the way home (that figures).

Well, I recieved a phone call on Monday that the car was ready to pick up again. As it turned out, the cam was just fine. Apparently, one of the adjusting posts on the Dove roller rockers had decided to give up the ghost, so swapping the adjusting post had only taken minutes. I left early on Tuesday for McDonough. Most of my trip was marked with light sporadic misting. Nothing much to speak of. I arrived at SA around noon to pick up the car.

Before departing, I recieved a "fatherly lecture" from Bill about not having stripes on the car, driving on interstates too much, and allowing the car to get so dirty (just messing with ya, Bill ). Lewis just smiled and shook his head in disbelief that I would actually drive in weather like this as I pulled out and headed north for my grandparent's place in Canton (easily a 2-hour drive).

Remember that light mist I told you about? Well, forget about it. It started raining (and I do mean RAINING) before I left McDounough's city limits. And of course it rained all the way to Canton. I tried waiting for a bit under a cover at a local gas station, but it was pointless. By this point, I was wet and cold. The way I figured it, the sooner I got to my destination, the sooner I could put on some dry clothes.

As many of you are aware, a Cobra gets lots of attention wen travelling down the road on a normal day. Well, that attention is multiplied by 10 when it's raining. Some folks looked at me like I should be arrested, but most of them smiled, waved, and gave me thumbs-up's. One person even went so far as to take my photo while travelling north on I-75 in a rather bad downpour. After he took the photo, I looked over and he was just laughing out loud and waving. I eventually got home in one piece after several stops to warm my hands and allow the numbness in my butt to recede (the seats are not all that comfortable for long trips).

Remember those dry clothes I told you about? Well, forget about those, also. My duffle bag was in the passenger floorboard (the wrong place) and had become completely saturated in water. I actually had to spin the clothes in the washer before drying them. My grandparents contemplated having me commited, or at least questioned by a therapist.

The next day was drier. I had promised my sister a lunch visit, so I headed towards Marietta Square around 11:30 on Wednesday. Now, anyone who was anywhere remotely near I-75 in Marietta on Wednesday will tell you that it was no place for a 550-HP Cobra. Apparently, a cattle truck had decided to dump it's cargo a tad early and all lanes had been closed for hours. I quickly learned that stop-and-go (standstill, actually) traffic is NOT this car's best friend. I had to pull over four times (yes, four times) to let the car cool and/or add water. I eventually had a nice lunch.

Well, I came back to SC yesterday. I took Dad's... I mean Bill's advise and traveled to Augusta on 2-lane roads through northeast GA...

...long twisting 2-lane roads... the shadows of trees flickering across the car... an image of the horizon shining up from the hood and fenders... the sun on my shoulders... a shadowy image of myself racing alongside me in the next lane... the smell of a hayfield being cut... my hair being blown into oblivion... Bill was right.

This morning the car recieved a much-deserved bath (it took four hours). Then I drove it to meet some friends for lunch. Again, it was a beatiful day... a warm breeze... beautiful skies... everyone rubber-necking to see who was making all the noise... the side-pipe symphony echoing back at me every time I passed a car... yes folks, today was a good day.

Keith

Last edited by excelguru; 10-18-2002 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear all is OK with Car and Driver!! Also glad it was something so simple. Soooo....what do have on the odometer now, 5,000 miles in two weeks?

I installed my Bilsteins last Sunday and did the anti-sway bar today after work. You would not believe the difference the Bilsteins make!!
Old 10-18-2002, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2003 Ford Cobra Mustang
Send a message via ICQ to LateApex Send a message via AIM to LateApex
Not Ranked     

Dude,

just read about the cow situation on I-75--what a mess!!
Old 10-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hey Keith,

You got it!

By the end of tomorrow I'll possibly pass 4,000 miles since August - know what you mean! Wouldn't trade that time for anything

Clear skies,

Tom

Old 10-18-2002, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice writing BTW Keith. I say it's never a good country ride unless you smell some cow man-newer!!
Old 10-18-2002, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

GEE Keith,
I was in the SAME mess on I-75. You have a great way of writing...I got cold just reading!

BTW: THANKS for the ride!...perhaps your attempt to accelerate sideways from that stop sign as I left, hastened your engine issue...glad you found it while so close.

As far as all that other "stuff"...I'm reminded of the child that upon entering a very smelly barn; slipped and fell in you-know-what; picked herself up...covered in goo; and said: "I know there's a pony in here somewhere!" It all depends upon our attitude...you've got a great one!

Tim
Old 10-18-2002, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, wanna practice washing your car with mine next time you are in Georgia? a 4 hour car wash?? Were women involved?
Old 10-21-2002, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Talking

Keith,
Did your Unique come with the drilled holes in the floorboards? You better get them drilled before our 3rd annual meeting next year.
Dan
Old 10-21-2002, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Last Friday night I drove my youngest daughter over to a friend's house. Maybe 5 miles each way. At night. In a mild rain.

Anyone who can drive a Cobra at highway speeds in the rain is a better man than me. Heck, I was having an interesting time cornering at 25 mph in the rain!

Who is John Galt?
Old 10-21-2002, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Smile Huh?

Quote:
By Friday, one of the rockers had developed a bad clicking sound,
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Smile Huh?

Quote:
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Huh?

Quote:
And just how do you hear any sound with that monster?

Dave
Old 10-21-2002, 08:42 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Hey Dave!

To be honest, I could only hear it at idle.

Keith
Old 10-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Driving in the RAIN. Up here in the NW we feel lucky to get rained on only once on a ride, hell at times we even get SNOW. Driving in the snow will make you pucker up and make your *sshole water proof. The day I brought my new toy home I found out what it was like to drive in the rain. New toy no knowledge of the car not a good experience,but one that I will always remember.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

excelguru,
Your writing is very interesting. It allows the readed to feel and see the situations that you describe. If you have other stories in the future, less us all share the experience.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Ford 464 C.I.D. 535 H.P.
Not Ranked     

Keith, the car looks good! Glad to see it isn't a "trailer queen" only to be shown and not driven. Keep up the driving and the stories!