Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2002, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Angry Water, Water, Water,and more Water a True Reptile Roundup

When I looked out my window early Saturday morning waiting for my brother to arrive at 7am to help load the Cobra for the trip to Lutz, I found that there was no rode but a new lake had formed. When my brother did come hours later but right on time the heavens where still forming newer lakes. We loaded up the Blazer and left the Cobra at home and headed off for the first Reptile Roundup. When your having a Cobra party you need Cobras but I couldn't let Ed down by not coming to his first event. By the time we arrived I found Ed and a few Cobras under a large home make tent. Ed's Cobra parked next to Mike Ritter's duel turbo charged Cobra. A gorgeous Contempory with a hardtop and Ruble Moore's red Hunter. Back at the motel was some real Cobra enthusiasts, Armondo Lopez (CobraDoc)and Manny Lopez. They drove over late Friday from Miami. CobraDoc had his convertible top but Manny thought when they said rain that couldn't mean RAIN. By the time they hit Naples the skies opened up and the RAINS started all the rest of the way to the Motels in Lutz. When Armondo got out of his Cobra he found out that his size 10 black boat shoes were now a size 6. The shoes were surgically removed later to find that his feet had been now dyed black. Manny was so wet that if it never again rains in his life time he will never complain. CobraDoc is sitting home now, as we speak soaking his feet in bleach trying to get them to look normal. It never really stopped raining on Saturday but we did have dinner that evening with over 25 people at the table. I met a lot of new people, Mark Weber from FFR. Mike and Melissa Ritter from Alabama, our offical club T Shirt makers. Reg Dodd from Backdraft Racing and many many more. I signed up 9 new members with many more checking us out. Norm Deeley brought in 2 of his Cobra hardtops that he makes. Trying to convince Cobra owners that a hardtop might be the way to go for a Deep South Cobra event. I think the offical Cobra count was 23, with one of our newest members Tom Sharon bringing his 1985 AC/Autokraft MK IV in red. Funbeam Chuck showed with his Sunbeam Tiger and we now have Les Berczy with our first 1970 original Shelby GT500 join our club. Jim Pomroy came to dyno his 2003 Cobra Mustang rated at 390HP. Ford has been playing some new games because Jim was pulling 406HP at the rear wheels. Mike Ritters duel turbo small block came through for the Cobra owners with over 500HP at the rear wheels winning the trophy for the most horse power on the dyno out of 17 differant cars. There were many people that I met, new and old friends and as always it's the people who make a party a success, and you can't beat Cobra owners rain or shine. I can't say enough about how important it is that you come to our events even if you have to come in your Blazer and leave the Cobra at home. I can't thank Ed and Renee Kamptner enough for throwing this event and all Cobras that did come in the rain. We all got a little wet (except the Lopezes, they are still drying out) and a little cold but I had a hellava time.
Dan and David Wulff
Old 11-18-2002, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I have forgotten to thank many many people for helping with this event but I know Ed will help fill in the blanks. Thanks Paula and Enzo at Finnish Line for all the door prizes. I must also tell you that Chester Littifield won $69 dollars in our 50/50 raffle. As the old mind remembers we will keep you informed.
Dan
Old 11-18-2002, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

I had a blast even with the rain. Shame on those who did not come as this is as much about meeting our online friends as it is about looking at cobras.

I have a request to all our members: RAIN OR SHINE PLEASE BRING YOUR BEHIND TO OUR EVENTS EVEN IF YOU LEAVE THE SNAKE HOME. We really just want to have a good reason to tell lies and meet our friends.

The rain gods gave way to Mr Sunshine mid morning Sunday and the Cobras were raised onto the 7 ft high portable dyno to make liers and winners out ot their owners.

I posted 267 Rear wheel HP and 285 rear wheel torque from my junkyard Explorer motor. The Dyno guys said use about 15% for driveline loss so that puts me at 314 hp at the flywheel. That jives with the desktop dyno numbers so I think my 1000 mile trip was worth the effort. If you live closer shame on you.

Mike Ritter brought his lovely mistress and his cobra looked pretty good too. He had to add air to the tires on his trailer to haul the throphys home. I think he won 4 in all including long distance award as he came from Birmingham. I left about 10 minutes ahead of him only to see him buzz by me doing 90 pulling his trailer full of throphys and Cobra. His head was so big he had to roll down the windows to fit in his Chevy truck.

Jim Pomroy was pretty impressive in the 2003 Mustang Cobra with the supercharged motor posting 406 rear wheel HP. Too bad he had to give the keys back to the wife when she flew back in sunday afternoon. Thats right his wife has more HP than he does.

Engineer Ed was sick with all the rain but the event turned out great after all. We all just got back latter thatn we thought.

The Sleep Inn is probably short a few towles but they were put to good use. My "Reptile" is drying out as I type this and it is no worse for wear.

Your Treasurer
Ruble
Old 11-18-2002, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five W/ R block Stroker, Twin Turbos.
Not Ranked     
Default Made it home!

Well, we made it home. Took just under 9 hours from Lutz to B'ham. Rolled in just before midnight. Not a bad time considering all the extra weight we were pulling with all of the trophies. Good thing I took Monday off.

Dan, that was 512 rwhp and 544 torque to be exact - out of a little small block. That big old trophy sure does look nice on the mantle.

Ruble, once I got the Chevy up to speed I wasn't slowing for anything... except gas.

Ed, we had a great time in spite of the weather. Thank you and Renee for the hospitality.

We met a lot of great people over the weekend. Many of them could only tell us about their Cobra as they chose to keep them in the garage out of the weather. I can't say that I blame them but I want to thank the people that came out and took part in the event. You made our 9 hour drive worth it.

Armando & Manny, I hope the two of you made it home safely. You two are true Cobra nuts. I hope your trip home took less than the 8 hours coming up and was not as damp.

To everyone else we met - there is no way to remember, much less name them all, a big THANK YOU from me & Melissa. We had a great time. To the people that couldn't make it due to weather, we are looking forward to meeting you at the next event and hoping for better weather.

Oh we do have t-shirts left - several actually. They are $15.00 each - shipping included. Send me an email if you would like one or two.

Later,

Mike
Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Well, Ruble I'm glad to see you and your son and your "Reptile" made it back home safely. While the RAINS put a damper on the first annual Reptile Roundup and while cool weather and winds on Sunday replaced Saturday's downpour you can't keep this crowd and organizers down. Sunshine for everyone and thanks again, Ed.
Dan
Old 11-18-2002, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Mike,
We know you took home the BIG trophy for the car with the most HP but tell everyone that if you had not come with a large trailer in the first place you would have never made it back home. Tell us about the rest of your trophys.
Dan
Old 11-18-2002, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I, for one, had a great time. Many thanks to Ed for all of his organization efforts, even if Mother Nature had different ideas. This is a great bunch of people, lots of fun to be around.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Manny Lopez, make sure to get him to tell his parrot story! He had me in stitches.

I'm looking forward to the next time we can get together!

Ron
Old 11-18-2002, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron,
Everyone has to meet the Lopez's from Miami. I forgot to mention that Armondo (CobraDoc) had his birthday on Friday and I had my wife pick me up a birthday card when she went shopping. When she returned with this card with a picture of CobraDoc's car on the front I couldn't beleave it. We all signed it and I gave it to him at Saturday evenings dinner party with that beer I promised him. Rain or shine we are party animals.
Dan
It was Manny's way of telling his parrot story that was so funny. HAhahaaaaaaaaa
Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The lies and stories that everyone told was what make this a great group of Cobra Nerds.

Now that I think of it I actually posted 513 rear wheel HP. You can verify that with my wif..er....girlfriend.....Morgan Fairchild??
Old 11-19-2002, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Wow, what a weekend!
Well, I want to first start off by thanking everyone for coming.
I also understand the unwillingness for some of you to come. Thank you for trying.
The weather was absolutely horrible on Saturday and didn't get better until early Sunday morning.
Sunday late morning was much better and we did have some out of town-ers make the trip.
We were fortunate to see a bit of blue skies and a return of the sun on "Sun" day.

My hat comes off for Armando Lopez and Manny Lopez. You two are awesome!
These two brave souls drove over Friday night in the pouring rain all the way from the Miami area.
Soaking wet, they pulled into the hotel Saturday morning around 6:00 am.
I owe you two a huge amount of gratuity for your selfless actions.
You are the reason I love this Cobra family. It all comes down to the great people in this organization.
Thank you also to Mike and Melissa Ritter for driving all the way from Alabama and for providing the T-shirts.
Anyone wanting T-shirts can contact them at: Mike.Ritter@vul.com

All in all, it wasn't a complete wash-out.
We had 23 Cobra's show up on Sunday and we made the best of a bad situation.

Saturday, four of us huddled under a tarp in the pouring rain to display our cars.
Mike Ritter, Ruble Moore, Tim Knoll and I tried to stay dry and answer questions as the small crowd of admirers gathered at our makeshift shelter.
No, I do not have any pictures of Saturdays event as I'd rather not remember that day.

Saturday night, 17 of us gathered for dinner and then had the desert party at our house.
All in all, Saturday wasnt bad. Later we planned for improved weather on Sunday.
The weather channel got plenty of viewing and we estimated Sunday morning would bring drier weather.

Finally, Sunday morning arrived and we bundled up for cooler weather and welcomed the sun as it broke thru the clouds.
At 9:00, the local Cobra's and the hotel guests traveled over to Beef O Brady's and we made another shot at a car show.
The Dyno was up and running by 10:30 and more Cobra's started showing up.
I will post Dyno numbers as they are sent to me.
I'm not too unhappy with my 304 RWHP and 384 ft/lbs torque.
Mike Ritter amazed us with his small block making 512 RWHP with the help of his twin turbo charged 347 Stroker.

A second annual Reptile Roundup will be planned and the hopes of drier weather!
Hey, it's not supposed to rain in November.

Thanks to all who showed up and who helped me with organizing this event.
I promise not to give up and next year will be even bigger and better!
Of the 60 + cars that signed up, I expect all of them for next year and then some.
Thank you to the dedicated members who made the trip and hung in there with me!
I'll have pictures posted on the web sites soon.
Again, thank you!
It was my pleasure to put on this event!

Ed
Old 11-19-2002, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ed,
Congratulations on a great event. I don't have My Cobra yet but I could not pass on the opportunity to meet many Cobra enthusiats and enjoy your cars. Even with the bad weather on sunday the turnout was great. I really enjoyed sunday's activities, specially watching the cars posting big numbers on the dyno. Hopefully for the next gathering I will attend driving MY Cobra from Lutz. Congratulations again. Pablo Enriquez
Old 11-20-2002, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, sorry I couldn't post any sooner, I've been having computer problems ever since I got back to Miami. Must have been all that rain!!!! Well anyway, my sincere thanks to all of you. Without each and everyone that was there we couldn't have had the good and fun time that we shared. What a great bunch of Cobraguys and gals!!! Manny and I had a super time.

I want to thank Ed and Renee for making that all posible, you two are truly special. Keep keeping on!!!! Oh one more thing Ed, you didn't buy me that beer you promised me for my BD.

Mike did clean up with the trophys, but Ruble don't forget who got the Most HP in Modified/Stroker W/O asist, me,me,me,me.
It wasn't as big as the one Mike got for that incredible beast he has, but I'm happy. It made my day and the wet trip worth it for sure!!!

Ruble I didn't here anybody tell any lies!!!!! Well, maybe the parrot did!!!

Allmost forgot, yeah, we made it home real fast and frozen....

P.S. I love that BD card Dan!!!

CobraDoc
Old 11-20-2002, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everyone should have made the trip to hear the Parrot story.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll second that.....

CobraDoc
Old 11-21-2002, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Doc,
Hey man I'm sorry for forgetting the beer!
So, there must be a next time!
Working on Roundup II.
And I will schedule it for a month that historically does not have rain... Lets see, that's November!

Un-believable the weather that occurred that weekend. You can't tell me it was a coincidence.
The DSCC is cursed with bad weather! There is no other logical explanation!

I'll be at the next event, rain or shine and buy you that beer.
Thanks again for braving the weather to attend our show.
Now if we could only find a way to make the other members as crazy as the Lopez's.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 11-22-2002, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even if you do think we are a bit crazy, we had a great time and met a lot of wonderful people. True, it was better braving the cold on the way home than the rain on the way up. It is November in south Florida, which is not usually cold or raining - go figure! It only took two days and my trusty shop vac to suck up all the water from the floorboards. We are dry again.

Ruble, thanks for removing the pooled water off my car cover at the hotel. Ed, as far as I'm concerned, the first annual reptile roundup was a success. The Dyno was a real hit. (Mrs. Jones took some great pictures of the Cobras on the Dyno - thanks for that). Thanks for all your hard work and we will do it again next year - rain or shine. You know we will be there. And even for those that did not want to take their Cobras out in the weather, it was great that they showed up for this great event.

Manny
Old 11-23-2002, 02:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Manny,
I'm glad you posted we need more club members who post than lurk. I hope you and your family will join us at Silver Springs in May, 2003. We have the Hospitality room for 3 nights so you will have to come up with a lot of jokes to keep us entertained each evening. Don't worry about bad weather Silver Springs would only close if there was a Hurricane. I'm glad you thawed out and got into some dry clothing.
Dan