14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2002, 06:23 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Talking Lunch with the guys (my report)

As has become my custom, I opened the garage door and pushed out the Cobra to avoid filling the garage with startup fumes. My fingers fumbled in my pockets as I retrieved my keys to unlock the trunk and hood. White puffs of breath appeared in front of me as I gently rubbed the California Car Duster over the car's surface. "Clean enough," I thought. I topped off the brake fluid, checked for oil leaks, and buttoned down the hood. The car was ready.

With several layers of clothes, my heaviest coat, warm gloves, hat, and sunglasses, I was ready as well. "Where's Elizabeth?"

Inside the warm house, that's where. You see, it was curently 36 degrees and I had an hour's drive to meet the other cold-wether nuts at the local mall. Elizabeth had absolutely no intention of riding shotgun in this sort of weather. She would shadow me in the Honda instead.

I spent several minutes cranking the car, stalling it, cranking it again, stalling it again, cranking it again... Eventually, the engine warmed up enough to stay awake on its own. Okay, not really, but close enough. Big blocks really don't like cold weather. Away we went!

Let me see if I can paint this picture for you: if Julia Roberts was jumping on a trampoline in the middle of Times Square naked, she still wouldn't garner as much attention as some nut driving a roofless Cobra at 65 MPH down the interstate on a 36-degree December morning. Most people would look and smile (those are the ones who think I'm nuts). Others, however would actually give me thumbs-ups (those are the ones who are nuts like me).

After an hour-long drive, my shadow and I arrived at Columbiana Mall. I saw four Cobras already in the parking lot as I approached. I blipped the throttle to say "hello" (and just because I can). Hal Copple arrived shortly after us and the crew was all here. We strapped in for a short (fast, loud) drive to Zorba's Greek restaurant. This car is simply more fun than someone should be allowed to have. I broke the tires loose in 2nd once while driving to the Zorba's... okay twice. This cold air does wonders for power!

During lunch, I was reminded once more that it's not the cars that make this club so special. It's the people. Great people, great conversation, great cars, great food, and the sun was beginning to warm things up a bit outside... what more could you ask for? After lunch we posed the cars for some family photos.

Most of us followed each other for a mile or two as we left the parking lot and picked our own directions home. Elizabeth had some shopping to do, so I was released on my own recognisance to head back home. Hal and I tagged each other for several miles along I-26 and I-20.

What a blast it is to pilot one Cobra longside another on the highway. I kept thinking to myself, "Man, I hope my car looks as shiny as his right now." We would squeeze the throttles a bit to play, then ease back and just cruise. We got alonside one another and gave each other that knowing look... we downshifted and really hammered it for a bit. What a blast! Hal was doing his best to look collected, but he really wanted to smile. I could tell.

Soon we parted company as Hal headed north for home and I headed east to put the car away for the winter. Spring will not arrive soon enough, I'm afraid.

Keith

Last edited by excelguru; 12-10-2002 at 09:45 AM..
Old 12-10-2002, 09:43 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some pictures, courtesy of Hal Copple and I forgot who...

The Lunch Gang

My Wife and I

Hi-res pics are available at my ClubPhoto album.

Keith

Last edited by excelguru; 12-12-2002 at 01:14 PM..
Old 12-10-2002, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Keith Craft built my monster 527 Shelby, Rob Camp @ KCM in Plano, TX installed, tested & tuned it and Dean Rosen @ Dynamic was magnificent in delivering my dream SPF #1857. Without these guys, I'd never have realized my dream.
Not Ranked     
Talking

Keith !!!!

I vote your first (and most important) winter project should be ..... ( drum roll please!) Stripes.

It sure would make Bill Happy!

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Had a great time meeting you guys,and special thanks to creamsicle for the ride to Columbia.Hopefully my car will be finished soon and ready for the spring. chuck
Old 12-10-2002, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WTF? Who's got the Orange Cobra? Now I've got to find another color!
Old 12-10-2002, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

Keith, thanks for making the arrangements, and thanks to all the guys who drove up to Columbia for lunch. The food was great, and the company even better. Was fun to see the cars, and have such a warm and sunny day for a drive. I wore my long underwear, so the trip in the morning wasn't too chilly.

Was nice to find my car ran fine, no fuel leaks, although i did jummp out and check it about five times before i was out of my local area. Don't like no fuel leaks!!

Lets get together again some time. Zorba's was fine with me. Like that Greek food.

have a fine Christmas holiday,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 12-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Looks like you folks had an excellent time.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 351w
Not Ranked     

Keith:

Great pictures! But I'd like to know something about the top picture...the one with Hal standing in front. Who is the guy standing 3rd from the left, in between you and your wife. He has on a blue sweatshirt and tan hat.

It looks like he has a BellSouth uniform on. And since I'm also a phone man, I'm just curious if he owns one of the Cobras in the picture and if so is he a DSCC and/or CC member.

John
Old 12-16-2002, 08:45 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe that's "Creamsicle" Rick. Take a wild guess which car is his.

Keith
Old 12-16-2002, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Keith,

You make sure that Elizabeth stays nice and warm, we want all future Cobra owners and members to be kept nice and warm and not drive in such COLD weather. You northern guys are crazy.
Dan