Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2003, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default SAAC Convention 2003

I spoke to Allan Weaver today about some parts and happened to ask about the Unique Cobrafest for this year. Looks like they've decided not to hold it this year due to the fact that this years Shelby American Auto Club get together will be held in Nashville in May. If you go to www.saac.com and go to the event, it looks like a blast. Alan says they have a great track where you can purchase track time and go as fast as you want. We should start planning a convoy. Maybe get some hotel rooms. Anyone interested?
Old 01-07-2003, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my first--Looking forward to #2 someday
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Sounds like a good time, and Nashville is a great downtown atmosphere, with plenty of bars/restaurants--is there a "host" hotel---I did not check the link yet.

BigEasy
Old 01-09-2003, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: former Unique289
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I was looking at the info they sent out in the newsletter and already talked to the wife. She said great, sounds like a vacation... I love that woman. Of course she did mention she would be driving the GMC with the kids and that 'I' would be the one without the roof, not 'we'...

If I am remembering correctly, Gaylord/Opryland Hotel is the host. Is the thought to drive up Sat AM or go up Friday? It would be good to have a group go together.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

hey guys, instead of guessing or 'i think'..or ' i recall' , as Tony Radford said, just check the SAAC 28 site :

http://www.saac.com/eventsAndConventions/saac28.html
Old 01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Bill

So, Is the thought to drive up Sat AM or go up Friday? It would be good to have a group go together.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have already signed up for sat. morning and afternoon sessions.
I live about 20 miles from the speedway and would like to get together Friday night or Saturday with yaw.

See you there,
Eric

PS. I hate to hear that Unique not having a Homecoming. I was looking forward to it. :

Last edited by 66cobraboy; 01-09-2003 at 06:09 PM..
Old 01-09-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey 66Cobraboy..

If we bring a bunch of Cobras up from GA, how many people can you fit in your house?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Depends on how big a plunger you bring.

Eric
Old 01-09-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This could be awesome. What does a herd of 20 Cobras taching 4K sound like coming up the road?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427; 428 Mid South Gear
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Nashville Track

I drove the course at Nashville last year; Music City Mustang Club had their open track event. It was set up and operated very much like the SCCA at Charlotte. MCM put on an excellent event.

The road course section was pretty slippery, and the transitions to the oval was rather quick (bump). The "front" infield sections had really neat tight turns and the second section had off camber. It was a blast!! Though, I didn't seem to do very well, comparatively.

They recommended about 40 psi on the tires???? I never did figure that one out. My 15" BFGs were pitiful at all pressures. In my run group, the late model cars with traction control, anti lock brakes, 17-18" tires, smoooth HP, etc. WERE ALL OVER ME in the infield!!!!!

It is A LOT OF FUN!!!!

One note....the garages do not have doors....flow thru ventilation.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

Dan,

26 psi front, 23 psi rear at most! Start there and check after first session. At 40 psi, you will be sliding all over the place.

Cheers, Pete

PS You are right the BFGs are dogs but good to learn on cuz you gotta have the right line and an easy touch. The good news is that the BFGs will give you more warning than the slicks which will hit and pass through the limit of adhesion with little or no warning. After you get some track time with the BFGs check out the Goodyear Cobra tires through Roger Kraus racing. http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/
Old 01-10-2003, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 403 FE. Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

I'm in!
Will be driving from PA with my lady in the Cobra to attend.
To answer the above comment - a herd of Cobras taching 4K sounds like last year's CobraFest participants driving through small towns on the way to the Talladega Grand Prix Track. I know a lot of you Unique owners can relate to that.

Now - If we're all gonna stay over at 66cobraboy's home should we offer to bring food(covered dish?),sleeping bags, ........?

Seriously - If anyone is driving to Nashville from the NorthEast on I-81, we should make an attempt to hookup on the way.
-Aggressor
Old 01-10-2003, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...only beer and pretzels, that way we won't need a very big plunger!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427; 428 Mid South Gear
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete C

Dan,

26 psi front, 23 psi rear at most! Start there and check after first session. At 40 psi, you will be sliding all over the place.

Cheers, Pete

PS You are right the BFGs are dogs but good to learn on cuz you gotta have the right line and an easy touch. The good news is that the BFGs will give you more warning than the slicks which will hit and pass through the limit of adhesion with little or no warning. After you get some track time with the BFGs check out the Goodyear Cobra tires through Roger Kraus racing. http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/
Thanks Pete C. I went down 3 lbs. less than your recommended; still on ball bearings at Nashville. ***********Got Hoosiers Now
Old 01-18-2003, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric, can you recommend a hotel in the general vicinity of the event? One that has some level of security for vehicles parked in their lot would be nice (maybe a tough one). Since the event is so large, it probably makes sense to start making plans now.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

I just reserved a room at the Opryland hotel. I got a balcony/atrium room. Have you tried them? are the rooms already gone? They have 24 hour security in 2 lots assigned to the SAAC event. Even if you don't end up at the Opryland, it might be worth checking with SAAC to see if you can use the lots they have assigned....
Old 01-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,

I would say if you didn't want to stay at Opryland I would stay in Murfreesboro. Its closer to the speedway than Opryland and also on your way from Georgia.

1.Country Inns and Suites
2.Wingate Inn
3.Hampton Inn

They are right off of I 24 at EXIT 78b.

If your worried about your car your more than welcomed to keep it at my house. I'm about 3 miles off of exit 89 on I 24 which is on your way about 12 miles south of Murfreesboro TN.

Chill ,

You can bring hotdogs instead of pretzels,I think I can could cook a little.

Eric
Old 01-19-2003, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Eric. Sounds like a plan is coming together. I'll see what some of the other guys in the area want to do.

Tony
Old 01-19-2003, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Eric. Sounds like a plan is coming together. I'll see what some of the other guys in the area want to do.

Tony