Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     
Default Absence of Rice burners

During the Barrett-Jackson Auction, the question was asked as to why there were no Japanese cars on the block. I don't know who made the comment but it was to the affect that "yes, there could come a time when the cars (Jap) might make an appearance at the Auction, but it was doubleful that it will be in this millenium" Ha Ha!!
They said the cars "lacked soul" or something to that affect.

I was amazed at some of the cars that demanded the big prices.
I'm sure other people were amazed at interest in the 60's and 70's American cars that, just a few years ago, were overlooked.

My question is: If you had to pick, and hang onto, a Japanese car that you think, down the road a couple years, would also command the huge prices that American Muscle cars do today, what would you pick?

The Z cars were mentioned as a possibility- the first Civic-the Subra??

Any thoughts??
Old 01-19-2003, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

My 300 ZX Twin Turbo was a hoot to drive and my Pathfinder gets me to work - collectable - I don't think so
Old 01-19-2003, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

How about the early Toyota 2000 GT sports car. It was good enough for a Bond movie back in the 60's.

240Z would be another. From memory there is a rare one that had a twin-cam head. Some of our good original Aussie delivered ones have been making their way back to Japan for some big dollars.

Cheers

Old 01-19-2003, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Got to agree with Mike. I think a Toyota 2000 GT (if available) would probably make the auction today. 240Z in 10 or 15 years. Datsun 510 SCCA car? Maybe today. Mazda Cosmo? 10 to 15 years.

Rarity above all else will get a few Japanese cars to the auction.

Who is John Galt?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Datsun 510? An interesting track car and STILL respected! Four seater though,,,,,, nah, it won't cut the mustard. Not "sporty" enough I think, not "earth shaking" in the big picture of "history".

Hmmm,,,,,240Z's are a likely contender. Was it really the beginning of a "new wave" in the automotive world? Or a "copy" of what Europe had been doing for SO many years all ready? MG's, Sprites, TR's, a host of others were the inspiration for the Z car. No, the 240Z will be an "also ran", never an original. Therein lies the problem, no historic "soul".

Some cars you just KNOW are going to be historic marques the day they are offered or shortly thereafter! And I'm NOT talking about the 25th Anniversary, limited production "Yadda Yadda" mobile here (which to the masses is STILL an also ran).

I can't think of a single Japanese car that "set the automotive world on fire" on a LARGE scale that appealed to all people across the board. An original concept in design and style.

It WON'T be a later "limited edition" car that does it, it HAS to be a FIRST EDITION, like the 64 Mustang, from out of no where, BAM, we got a winner! Or the 63 split window Vette, Avanti, FIRST Jaguar XKE's, timeless in their "styling". If not "radical", beautiful in an "artistic" sometimes subtle way. Like a master piece, perhaps not appreciated for it's full beauty while the artist is living! And like "art" some historic cas leave me wondering WHAT people see in them, go figure!

You could name a bunch of European and American cars that "set the world on fire." It doesn't HAVE to be a "race car" to be extraordinary. But it does have to be unique, original, the first of it's "kind". So go ahead,,,,name ONE Japanese car like that! There must be at least ONE!

Ernie
Old 01-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK,,,so maybe I'm setting the bar to high. I'm thinking "block buster" cars with world wide appeal. Maybe the thread is directed toward us "motor heads" (a small circle of friends in the big picture) and not the "world".

Ernie
Old 01-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Though it has all ready been "poo-pooed" here-- I think if you had a 240 "Fairlady" Z sitting in your barn--you might be surprised at its value today--maybe not a styling or trend setter but very very rare--especially here in the U.S.--right hand drive and all.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

If it had to be one Japanese car - Toyota 2000 GT
Old 01-19-2003, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

1967 TOYOTA 2000GT (337 built)

Fair: $55,000
Good: $75,000
Exc: $95,000
Show: $140,000

per Gold Book Classic

Sonds like this one doesnt have to wait any years, could have been at this years auction.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 01-19-2003, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

How about a skyline?

GS
Old 01-19-2003, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about the "batmobile" RX7 that they've stopped selling in the US. Sharp looking car, performs well. Wouldn't want to try finding parts for a rotary engine 20 years after they stop making it though!

"The pipes! THE PIPES!
WAIT TILL THE BOYS IN THE CHEVY'S GET A LOAD OF THOSE PIPES!"
- Bill Cosby
Old 01-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2681K, 302 w/goodies
Not Ranked     

Subaru WRX?