Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Hauling with a cover

I've read the recent posts about hauling a Cobra with a car cover and what a mistake it is. Does this also hold true for a Tonneau (no idea how to spell it...sounds French) cover as well? I plan on carrying my car on an open trailer and would like to keep rain out of the cockpit if it's possible. Any comments?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Actually I think you maybe alright with a tonneau. I have one on a TR6 that zips down the middle and I've driven it plenty with the passenger side covered. It didnt flail or anything. Now I haven't tried it on the SPF and actually i have never even looked at it so I dont know if you can just cover the pass side like the six. I also have an open trailer and I had to haul some furnature back from Opelica Al So I got some 4x8 1/4 inch plywood and enclosed it on 3 sides. Worked pretty good
Old 04-21-2003, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony
Thats if you dont mind looking like the clampetts
Old 04-21-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OOpps
I just read your other post ie Nashville You wont be able to do the plywood trick on the Ryder trailer. Also is the width adjustable on it?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alex, are you suggesting my car might not fit the Uhaul trailer? I'm new at this car hauling thing and I'm already hating it. But I really want to take the car. Do you think I should go so far as to go measure the trailer? Will you bring me back a sloth?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: British Racing Green FFR, 302
Not Ranked     

Tony,
Your car will fit just fine on a Ryder trailer, I have used one on two seperate occasions. Be careful loading the car as the sidepipes will barely clear as you load up. I would suggest keeping the trailer on a down hill slope(driveway). This will help straighten out the angle of the loading ramps and should eliminate any potential problems.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 04-22-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony
A uhaul??? I would swing by and check it out anyway. I thought of doing the same thing but haven't gone to measure them. When I get back from my next trip Im going down to Bill's and order an enclosed trailer.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Tony,
I towed my car from Florida to Ohio and back on an open trailer with a tonneau cover and it didn't do any paint damage because it was tight as a drum. On my return through Florida I ran into a rain storm that was so bad I had to get off the high way until it stopped raining. When I got back home to unload the car the floor had 3 inches of water in the foot wells. The car had been in lots of rain before with no water inside but this time nothing but a garage would have kept it out. As far as renting a Uhaul you better check because they only come with inertia brakes not the normal electric brakes found on most car trailers, because the tow vehical may not have the system installed to activate the electric brakes. If there is not a certain weight differance between your tow vehical and the trailer with the Cobra loaded they will not rent you a trailer without renting one of their trucks with the proper hitch ect.
Dan
Old 04-23-2003, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan. I'm going to line up a Ryder carrier. I've got to get the snaps installed on my Tonneau cover and then I should be good to go. Look out Nashville, here I come.