28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down What is wrong with the DSCC?

Guy's.
Have you been paying attention?
Are you aware that we are having our annual meeting next weekend? Why havent you sent in a check to Ruble and made your reservations?
The club is counting on your support. Do we have a club or basically a Cobra registry?
Where are our members from the Northern states?
Many of us Florida guys drove hours to attend last years meeting in Georgia (IN THE RAIN). What's the problem?
Dan has busted his @$$ trying to put together this event and nobody seems to care.
Do you realize how much effort is needed to put together a show such as this.
I'm really upset at the fact that we have known about this meeting for months and many of you have not scheduled this on your calendars.

My personal feelings are:
If you are a member of this club, you should attend it’s Annual meeting. We only have 1 annual meeting a year and so much effort is needed to make all this happen.
I know there are some outstanding circumstances that keep some our loyal members at home, but a majority of our "members" don’t seem to give much effort to support their club.
I foresee lots of changes to the DSCC in the coming year.
Some will support it, and some will not, but I think the club needs to have some changes made to improve it’s members participation.
We can either support our club or it will have a problem existing.
It’s a shame that so many people are eager to attend races and benefit from the club, but when it comes down to supporting it internally, they are nowhere to be found.

I refuse to let this club fail and will do everything I can to make sure it remains.
The Cobra “Family” is and will always be the BEST part of owning my car. It’s a shame more folks don’t feel the same.

I’ll get off my soapbox now… I just had to let that out.

Ed
FFR1997K

Last edited by Engineer Ed; 05-02-2003 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-01-2003, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Ed, it needed to be said. I've been kind of mystified by the lack of participation myself. I would think the Cobra community would be a bit more enthusiastic about getting out there with their cars.

After all, these cars are all about fun and excitement.....!!! I guess it doesn't make sense to me why anyone would have one and then, at the very least, not want to show it off every chance they get. Oh well.

Mike
Old 05-01-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been in contact with Dan the past few weekends getting updates as to the attendance figures.
Unfortunately, we have had to make some changes due to lack of funds.
This club does not have any dues and needing minimum attendance figures to secure banquet halls and such requires $$ that we just dont have.
Dan has already paid out too much of his own money for this event.

We were counting on more members to register early so we can guarantee the big events. Now, we will have to play things by ear.

Again, I foresee changes to the club this year and how we conduct our business.
I am positive that our loyal members will have no problem with these changes I will soon propose.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-01-2003, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ed, you're right, the level of participation leaves a lot to be desired. This is the third year I am hosting the Willis 100 track event(free to the DSCC guys), which with track rental, catered lunches, dinner, insurance, etc. costs about $10,000 and there is not much in the way of interest from the members. I think DC and TC are the only ones coming from this whole crowd.
I've opted to attend a race the weekend of the annual meeting, so I'm no better, but at least you have SOME level of interest.....
I do appreciate the level of effort that Dan has put into the meeting, and also Kieth for last year's meeting.
Look at the interest in Double Venom Spring Fling..... What are they doing different ?
On a more positive note, our local metro Atlanta group gets together all the time. I hate to admit to being previously friendless, but some of my best friends I've met on this board.
Maybe the lack of participation is the economy, or the season, or the fact that the meeting falls on Mother's Day, Or maybe everybody thinks it will rain again. Maybe nobody likes Dan (just kidding Dan).
Personally, I'm sorry I'll miss it
Old 05-01-2003, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
When is the Willis track event?

Jim Pomroy, Tom Jones, Jerry Miller and I are going to Sebring this weekend for the SVTOA event. I cant wait to finally get out on such a historic track.
I was going to contact you concerning this years "Reptile Roundup". I wanted to rent Sebring or another road course that guys could learn/drive on.
I personally can afford Gainesville and have already put down a deposit for November. I can take a small monitary $$ hit if it gets rained out. As for Sebring, I just dont have that kind of cash.

The Short track at Sebring is $5,500 per day plus insurance (another item we dont have).
If you can help in this matter, great. Feel free to contact me at any time. Pleas know that I dont want to impose at all.

Last year I believe you had the Willis 100 on July 4th weekend.
Unfortunately that happens to fall on my "Wife loves the fireworks at the beach" weekend.
This is a way I thank her for supporting me with my hobby.
Cant change those plans, especially since I spent big $$ on suspension upgrades this year.

Please contact me when you can.

Before I forget, thank you again for the ride in the GT40 Spyder last year!

Thanks,
Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

I had planned on being there earlier this year, but had not planned on being without a Cobra this time of year. Obviously dumb planning on my part--not having a car during one of the best driving months of the year, but opportunity struck. On behalf of the Georgia group, I feel ashamed that we have so few folks (this is my guess BTW based on your mesage) heading down there. I kid you not that there are at least 30-40+ Fauxbra owners now in the greater Atlanta area that we know about. The date is a tough one for sure however. I agree it is a shame and I personally want to see more true driving of Cobras, than driving them to lunch (not that I have ANYTHING against eating lunch ) I thank all of you who made last year's wash out a success, including JW who took 3 of his prized possessions to the meet knowing they would be "washed" by mother nature. I would love to see some PCA type rallies or poker runs, one Cobra owner was smart enough to attend a Porsche Club autocross to learn the limits of his car (no--wasn't me), and would love to see some participation at some WorldCarz/Tracquest or the Willis 100 events. It's our club, we make it or break it. Just like John, I have met my best friends through the car hobby after moving to Atlanta, and I feel blessed for getting involved. Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone or at any specific state in our union. But if we are to remain as LARGE as we are, we should expect to be able to get together once a year and discuss company business.
If some of us have to drive 8 hours, then so be it. It's for the benefit of the club!
Otherwise we need to re-think how the annual meetings are conducted. We really need the input from all or a majoprity of the members to make decisions that affect the group.
Unless we can hear from our people, how do we make decisions?

I know that planning this event on Mothers day might cause a few folks to re-think their plans.
Mom is important to all of us and after all, it is her day.
Mixing our pleasure and her day might not be the best idea.

From what I have heard from Dan and the lack of complaining on the forum, we assumed that not many folks had a problem with the dates and moved on with the plans. I believe Dan mentioned the park only had these dates to offer us and therefore we took them.

From pervious events, we have heard that our "meetings" need to incorporate things to do for the entire family. Especially if we are to hold an event over a weekend. Also, we need a weekend worth of events to give people a reason for driving for so long.
Having our wifes sit around and listen to us talk cars is either boring to them or not really in their best interrest.
I mean seriously, they have heard you talk about your car every show you attend... Am I right?

Having a theme park as a venue to host our meeting seemed like a great idea. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the guys and spending some quality time with my wife.

I know the economy is having more downs than ups these days, but it takes these types of activities to get our minds of troubling times. Also, putting $$ back into the economy is the only means to get it started again.
I'm trying to remain busy with my Cobra the next few weeks before the summer rains come and cause me to garage her till October. I've been attending races the past few weekends, Annual meeting soon and then hopefully i can convince the wife to make a trip to Roebling road to support John W.

Please dont think I'm calling anyone out. I'm just trying to light a fire under your butt if you dont have a good reason for coming to the annual meeting.

Please support your club.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-01-2003, 09:41 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Amen to those comments, Ed.

My biggest problem with this year's gathering was the date, and I made that known (respectfully) in some emails when it was being planned ages ago. With that said, the fact that my wife became a mother this year pretty much ruined any slim chance I had for attending. Having planned last year's event, I really feel bad for Dan. It is truly a pain in the ass to plan such a thing. People who've never done it just don't know.

But your point is a good one. We don't currently have much of a club... just a registry of owners in the Southeast.

Keith
Old 05-01-2003, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I wasn’t going to start this post until after our 3rd annual meeting was actually over. Ed is correct in the fact that something has to change. I have been to the 1st and 2nd DSCC events both which were rained out. If our 3rd event is rained out we will still have a great time, because of the location of our event. I attended the first Tequesta event without a Cobra, a beautiful day and about 30 Cobras. I had a Cobra gathering at my house last August with no rain in the rainy season and 18 Cobras were parked in front of my house. I was in Lutz, for the Reptile Roundup where it rained all day Saturday and we froze are asses off on Sunday, still a great event. I have been to both DVSFI and DVSFII, and at the first event it rained; I only had my Cobra with me at the second event. The wife and I are planning to attend DVSFIII with no Cobra and we will only be in Ohio for the event weekend. That trip is over 1,100 miles one-way. If my mother was still with us she would have been at Silver Springs but she passed away at 93 two years ago. My sister and brother will be at Silver Springs just to see the park. This is the 3rd annual event and it’s Cobra guys getting together, Cobra or no Cobra. The most fun I’ve had at all these events was sitting around and visiting with all the people I have met over the last three years.
Dan & Jean Wulff
Old 05-01-2003, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,
I appologize for starting this thread early.
Although I may not have to since I've got a good feeling about next weekend.
Weather will be great and we will all have a good time even if attendance is low.
Those of us who have a good reason for not making the trip, I'm sorry if I didn't make my feelings more clear.
I'm just trying to get those guys fired up if they have not made a decision.
Waiting till the last minute only hurts those of us who are trying to make plans.

Dan has been a loyal Cobra owner and even drove up to Valrico tel help me pull an engine last year.
I've yet to talk him into racing the yellow beast, but give me time!

Dan, thank you again for going to all this trouble and you can look forward to seeing me in Silver Springs.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-01-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I was going back into racing I think I would like to go drag raceing again. I did this many years ago, and it is a lot of fun but you need lots of money to replace broken parts and up grade to be on top. The rest of the year is for circle, drag, or autoxing your Cobra. The annual event is for the Cobra family and their mothers to meet each other and have fun. We need to vote on our officers for the coming year and make plans for the future of the club.
Dan
Old 05-02-2003, 04:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old car with 6 banger
Not Ranked     

Sorry guys, but it was a timing issue with me as well. My car is currently in pieces. My son is in the middle of baseball season, and I have several track events in June and July to get ready for. I know many of us in Atlanta would be there if our cars were running. I met many of the Florida members last year and appreciated the effort they made to drive through a monsoon to get here as I am sure Keith did when he planned the rainiest event in history. My apologies to Dan and the others who have worked hard on this event. I hope there is another one.

DC
Old 05-02-2003, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
At least I'll see you at the Willis 100.

We have so many members and I look forward to hopefully meeting all of them.
Just remember to bring a snorkel whenever you attend a DSCC event.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-02-2003, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sheesh, waxing in a hot parking lot with a bunch of peoples mothers at a kiddy park, better get my heart medicine .....
Old 05-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old car with 6 banger
Not Ranked     

He's Baaaaack!
Old 05-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Crace

He's Baaaaack!
Yep, out on parole for statutory rape if it's the same one I am thinking of. From what I heard, she was cute though.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Guys
I will try to at least make the dinner if I have to borrow my sons Mazda and drive to the event and back that night. My Cobra let me down at Gainesville and I will love to get together with you guys this weekend. I wanted to go to last years Willis 100 and I will go to this one if GOD wills it (she sleeps with me you know)

John
I am getting pumped up about a nice sunday (actually tuesday and wednesday) drive on a big race course with all the fast cars wizzing past me while I tool around with my left blinker on. Do they let you drive over 40mph on this track??? Hell we should get Dan to attend this Waxere event. He might actually drive his cobra instead of washing and waxing it. I will even drive under 35 so he can pass me. Actually with my luck I may blow out my tranny again and let Cobra Dan blow by me at 38MPH.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ruble,
I can't remember the last time I waxed the Cobra. But I knew that I didn't want to have to crawl under it daily to replace clutches or transmissions. That's why it has a turbo 400 TCI transmission. I'm glad your going to be with us even if you had to leave your broken Hunter at home. I didn't want to have to give the Sec. Trea. report.
Dan
Old 05-03-2003, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Report??? What report?? I thought all I had to do was shave my legs and show up to the meeting looking pretty to be the DSCC secretary? Now I have to give a speach? On second thought I need to work on my broken race car..err...Cobra.

Ummm?? Maybe the waxers are pretty smart after all. If you dont drive it you will not break it. Oh what the HE(double toothpicks) racing is so addictive.

Dan please come to the Willis 100 so I will not be the slowest car on the track.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era,427 genesis side oiler
Not Ranked     

I need not make any excuses. I am just not going to be there. First of all I don't have the money that most of you cobra owners seem to have. This is a problem in more than a few ways. I can't afford a trailer, much less a huge truck to pull it with. As far as racing, well I already covered the trailer thing. If something was to happen to my car it would be down for a long time untill I could afford to fix it. John you talk about the meeting being a timing thing well your event is on the 4th of July weekend. I am not trying to start a fight with anybody, but some of us are not as well off as a lot of you guys. I know that to have a 30,000 to 50,000 dollar car you should be able to afford some of the things that come with it but I can't yet. I am however trying to fix the racing thing by putting together a car that I can afford to walk away from. Maybe next year John, David, and Mike. Well I guess I am done *****ing. Plus I agree with spiderman.

Jeff Neely

Last edited by jeff neely; 05-03-2003 at 07:08 AM..