Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1345, 351W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default DSCC Runs at Sebring

On May 3 and 4 several members of the DSCC ran with the Ford SVTOA group at an open track event at Sebring Raceway. I have uploaded a number of photos from the event. They can be found at: Home > Club Cobra Gallery Categories > Club Photos > The Deep South Cobra Club.

The weather was hot and the track was fast. Tom Jones was the only mechanical failure with his second distributor gear failing in the the past 2 months. Engineer Ed had a minor overheating problem, which did not stop him from overtaking and passing Jim Pomory.

Carol and Terry Lee with their new mega trailer provided shade,chairs and a place for everyone to bench race between run sessions. Carol had here track debut at Sebring. Terry when are we going to have a second SPF and a bigger trailer?

All in all a good weekend.

Jerry Miller
Old 05-05-2003, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

WOW!! Those pictures are great!

Who's that chasing the Blue Monster?

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up GREAT JOB PAM!

Terry finally let me drive THE CAR----
Pam these pictures are great. Thanks for lugging that monster camera around in the heat & capturing my maiden run. I had the time of my life, can't wait 'til VIR. See you then!
Carol Lee

Jerry and Pam,
I'm glad we got the party warmed up; now we should be ready for some Big Time Fun!!!
What an absolute blast driving Sebring in a Cobra.

We sort of invaded a Mustang Cobra event for those of you who don't know what went on this past weekend. SVTOA put on a driving skills school on Saturday, and then on Sunday provided in-car instructors to show us how to run the track. Mine has run Sebring since the early sixties, so plenty of knowledge. I am ready for VIR now.
TL
Old 05-06-2003, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up What a great event.

Wow, I've never had so much fun with my clothes on

Jim, thanks for being such a good sport and taking it like a man.
FFR1997K was just awesome and it almost brought me to tears when I look ahead and saw the Blue Monster in my cross hairs.

Jim, I dont think that was an "official" hand signal you gave me to pass. I'm almost positive you werent gesturing "You are #1" with that single finger.....

In all honesty, Jim was driving with much more skill and intent in the third session. I had my hands full to keep him behind me....

I had to finally give in to the over-heating issue and let you go by.
My day was finished but I think FFR1997K was un-damaged.
What a difference a having the Blue Monster in your rear view mirror makes.
You forget about concentrating on driving the line, and more on keeping a Mustang out of your back pocket.
I'll have to get this heat issue fixed or I'll have a hard time keeping you behind me at Roebling road.

Lots of fun was had by all, except for Tom Jones.
I feel so bad for him. The Cam gear let go before he could even drive a single lap....
Tom, Roebling road is not too far off.
Ditch that high volume pump and lets get you some more track time

Thanks again to the SVTOA and the gang from the DSCC for making this trip so memorable.
I'm ready to go again.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-06-2003, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

You tell my buddy Tom to think Chevy, no more problems.
I thought he might be interested in the latest from Chevy.
The new ZZ572/620 is built around an all-new Gen VI tall deck Bow tie cylinder block. This all new race block is filled with a forged 4340 steel crank with 4.375 inch stroke, shot peened forged 4340H-beam rods, and forged aluminum pistons with full floating wrist pins. Hard core race parts for hard core long term durability!

The redesigned rectangular port aluminum cylinder heads result in a pump gas friendly 9.6 to 1 compression ratio. A hydraulic roller cam with 0.632 inch lift actuates the stainless steel valves. And, of course, hardened chromemoly retainers, roller rockers, and duel valve springs are used to complete the valvetrain.

A new GM tall deck single plane intake manifold and 850 CFM Demon carburetor deliver enough air and fuel to make the 620 horsepower at 5500RPM and 650 ft. lbs. of torque at 4500RPM. Ignition is handled by a GM HEI distributor.

Pump gas friendly, massive torque and horsepower, all from GM, the ZZ572/620 is for those who consider excess to be barely enough.

Available in both long block and deluxe engine configurations later in 2003.

Dan
Old 05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,
Shame on you....
If Tom had a Chevy powerplant, they wouldn't have let him run....
FORD's only event!

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-06-2003, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     
Default Re: What a great event.

Quote:
Originally posted by Engineer Ed

Wow, I've never had so much fun with my clothes on

Jim, thanks for being such a good sport and taking it like a man.
FFR1997K was just awesome and it almost brought me to tears when I look ahead and saw the Blue Monster in my cross hairs.

Jim, I dont think that was an "official" hand signal you gave me to pass. I'm almost positive you werent gesturing "You are #1" with that single finger.....

That's funny, I didn't see any pictures of the pass or of you in front of me...

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 05-06-2003, 03:05 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Talking Pix ?

Jim, I think Pam purposely didn't take any pix, cause Ed was trying to get back in his driving suit after deciding that YOU can have fun with your clothes on. Good thing Lorie wasn't looking.
You guys better keep up the practice sessions cause Jerry Miller and I are going to show you FFR and Backdraft guys what a SPF is capable of at the Reptile Round Up. Geeeze; did I start the trash talk already?

TL
Old 05-06-2003, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, "That'll be the Day".
No really, I'm so glad you guys had the best time. It sounds like I really missed the big one agian!!!
Well guys my tranny is back!!! Manny helped me put it back in BDR#5 and we're almost done and on the road again. Actually Manny did the putting and I helped, can not tell a lie!!!
Tom, have you made sure that they matched the metal of the gear? I went thru the same problem and it turned out to be that they sold me the wrong gear (material, that is). No, problem since corrected. Hope that helps!!! Good luck!

CobraDoc
Old 05-07-2003, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,
I've got video of the "Now famous pass".
Did you want me to post it on the forum to jog the ol' memory???
I wouldn't do that buddy. That would be rubbing salt in the wound. And you know me, I dont talk trash or start any @#$%.....

Jerry, thanks for the hospitality (AND THE SHADE).
Boy, was it HOT! Whew.
One of us needs to bring an A/C unit to RR in July.
I'll get mine fixed so we will have at least one.

What a great time, I'm still grinning
Next step is to get a new pan installed and look forward to Roebling Road for more practice.

Ed
FFR1997K
Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ENG. ED,
I've got a bigger fan that I will bring to the Repile Roundup. Now, we need to keep Tom running, because I saw a really big fan in his trailer, and between the two fans we can create a mini hurricane.
TL

Doc,
You and Manny better show up at the next event or there is talk of giving your spots to 2 of the central Fla. fruit pickers and their tractors.
Next time your tranny breaks, go to AAmco or Jose' Tranny and Cigar Shop, they can get you out in a day. How long ago was Homestead?
We've missed you guys.
TL
Old 05-07-2003, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Terry,
Don't think we'll need the mini-hurricane in November! If history is an indicator you ought to invest in more umbrellas and a heater big enough for the whole gang

I'm sure this year we'll have great weather for a change!