28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2003, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Atlanta Trailer Rental Option

I have found a new 16ft steel car hauler with pull ut ramps, "dove tail", new tires and electric brakes on one axel. Brakes could be added to the second axel.

QUESTION: Would people in the Atlanta area be interested in renting this trailer? Uhaul gets $50 a day, no weekly rate. I would propose $200 flat rate. Your own vehicle insurance woud cover the trailer and car being hauled.

I live in Decatur, 6 miles fm downtown. I would be willing to meet people half way if that would help.

The problem is that trailers sit too much. This wold help to keep it moving.

Let me know what you think asap. I need to make a decision soon! cb
Old 05-20-2003, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Southern Automotive "Super FE" - 452ci FE390 Monster!
Send a message via Yahoo to patrija
Not Ranked     

Chip

I'm not sure how often I'd need it, but I'd rent it when needed. Any idea of weight? Those UHaul trailers are 2100lbs and surge brakes.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Chipper,

Buy used, these things BARELY depreciate once picked up 2nd hand with 5+ years. They may not be shiny, but....

I can tell you FROM experience--buy a 24 foot stripped version at $3K. When you go to sell it, be prepared to take phone off hook after one hour. I kid you not!!! Which means you could probably get more!!! Or go to Spyderman's house, he has about 4-5 in his yard at anygiven time. Hurry though, I heard he was gonna park 'em side by side for a quintuple wide!!!

ZING!!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Chip,
I have a steel trailer and had it with me at McDonough. It came with dual axels with electric brakes on the rear axel only, used tires. I bought this trailer for $1,400 new and had to add the 4 D rings, and spare tire rack. Since then I added a winch and welded on extensions to the ramps so there isn't a 2 inch lift to drive up on. I added these last parts after not being able to get my Cobra on the trailer because of the wet conditions at McDonough. My Cobra wouldn't jump the 2 inch gap but had no problem pushing my trailer and tow vehicle down the parking lot. Thanks for the help in getting my car on the trailer. I had stored this trailer in my back yard for a few months until a neighbor turned me in, as you can't park a car hauler in your yard in Cape Coral. It then went into my 2 car garage on an angle because a 16 foot car haulers actual over all length is 21 feet. After Silver Springs I made the wife happy and it's in storage for $28.00 a month storage fee. I couldn't rent a UHaul because the weight of my cobra plus trailer would weigh more than my tow car and with surge brakes they wouldn't rent to me. The only way your trailer plan would not be a good idea, if you Atlanta guys would have all needed that same trailer the same weekend because you were all coming to Silver Springs. Yeh right.
Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 03:22 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me, Chip.

Keith
Old 05-21-2003, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TC: I would LOVE to find aused trailer-have een looking EVERYWHERE! Call 8 over the weeked and ALL were gone.

I have roomtostore.

EVERYONE keep your eyes open: if you know o f one, let me know. Don't mind to put tires, paint and wheel bearngs.

A good (cheap) 16-18-20 footer wouldbeGREAT. b
Old 05-21-2003, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

I tried to find a used one no luck. I don't want anything bigger than 16 foot or wife will kill me. The place already looks like a car lot. Dan is right about us all going to the same place at the same time. We could get a semi rig with a second deck in a 48 footer that might work. Heck we could put a dromadery box on the tractor and make that part into a camper like Penski's got were talking 200k to 250k or maybe find a used one kiding aside $200 is that a daily rate????
Old 05-21-2003, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraDan

The only way your trailer plan would not be a good idea, if you Atlanta guys would have all needed that same trailer the same weekend because you were all coming to Silver Springs. Yeh right.
Dan
Dan, a Silver Springs type trip is not for everybody.
Please leave the poor Atlanta guys alone. They are some of the most active in the whole club .
I know this is a thread about trailers, soo.000....
TC, hows your sister liking that new trailer she's working in ?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
I did post about trailers, but if a club had only one trailer, would they not all need it to go to your sons Willis 100? Plus I sent the Florida racing group up to Georgia to show you guys how to race.

Does this mean you didn't like McDonough, I mean there was no racing only lots of RAIN?
Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraDan

John,
if a club had only one trailer, would they not all need it to go to your sons Willis 100?

Does this mean you didn't like McDonough, I mean there was no racing only lots of RAIN?
Dan
Dan, Thanks.
Now I'll have a nightmare that you are that guy from "Kung Fu" with the white eyes always posing riddles to Grasshopper.
I had a great time in McDonough. I drove in the rain and there was an 85mph headwind.
I feel it is a very valid point that it is useless for us to count on using the same trailer .
Old 05-21-2003, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

If you can come down to Cape Coral, I will let you use my trailer, thats If I can find it with all those others in storage. Of course if I ever get back into Drag Racing the trailer might be in use on weekends instead of storage.

Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Johan

TC, hows your sister liking that new trailer she's working in ?
She likes it a lot, so do the Johns, and the vice cops haven't found it yet. Business has never been better!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Dan
They do not let you park a trailer in your neighborhood??? Who lives next to you that Robin Leach guy from the Lifestyles of the rich and famous. Now if you really want to piss off the neighbors just let us all show up at your next cobra bash with our trailers in tow. We could park them everywhere and threaten to show up every weekend if your nosey neighbor doesn't keep his nose out of your business. Up here if you don't have a few trailers, hound dogs, old appliances or junk cars in your front yard they think you are snooty or a Yankee. LOL

Also I doubt the Florida gang can teach John anything about racing but I bet you can teach him how to wax his car.

Just kidding
Old 05-21-2003, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stan Wattles, Tornelli, and this "IDIOT", are all from Fla. (but I'm moving back to Atlanta next week) with a TRAILER. Johna better put a hale bay on the back of his car .
Hey Dan How many miles is it from Miami to Atlanta ?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My neighbor that moved in from California I think, turned me in, of course you can have a trailer with a boat on it but no car haulers. I told the ticket man that I was going to buy a boat to put on the trailer he said no way. When I had the Cobra Bash at my home we had lots of trailers parked around. They give you 5 days to comply with moving your trailer, so bring your trailer on down anytime. Plus it takes awhile to get the enforcer out of the donut shop to write the ticket in the first place, in fact thats what I told him. You would have to move it every 5th day but then you could come back for another stay of 5 days. Now as far as waxing your car most racers that are at the top of their game would wax so you can cut through the wind better and win the race. You better run out tonight and buy a gallon of wax, don't worry about John he already has his gallon.
Dan
P.S. Sorry Tobey Miami to Atlanta 693.7 miles. Moving back to Atlanta to make that second Spyderman movie?

Last edited by CobraDan; 05-22-2003 at 01:09 AM..
Old 05-21-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would be flat rate : very informal. Just to oset the cost and maintainin it. Better for a trailer to be used!

cb
Old 05-21-2003, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DSCC Ideas

1. Ask for voluntary contributionswter forums and people will usuall give more than an amout asked for.

2. Piggy back onto some other event: SAAC, DV Sprng fling, Ford weekend at one of the big local drag strips example Atlanta Dragway Atlanta, Commerce, GA) or even the Walter Mitty Historics at the end of April each year: Road Atlanta would even give us a "club corral" Or the new barber FIA track east of Biringham, AL.

3. Don't be obsessed with the DSCC: We all have many other interests both within the automotive worrld and outside of it (boats, I have 6 includinga 955 runabout). SCUBA, other marques. (Buildig a track turbo miata has been a blast: from Big Block to Rice burners! An a whole new group of friends: Miata Aluminium Big block: Dreaming of a new Ford Ranger 2.3 liter alum 4!)

IMHO cb
Old 05-21-2003, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

woops: meant to be a new thread: can anyone move it? cb
Old 05-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chip,

I am supposed to be able to move it, but I can't , just edit it down to nothing