Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Willis Racers list

Here we go again, it's time for the 3rd annual WILLIS RACE.
This year it is to be held June 28-29 and July 1-2, 2003 again at Roebling Road Raceway, in Savannah Ga.
www.Roeblingroad.com
The first two days, june 28-29, are a POC ( Porsche Owners Club) event and they have been gracious enough to invite our group to share the track with them without having to join POC or even have a Porsche. I believe they are charging $250 for both Days. Details of their event can be found at
www.POCse.us
but in a nutshell they have a DE ( Drivers Education) format with several groups having different passing rules per group based on experience.
June 30th we are having a "go to the beach" day at Hilton Head Island as we promised our wives,followed by an afternoon cookout in the yard looking at the cars with some refreshments.We'll call it somewhat of an early evening so as to be "bright eyed and bushy tailed" at the track first thing in the morning.
July 1 -2 we are back at the track and DSCC members will be my guests. Same basic format as the POC event, running the same schedule.
The Holiday Inn (oceanfront) is very convenient to my house and they are not yet booked up. The # is (843) 785-5126. There are plenty of places to stay that are closer to the race track (45 min - 1 hour away from Hilton Head) . Check the Roebling website above. Camping is allowed at the track.
Guys that have been to Gainesville should enjoy this track. Those with no experience whatsoever should contact me so as to know what to expect. Car/Driver preparation is covered on POC website.
The Idea here is to have a fun Fourth of July week at the beach with a little track driving thrown in for good measure. Even in the open passing groups this is not a race, it is a "ride and drive " track event. The corner workers will expel goofballs without hesitation ( Toy Collector ?) and you'll have to sit outside the gate with a dunce cap on till dinner's ready.

List of attendees:

Group 1: Passing with wave by in straights only, casual driving,

Dave Crace + 1... Cobra..... Group leader ....POC + willis
John & Joene Owen .... Cobra # 13 ..... POC + Willis
Tony tripoli .... 911sc...POC + Willis
Deborah Tornello.....Porsche 356....POC + Willis
Chad... Mazda Turbo......POC + Willis
Mike Iodice .... Cobra
Larry Weisman..... Cobra
Jim Pomeroy .... Mustang
Jay letts .... Porsche 914 ..... #73....POC + Willis
Ed Kamptner + 1.... Cobra ...#97... Willis only
Tom Jones ...... Cobra
Mark Miller .... Mercedes
Ruble Moore + 1..#009..... Cobra
Tommy Powell ..... Cobra .....#66
Erik Brownyard .... Porsche 944....#86..POC + Willis
Dave Eastman .... Cobra
Holly Triplett ...... Porsche Boxter S...... Willis only
Tony Hull .... BMW M6......#06
John Woerheide .... Gt350...... #65

Group 2:Passing with wave by everywhere but turns 1 and 9,
No Wave by required on front straight. Some experience required

Mike Geng + 1.... Porsche 944..#58... group Leader..WWIII
Chip....Mazda turbo....
John Hinds .... Porsche 944....#56
Rick Brownyard + 1 .... Porsche 944...#86....POC + Wilis
Dave Crace .... Porsche 911sc....POC + Willis
Sarah Dawson .... 930 Turbo...#84...Willis only
Bob Dawson ..... Porsche GT2 .... #98
Mike Lynam .... 911 sc....POC + Willis
Jerome Craig + 1.... 914-6 ... POC + Willis
Mark Mcguire ... Porsche 911.....#78.......willis only
Rex Smith .... Porsche 911...POC + Willis
Greg Patrick + 1... BMW M3.....POC + Willis
Mike Levine ... V8 Corvair.....Willis only
Jim Triplett .... Ferrari 328 GTS..... Willis only
John Woerheide .... Gt40 ...... #54.....POC + Willis
Mike Lynam .... Lola T596/8......#12.....P+W

Group 3: No passing restrictions. Competition experience required.

Billy Bob .... 2000 Winston Cup .... #94 .....P+W
Johan Woerheide .....'73 Carrera RSR ... #41...P+W
Tornello's nightmare.... Lola t333 Sony coupe ... #16...P+W
Robert Tornello + 1.... Lola t600 or 935jlp-4.... #111...P+ W
Gene Felton + 1 .... Winston Cup Car...... #8 ...Willis only
Ed Bull .... Winston Cup Car....#77...willis only
John Collasante .... Porsche 917/6......#20 Car may not be done
Will King .... Porsche 911
Stan Wattles....canceled
John Woodruff .... Winston cup car .... #13
Bob Z ...... Winston Cup Car
Bobs friend .... Trans Am car
French guy ...... wing da ding ding ? ( actually embarassingly fast)

Please provide your input. If you see your name up there and you are not coming, let me know so that I can remove it .
JW
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No need to reply to this thread, as I intend to only post stuff worthy of printing out here, such as the list, the schedule, etc.
If you do not see a car number by your entry, you might want to pick one and e-mail me. If you want to do the POC event, they are filling up fast if they are not already full.
Thanks.

Last edited by Johan; 06-13-2003 at 09:24 AM..
Old 06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tentative schedule (for me at least)
Friday June 27th :
Roebling's padddock open from 5:00 - 8:00pm for unloading trailers/cars etc.

Saturday June 28th:
Run with POC to an extent, but I will still be shuffeling(sp?) cars to the track for most of the day. Many of you will be using this as a travel day. Feel free to stop by.

Sunday June 29th:
Run with POC again. Some "Willis Racers" will be here at this point running also, and it is OK to just join POC's event on Sunday.

Monday June 30th:
Roebling Paddock available for trailer parking, etc.
This is going to be a bright , sunny day with a nice breeze. We are going to all hook up early afternoon on Hilton head Island and have a car show in my front yard, wearing shorts over our swimming suits and enjoying the cars while they still look good and run.
We will have a grill and smoker going as well as a "low country boil". There is a pool , a pond for TC,and a beautiful beach. This is the portion of the event where the different types of wax jobs can be discussed whilst sipping a cold one, and we can also have an informal driver's meeting to discuss who brought the best looking chick. It will be an early night for most as many will have a 45 minute drive back to the "track motel" of their choosing, or for those staying on Hilton Head, a 45 minute stumble home in the dark .
Tuesday July 1:
Meet at the track bright eyed and bushy tailed around 7:30. Course will go green at 8:30 after we go over the flagging system and safety concerns. There will be a "ducks in a row" lead/follow session during which the correct racing line will be observed. We will then run by group, and limited instruction will be available to those that request it. Rides will be given in some of the faster cars for those that wish to do so (at their own risk).
Several mechanics will be available to help with your car. If we did not see it at the beach day yesterday, we will look it over before you go out. rollbar, racing seat belts, etc. will be checked.Your cars level of preparation remains your responsibility, however, and you should do a thorough checkover before you bring it to the track. Brake pads, bearings, tires, fluid levels, etc.
Lunch is provided ( headcount appreciated) followed by an afternoon of the same running by group.
"Bench Racing and Budweiser" will begin when the last car is off the track.We only drink Bud and not till the last car is off the track for the day. There is a big grill at the track, and we are welcome to stay for a while and use it to cook whatever we want. We'll send somebody to Publix after putting in our orders.
Camping is allowed at the track and there are showers. Those staying on Hilton Head might stop off at Hudson's Seafood at the bridge to hilton Head on our way home, while those camping or staying near the track are on their own.
Wednesday July 2nd:
Repeat , however we may organize different groups (such as an all-Cobra session)and activities (such as drag racing up the front straight).Lunch is up to you, as some folks will have left and an accurate head count is tough. We will need to pack our stuff up as SCCA racers will begin showing up for their 4 day event . It may be possible to leave the trailers in an out of the way spot for those staying at the beach all week.

Thursday July 3rd:
Willis' Birthday and the reason I call this the Willis Race. I've been doing this track deal with my buddies for years , but 2 years ago Willis decided to steal the show and be born at 7:00 in the morning the day of the event .
I made it back to Atlanta in 2 hours and 37 minutes, beating Willis by 19 minutes.

Friday July 4th:
For those that have so far refused to leave, we will again be at the beach and you are welcome to join us.

That's about it. Remember, this is OUR event, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can hardly wait,
JW

The following is a list of Hotels and Inns within walking distance from Savannah's Historic District and the very popular River Street.

(Approximate travel time to the track is 30-40 min.)

East Bay Inn
222 E. Bay Street
912-238-1225

Marriott Savannah Riverfront
100 General McIntosh Blvd
912-233-7722

Hampton Inn Historic District
201 E. Bay Street
912-234-9700

Mulberry Inn
601 E. Bay Street
912-238-1200

Hyatt Hotel
2 W. Bay Street
912-238-1234
River Street Inn
115 E. River Street
912-234-6400

Days Inn Suites Historic Riverfront
201 W. Bay Street
912-236-4440

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is a list of all area Hotels and Motels that are near the track. The ones listed at highway 21 @ I-95 are somewhat between Hilton Head and the track.

Comfort Inn Suites
I-95 & US 80
912-748-6464
8 miles

Jamison Inn
I-95 & US 80
912-748-0017
8 miles

Microtel Inn
I-95 & US 80
912-748-1112
8 miles

Econo Lodge
I-95 & US 80
912-748-4124
8 miles

Ramada Limited
I-95 & Hwy 21
912-964-6060
12 miles

Ramada Limited
I-95 & US 80
912-748-5242
8 miles

Holiday Inn Express
I-95 & Hwy. 21
912-964-8900
12 miles

Sleep Inn
I-95 & Hwy 21
912-966-9800
12 miles

At the Beach ( Hilton Head, It is either
Holiday Inn Oceanfront
(looking up number)
or
The Breakers
(Looking up the number)

Last edited by Johan on 06-10-2003 at 09:56 AM

Last edited by Johan; 06-11-2003 at 01:00 PM..
Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Following is advise from Roger Davis (Club Cranky) on running track events. I agree with most of it and did not think he would mind if I copied it here

"If you are just getting started in running Open Track with your Cobra here are some things you should know,have and do.
1. go over car and tighten every nut and bolt.
2.replace your brake fluid with high temp brake fluid. If you have synthetic fluid , flush it out completely. Don't argue about this. We are right. synthetic is for street/show cars.
3.You must have at the minimum a rollbar that is at least 2" over the top of your head with helmet on. A full width rollbar is preferred if you want any in car istruction. The learning curve is much longer if you do lead follow type instructions.
4.Install new brake pads if more than 1/2 worn out.Adjust brakes for full pedal.
5.Repack front wheel bearings.
6.Install two throttle return springs.
7.Install radiator overflow catch can.
8.Retorque all lug nuts. If you have pin drives, safety wire the spinner.
9.Make sure radiator hoses are in good condition
10.Repair any oil leaks, nobody wants to spin out in your oil.
11.Make sure battery is secure (no bungies) and terminals are covered.
12.Make sure brake lights are working.
13.Make sure you have at least a four point harness(5 is preffered) in good condition.
14. Have a good full face helmet at least a SA 95 .
15. Have arm restraints in any Open top car.
16.Have cotton long sleeve shirt and full leg pants(no shorts). A fireproof driving suit is preffered.
17.Make sure your gas cap seals in case of rollover. Some of the Cobra fliptops do not seal properly. A temp fix is a tennis ball under the cap on top of filler pipe. Safety wire cap.
18. Most important rule for first time Cobra Drivers.Leave Cobra superiority attitude at home. You will quickley learn that all that HP you have under the hood is no substitute for driving experience. You will be passed by more experienced drivers in cars with 1/4 the HP you have. Once you get some track experience you can go back and pass those guys but for the first time out you just want to get the feel for the track and you want to learn your car.
Forget everything you have ever read on the internet about the Cobras being the fastest car in the world and don't get too upset when the Miata of VW goes blowing by you into the corners.
I have seen way too many guys with Cobras and other high powered cars who were going to break the track record the first time out only to set the record for fastest to ride back on the rolloff.
Club Cranky members, Joe Rodomista (McFIA) and Don Durner(McFEz)in Cobras will be passing just about everybody on the track but remember these guys have many years experience and at one time they too were beginners.
So get those cars ready and sign up for the next event and get started on having more fun in your car than you can imagine.
You have to know this flag stuff. There will be a test .......

Flags are used to communicate to the drivers. Flags may be used to warn drivers of changing conditions, a problem ahead, a faster car behind or the end of a session. It is imperative that all drivers commit the meanings of all flags to memory. A simple rule of thumb is that a waved flag indicates a more serious problem than a stationary one. Two waved flags indicate an increased level of seriousness. TC has seen three at an HSR event.

GREEN FLAG - The track is open and clear for use. This flag will be displayed for one lap after the caution flag has been shown.

YELLOW FLAG - The YELLOW flag, also known as the CAUTION flag, will be displayed for the first lap of the first open lapping session for each run group. No passing is allowed whenever the YELLOW flag is displayed. If the flag is waved it indicates that there is a serious problem just ahead, possibly a car or other obstruction on track. Slow down, and proceed with caution! Don't wear a yellow shirt and jump around near a corner worker station like Dave Crace did.

RED FLAG - This flag means something major has happened, and the track is being shut down. When red is displayed, the first thing you should do is look in your mirrors. Then apply your brakes smoothly and firmly until you come to a stop. Stay in your car where you are and you will be advised by someone (a corner worker or TracQuest official) when you may proceed. Remember, stay in your car!!! We do not want to see a red flag.

BLACK FLAG
Black Open - This flag means there is a problem with your driving and/or car. Slow down and come into the pits and stop in the hot pits at Start/Finish to talk to the Pre-grid controller. If you are not sure if the black flag is meant for you, it is still prudent to come in and check with the Pre-grid controller. If a black flag is shown at all corners slow down and come into the pits.

Black, Furled - If this Black Flag is pointed at you, it's a WARNING that you broke a rule or drove unsafely. Don't do it again! Stay out on track and behave yourself !

BLACK FLAG / ORANGE BALL - This flag, sometimes called the MEATBALL flag, means that the turn workers have noticed a problem with your car. Proceed around to the pit exit, exit the track and talk to the Pre-grid controller at Start/Finish about your mechanical problem. TC had beer cans blowing out of the windows and got meatballed once. Clean your car out before you go on the track. Do not spill fluids on the track. Use catch cans.

BLUE FLAG - This flag, commonly called the PASSING flag, means that you are being overtaken by cars that are faster than you in the corners, even if you may be much faster on the straights. When you see this flag, look in your mirrors. Signal and allow faster cars behind you to pass at the next passing zone. And remember: if a car is right behind you, he/she is probably faster than you - Scotty didn't just beam him in there!

WHITE FLAG - This flag indicates that there is an ambulance or slow moving vehicle on the track, which could be moving in the same direction or the opposite direction. Please be on the lookout for it. You may pass the vehicle carefully when you come upon it. If the flag is waved, this vehicle is just ahead; slow down.

YELLOW FLAG with RED STRIPES - Referred to as the OIL flag or DEBRIS flag, this flag indicates oil or debris on the track, or slippery conditions. The flag will be waved at the location of the problem for one or two laps. Caution throughout the session is recommended. Just because the flag isn't being waved throughout the rest of your session doesn't mean the problem has gone away.

CHECKERED FLAG - This flag means the driving session is over. Slow down and allow your car to cool down. Exit the track at the end of the lap. This flag will be displayed at Start/Finish only. Passing after the checkered flag is not recommended, unless you need to keep your tires hot in order to use a pyrometer. DO NOT BLOW THE CHECKERED FLAG!! Aside from being black flagged, you will know that 20-25 other cars are sitting there at Pre-grid, waiting for their session to begin, watching you go around the track BY YOURSELF!

Hope to see you at an event soon.
Roger Davis aka Cranky

Last edited by Johan; 06-11-2003 at 01:05 PM..
Old 06-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Johan,

Willis only for me as a driver.