21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2003, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default OPEN TRACK EVENT, Kershaw SC, Aug30/31 . . . . . . . . . Event MOTEL info attached

CobraEarl’s FFR Accessories and Whitby Motorcars, Inc. invite you to attend an open track event at Carolina Motor Sports Park, Kershaw, SC. August 30/31 2003.

We hope to have many Cobras of many brands in attendance, maybe even some CSX cars. There may be some mustangs, Corvettes and Z-cars there also.

The registration form at the bottom is a PDF file. If you cannot open the document, you can either download Acrobat document reader from the Internet or you can email me and I will send you a word version of the document. Or send me your address and I will mail you one.

When we receive your registration form we will send you a package of further information including event rules, track rules, a tech inspection form, local motel information and other general information about the event.

The event will have a very similar format to a lot of Open Track events I’ve seen, in that we will probably have 3 classes depending on Driver experience and HP of the Cobra. Plus we will have a ladies class. But,ladies that want to can run with the guys.

Each class will probably run for about 20 minutes then the next class will run for about 20 minutes. This rotation will go on all day long.

The track is 2.25 miles and 14 turns... 35 foot of elevation change. We will have the whole track for two days. If you have never been to one of these, it will be worth your time.

Website for CMSP: WEBSITE: http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/default.asp

Please note that this is not a racing event. There will be no keeping of times (officially). If your wife wanted to time you, no one could keep her from it.

There will be a tech inspection. Drivers will be required to have up to date SNELL RATED helmets. Cotton long sleeve shirts and long legged cotton pants will be required while on the track. Class A (Advanced) participants are encouraged to wear drivers suits.

We are looking for Volunteers to help make this event a success. Additionally, drivers may be required to take at least one turn as a corner worker each day, if we dont get enough 100% volunteers.

Saturday Night, we will have a volunteer appreciation BBQ.

We will have camping available both nights. (Friday and Saturday) Volunteers can camp for free. CMSP has electric hookups and a bathhouse with Showers.

Drivers that complete the Volunteer portion of the registration form will be considered to be volunteers also. There fore, they will be eligible for free camping and free Volunteer Recognition BBQ supper Saturday night.

CAR STORAGE OVERNITE: We will have a guard hired so we can leave our cars there over night on Friday night and Saturday night.

SPECTATORS: This is not a spectator event, that is, spectators cannot pay to come in. However, drivers can have a large pit crew. Pit crewmembers may get asked to become active volunteers, also.

Anyone that wants to come as a volunteer, let me know and I will get you in.

ALCOHOL is allowed but, OF COURSE it’s not for drivers during the hours of the event. The management of CMSP prefers that it not be around during the day. But, if you non-drivers want a beer be very discrete. Volunteers must not drink during event hours either. The track manager said there has never been a problem there with alcohol and we absolutely will not be the first

KERSHAW is DIRECTLY SOUTH of Charlotte, about 60 miles. Took me exactly one hour to get back to I-485 south of Charlotte straight up hwy 521... But I may have violated some speed limits a little.

Registration is open to all brands of Cobras on a first come basis.

We hope you will come, have fun, and support this event. We look forward to hosting two of these events each year. Hopefully one each year can be held at VIR.

Earl Groce, CobraEarl’s FFR Accessories
Jeff Collins, Whitby Motorcars, Inc.

REGISTRATION FORM

Last edited by Cobraearl; 07-30-2003 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-10-2003, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289-FIA sold, sniff
Not Ranked     

I see that you will be having mustangs, corvettes, etc. Is the event open to other marques? I'm always looking for a little extgra track time with my Porsche, but don't want to intrude. I spent a number of great weekends at CMP with my Unique FIA, but I am "in between" Cobras at the moment.

Rick
Old 07-10-2003, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can run with the cobras, we would not have a problem...

Some OLD porches were low powered and handle great.

If its one of the fast porches, NO PROBLEM

earl
Old 07-11-2003, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earl--

Thanks for getting back to me. My car seems to be able to run with the Cobras pretty well. We did that last week at Roebling with the Willis Woerhide group and had a ball (though those big v-8's sure out-powered us on the straights). I run 1:59-2:00's at CMP and if the cobras are a bit faster, I'll stay out of their way. I'll try to clear my calendar this this weekend so that I can register. If the event fills up and a cobra wants in, I'll move aside since I know that the opportunities for Cobras to get out and hit the tracks are more limited than for the Porsche guys.

As a plug to the Cobra owners, CMP is a great cobra track. I couple of good straights and some technical areas that will really show you your cars abilities and limits. I had tons of fun with my unique at CMP. Make sure your brake pads are in good shape and the tires are fresh. At cobra speeds these items get used up pretty quickly!

Rick
Old 07-11-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

I'm in between on which car to bring; Mustang or Cobra. I assume it's Ok to run either or both, but we know what ASSUME means. I don't have a roll bar in the Mustang, so that may disqualify it right off. And I don't want to get stone chips on the nice paint job on my ERA Cobra.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by speed220mph

I'm in between on which car to bring; Mustang or Cobra. I assume it's Ok to run either or both, but we know what ASSUME means. I don't have a roll bar in the Mustang, so that may disqualify it right off.
We have not got our package from the insurance company yet, BUT I ASSUME, they will require roll bars in OPEN CARS...

If you would be running in Class A (Advanced) Id like to see some pretty good protection.

As far as one participant running more than one car, Thats a question We had not anticipated. I'll get with the committe and get you an answer. My "knee jerk" answer is "one entry fee, one car". BUT, I'll get back to you.

Look forward to seeing you at kershaw.

THANKS AGAIN for Speaking at Whitby motors at Christmas.

earl
Old 07-11-2003, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Earl:

I'll be waiting to hear about Kirshaw. As for speaking at Whitby's, it was my pleasure. Met a lot of neat people and connected faces and names.

Tom Monroe

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 07-11-2003, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to cobramandave
Not Ranked     

Earl,

I can asure you Agingracfully will not have a problem keeping up with the cobras. What he lacks in HP he makes up with handling.

Agingracfully,

I had a geat time at the willis 100 with you and Eric. See you at kershaw.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave--

Thanks, we had a blast too. I'll bring my other car, identical, but with another 170 horses. Should allow me to peddle less on the straights.

I'm going to try to get erik to stay a little longer so that he can act ad pit-crew.

Rick
Old 07-11-2003, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about racing Pintos ? Believe it or not, Me and Johan are at Roebling still trying to go faster than wes ever been.
The Pinto bean LOVES CMP.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Do not believe Spyderman when he says he is racing a Pinto. That is like saying they run Caprices in the IRL. His car is more like a small can am car powered by a very warmed over 2.3 L ford motor. I had to look down at him in my Cobra. Heck Go carts are taller and probably do not handle as well.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ruble-

Lets not forget the endles chain of babes that seem to follow Spydee around--

Riclk
Old 07-12-2003, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, so its a Pinto motor anyway, and its a 2 liter. Did you know that Pinto motores haave forged cranks, yes, all of them did. Anyway, its either the Pinto or the Zimmer Golden Spirit.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earl,

My check is in the mail. this has to be the best event in Southeast
this summer. I have been to Kershaw, and it is too cool. No separate pit area, and everyone is super friendly. It is neat to beable to go around and meet people who have or like cobras.
Even if I did not have a cobra, this is THE place to be. Talk about
a "snake pit" (reminds me of Indiana Jones).

Thanks to you and Jeff for doing this. Let s hope everyone shares our feelings about getting together.

bob
Old 07-20-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Earl,

I just cant believe that all these people on clubcobra-DSCC-
are not responding to your invitation. Judging from the response
on ffrog, the ffr people are more involved than DSCC.

As a relative newcomer, I thought cobra people were more social
and wanted to get together. Do people not want to learn to drive these cars better and safer? Do they not want to see what others have done to the cars, and learn? Do they not want to have a common base among other enthuiasts? What about a
just all-around good time?

Iwill be there if you and I are the only two people there.

See you August 30th in Kershaw....

Bob
Old 07-20-2003, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, There will be more than you or I...

We have several signed up already... Some from FFCobra, Some from Club Cobra.

We also have a lot of folks that have volunteered to help.

earl

Last edited by Cobraearl; 07-24-2003 at 07:20 PM..
Old 07-20-2003, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sent my check to Jeff Thursday. I'm really looking forward to this. Anyone out there willing to show me the line around CMP? I've never run there before and would like to know some more about it before I drop the hammer!
h dog
Old 07-21-2003, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by bobwilkes

Earl,

I just cant believe that all these people on clubcobra-DSCC-
are not responding to your invitation. Judging from the response
on ffrog, the ffr people are more involved than DSCC.

As a relative newcomer, I thought cobra people were more social
and wanted to get together. Do people not want to learn to drive these cars better and safer? Do they not want to see what others have done to the cars, and learn? Do they not want to have a common base among other enthuiasts? What about a
just all-around good time?

Iwill be there if you and I are the only two people there.

See you August 30th in Kershaw....

Bob
Bob, do you have a brother named Dan in Florida ? If you start quoting milages between member's cities and this event, you will have answered my question ! looks like a DSCC vs. FFROG challenge is shaping up here.

Earl, what are the passing rules in group A ? Your event sounds like fun. Spyderman told me about it , and if that does not scare you, you have not met him.....
Johan
Old 07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Johan,
Leave me out of this one my only brother lives here in Cape Coral as we all like WARM weather. I sent a whole crew of Floridians up to your event in Georgia at the beginning of this month. Now lets see if you Earl and Al make it to the Reptile Roundup in November. Almost everyone that is going to this event has his name on the membership list of the DSCC.
Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm in- just faxed my application and credit card info. Look forward to seeing all those beautiful cobras and hearing the roar of the v-8's over my puny 4-banger. Hope that Toy Collector, Johan and Spydee are coming as well as the other DSSC members

I'm now back in the market for another cobra and am talking to several parties about their cars. Don't think that I will have one in time for the event, but it could happen...

Rick