14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2003, 06:33 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Cool Key West Poker Run Report

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The weather couldn't have been better.

It all started out Friday afternoon with the Millers arriving at our house. After unloading Jerry's Cobra and putting it in the spare garage we headed out for a Fish Fry dinner. "Motel Mike" was the entertainment that night so we opted to head down to Delray and check out the street scene there. After cruising Atlantic Ave. and the beach we headed home for a good night's sleep so to be ready to head out early Sat. AM.
We met up with Manny Lopez and headed down to BackDraft Racing in Pembrook Pines, where breakfast was waiting for us. Enzo from Finish Line showed up (new beard and all). Met Reg, Tony Martin, and the group as they were getting ready to head out to Run and Gun. Had to wait for Doc Lopez (what's new there?) By best guess, we had more than 20 Cobras at BackDraft to meet us. Most couldn't make the trip, but they came out to see us off. They even drew cards for the Poker Run. Kings, Queens, Jacks, and I'm thinking we don't have a chance in hell of coming close. Only to find out that the good Doc bought a deck of Pinochle cards. AND NOW, OFF WE WENT All 5 of us - It was ok. Next year there will be a waitng list to join in; but the 5 of us had the priviledge of doing the 1st ever Cobra Key West Poker Run.

We headed down US 27 to Florida City. Had a slight detour due to an accident, stopped and gased up and headed on down to our first stop where we picked up Cobra Dan (in a Camaro). Everywhere we stopped we drew a crowd. Several knew what we were driving, but there were comments like "is that an Austin Healy; or, is that an old Corvette?" My new answer to that one is "Sure is - a 1951"
Anyhow we had a good time explaining what we had, a where we were heading. Made it down to Key West in time for an afternoon dip in the pool; quite refreshing after the trip that started at 7:45 am in Palm Beach.
Now the Bay Bottom Crawl crowd shows up with their 6 Cobras and assorted other cars from their auotcross event. Impressive parking lot! Barry and Jammie Smith met up with us at this point with their Cobra. The pot for the Poker Run is getting bigger - We rename it to the "Pinochle Run," Manny has been trying to play dealer all taking all afternoon, so we fire his a$$ and get Jammie to deal. I didn't like Manny's cards anyway. Pam Miller wins the pot. We had agreed that half would go to "Team Jenny" which we will present to the DSCC at the Reptile Roundup. A nice check for our first try.

Sunday morning after breakfast we head over to check things out at the Bay Bottom Crawl. Can't see too much of the track due to extensive overgrowth. One thing you don't want to do here is go off track - if you do, you could find yourself in the Bay. This event is not for beginners! It is now time to head on down to the heart of the city "Duval Street." We park the Cobras, and head on into "Sloppy Joe's" (Hemingway's watering hole) for a little liquid refreshment and dancing. It's hot and the sun is still out, so one needs a little shade. We hang there until about 6:30 and then down to Mallory Square for the Dramatic Sunset. Now Manny is in his wheeling and dealing mode, trying to sell his Cobra to some old drunk, getting free appetizers, deals on dinner, and best of all - PARKING FOR THE NEXT EVENT

After dinner, it is time to Parade Duval again (10:30 pm). We crank up the Cobras (we are now back to only 5) but we can make some noise! We head out, and you talk about head turners. I don't think Pamela Anderson topless would draw more looks- well maybe. Anyhow our presence was well known. There were several little bleeps of the tires TOO, just in case they didn't hear us. I saw people coming out of the bars, just to see what the hell was making all this racket, and I'm sitting there trying to keep that **** eating grin off my face.

Monday morning finds us short Jerry and Pam Miller, Barry and Jammie Smith, and Dan and Jean Wulf as they have long drives and work commitments on Tuesday. But who says you need quantity to have FUN. I find a real deck of cards and now it's time for a real Poker Run. Games of chance included. We make several stops along the way, but make good time. We head off US 1 onto Card Sound Road and "Alabama Jacks" and the best conch fritters anywhere. We cross over several brigdes - and they hear us coming. Early dinner, draw the last card and bet up the pot. It's between the Lopez Boys at the end, and who should win but "Never on Time Doc Lopez" We are told there is a speed trap up ahead, so we drive off very quietly - State Tropper is at the restaurant using the facilities. All the way back to US 1 and Fla. City at the legal limit. We gas up AGAIN, say our good-bys as we head in different directions from here.

Carol and I pull in the driveway at 6:00 pm - ours hears ringing from the sound of the exhaust, and well tanned (OK, burnt). It is now time to just relax - damn rush hour traffic

All in all, I would say everyone had a great time.
No car failures or problems, except for one radiator cap.
The weather was perfect.
What more could one ask for? OK, Pamela Anderson topless in a Cobra. Pam if you read this, you ARE invited next year.
Hope to see more of YOU next year too. This is just too much fun not to share.
Hersch, we missed you somehow - next year bring the car, then we can find (hear) you.

Now it's time to get ready for Gainesville this weekend.

Happy Trails,
TL
Old 10-15-2003, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Terry,
Jean & I made it back around 1pm and we stopped for breakfast and lunch. I got Jean back to work so I can afford to come to the many Cobra outtings of the Deep South Cobra Club. We had a great time and the weather was great. I got an email from our newest member Jim Milliken who also came to the first Key West Poker run.
Dan & Jean

Dan,
It was nice to make it all the way back without having to put the top on-altho I did get a few sprinkles. Had to refuel in FLorida City and at the Indian reservation on the way back and of course arrived almost on empty. I may have to look into getting a Holley book and see if there is something I can do to give me at least ten miles to the gallon!
Later,
Jim
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys are a great bunch!!! WOW, even though we had a low turn out, we had one hell of a good time. Didn't we !!! Maybe that's why we had such a good time, huh!
I'll post all the pictures as soon as I get them. So far I've only gotten pic from JLo ( Manny's wife, not Dan A 's girlfriend)

I'm so glad you all had a wonderfull time.

CobraDoc
Old 10-15-2003, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1345, 351W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Pictures are UP

I posted a few pictures from the Pinochle Run.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...cat=37&thumb=1

Jerry Miller
Old 10-16-2003, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear all went well and you guys had a great time.

Gainesville this weekend and less than one month till the Roundup. Cant wait!

IT'S COBRA SEASON !!!

Ed
Old 10-16-2003, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, it was fun seeing all you Poker Run guys last weekend at Sugarloaf Key and in Key West! Sorry we didn't get to visit more. Our run group was called shortly after you left, and we ran crazy. I posted some pics from Bay Bottom Crawl here if you'd like to see how our weekend went while you were out chasing cards, girls, sun and booze!

Bay Bottom Crawl pics

See ya!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default POKER RUN

HI EVERYONE,

JAMIE AND I HAD A GREAT TIME.

IT WAS GREAT TO SEE YOU ALL AND HEAR THAT EVERYONE GOT HOME SAFE AND SOUND.

AS TERRY SAID, WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR AND THEN THROW IN THE PERFECT WEATHER.

WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON.

LIFE IS GOOD.....

BARRY AND JAMIE