14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2003, 06:44 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     
Default Florida Registration

Has anyone within the past year or so registered a new Cobra in Florida as a 1964 rather than a 2003? I'm looking for a legal, sure-fire way to register as a 1964 within the current regulations, and am trying to avoid going through a title washing service from another state. Aside from finding a clerk who doesn't know the rules and doesn't take the time to look them up, I don't know any other way. The rules call for kit cars and replicas to be registered as the year they are completed.
Nobody who sees a Cobra replica would consider it a 2003 any more than a newly-built Duece Coupe built from a kit would be anything but a '32 Ford.

Bumpster
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bumpster

I recently had my Unique registered in Clearwater, I was told the regulations have been changed in the last year. All new kit or replica are registered to the year of completion or manufacturers CofO.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to cobrakit66
Not Ranked     

bumpster
we re anxious to see some pics of this new critter
ron
Old 11-17-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I tried to pursue the '65 registration option, unsuccessfully. The clerk had the rules change that you mention on the web page on her computer which she let me read for herself. I pursued it a little more - up through her supervisor's superivsor. I was told that yes, they used to permit titling as a '65, but the rules were changed because people were reselling them as "originals" - right . Anyway, I was more interested in getting on the road, and the 2003 registration of a replica seemed to be more amenable to my insurance company so I didn't push the beaurocracy any further.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Florida Registration

I bought my Cobra in April. The Pennsylvania title read, "1965 Ford". still had to take it to the DMV in Winter Park, but those people were very cooperative. The Florida title now reads, "1965 Ford"
good luck, Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Title-tags

I titled mine July this past summer in Manatee Co (Bradenton) and was handed nifty "Antique" Tag. My Title reads 65 roadster / FFR / Replica. I was amazed that you showed them the C-of-O and your bill from FFR. Did I just get lucky?

FFR was in their computer as a Manufacturer and it took all of 15 Minutes to get it done. In fact the Gal helping me told me that if I go to a "antique shop / flea market" and dig up an original "65" Florida tag I can use it!

Rich
I want to build the best driver I can... for now... (OK that's what I told mama... now its a stroked 347!!!, trickflow, airgap, msd.... you get the picture... I hide the bills!!!!... delivery of engine January 03!!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got mine registered a year ago as a 65. I just went to a company in the back of Hot Rodder and purchased a 65 title from them.

I did the title transfer and attached the VIN number, had a friend who was a notary verify that I did it. Took it all to the DMV, and walked out with a shiny new 1965 Ford Roadster Title.

As for the insurance, I got mine from my State Farm agent. They were quite happy as long as I used the word replica. It's in their handbook under "Antiques and Replicas". I pay very little to insure it. The best part is no milage limits or where I can drive it. Heck I take mine to Home Depot and drive it to work as often as I can. I should point out that it's a stated value policy too.

Since my State Farm agent got a lot of calls I edited this Email to give more clarification.

1) Your price will vary based on where you live just like with any insurance.

2) You MUST have one other "normal" vehicle registered with State Farm, and carry complete coverage.

Last edited by David Niblett; 01-29-2004 at 06:34 AM..
Old 12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     

Dave,
What does is cost to buy a "title"? And when you say you "attached the VIN number" do you mean the
Vin from your Unique or the Vin on the title. And when you buy a "tilte" does it have to be from a 65 Ford? or any 65 car?
Thanks,
Jay B
Old 01-17-2004, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down As of April of last year things in Florida have changed.

This is a pdf file.
Dan

DMV Procedure TL-48Florida Registration

Last edited by CobraDan; 01-27-2004 at 03:10 AM..
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not sure, we did it a few years ago, but we where concerned more about the year then the name, we where able to get it down as a 1966 Lonestar, instead of a Cobra. Took a bit to get it done but we managed to do it, and anyone with a lonestar should be able to do the same thing because they entered it into their system when they did it for us.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Bumpster:
give me a email and I'll break the code for you. I did my Hunter last June as a 66 no problem; if you use the term "kit" your dead meat

gn
Old 01-27-2004, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

TennesseeTitle and Registration
Old 01-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 692, Ford 351W
Not Ranked     
Smile Florida Registration

Bumpster,

I recently purchased my Cobra from Customs Cars(Backdraft) in Boynton Beach and registered it as Antique - 65 Roadster.

Hope this helps.

Blue Man
Old 01-29-2004, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

Blue Man,

I have got a BDR on order now from Custom Cars. Did they help you with the registration or did you do it your self?? Please give me the details either here or email me @ dschwartz@jlc.gccoxmail.com
Thanks,
David
Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 692, Ford 351W
Not Ranked     
David,

The car I bought from them was ready to drive, so they did it for me as you would at your nearest dealer. Talk to Frank at BDR he can give you the details. Those guys are very helpful.