LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default I get the Dumbass of the Day Award

Hi Everyone,
I just discovered this site after owning my car for 14 months. Been to Sebring a couple of times and I've been disappointed that there were not more track events. Come to find out there have been and I've been missing them! I hope to attend more and improve my driving skills. I drive a bit on the street, 3K miles so far, but it is a little frustrating keeping my speed in check.

First Question- I have a minor oil leak, probably the main seal that needs fixin'. Any recommendations for a good local shop or individual in South Ft Myers area? Thanks.
Superformance #1608
Roush 402R
Sanibel, FL
Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Well -- welcome home.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Welcome John!

Or as trularin said "Welcome home"!

We all some how find this place eventually and start to mingle-in. I came here the opposite way of you, I lurked here, for a year, before I bought my Cobra.

Either way this is a good place to know if you have a Cobra.

Lot's of good info here, I found the 'search' feature the quickest way to find many answers. You might start there first.

Good luck
jdog
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

John,

Welcome!

Regarding the oil leak, make sure that it isn't something like a loose bolt at the rear of the valve that allows oil to drip along the engine and eventually drop from the tranny/ engine area appearing to come from the rear main seal. I was sure that I had a rear man seal leak once, but after putting dye in the oil and inspecting things, I went "DUH!" and then "Thank you, Lord!".

Hopefully you will be as lucky as I was.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Just remember, on this site, IRS stands for Independent Rear Suspension, NOT Internal Revenue Service.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hi John,

Look into joining SAFE Motorsports....Southwest Florida based group that rents tracks 8 or 9 times each year at Sebring, Moroso or Homestead. Lots of different vehicles compete and inexpensive track time. Just joined myself. www.safemotorsports.com.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEsprit
Hi John,

Look into joining SAFE Motorsports....Southwest Florida based group that rents tracks 8 or 9 times each year at Sebring, Moroso or Homestead. Lots of different vehicles compete and inexpensive track time. Just joined myself. www.safemotorsports.com.
Chin is another good group to run with. I ran at Sebring with them today.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 05-06-2007, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Hmmm .. A Cobra on Sanibel is tough duty. What's the top speed on the island? 35? I don't think my car could handle it!

Me, on the other hand, I enjoy Sanibel quite a bit- just bough a 2'nd home there and hope to see you cruising Periwinkle Way sometime soon!

-John
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURK
Hmmm .. A Cobra on Sanibel is tough duty. What's the top speed on the island? 35? I don't think my car could handle it!
I was thinking the same thing when I was there in March. I had rented a Mustang convertible for my three week annual pilgrimage and was thinking several times that the Cobra probably wouldn't fit in very well, especially on my photographic excursions through Ding Darling twice a day !

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

Don't feel bad John. It took me 6 1/2 years to get my Unique built and I didn't discover this site nor uniquecobra's site till 6 months from finishing car. It would have been nice to have monitored both sites from day one.
Walter
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Default cobra on sanibel

It is rewarding to be able to break every speed limit in the entire town without leaving first gear. There are actually a few other rods on the island, but a preponderance of Mercury Grand Marquises prevail. I work in Fort Myers so take it off island regularly. Truth is, the difference between reasonably approximating a 35mph limit and a 55 limit is not that great relative to the car's abilities.
John Churchill
Black Tongue Farm
(behing the Ace)
Superformance #1608
Roush 402R
Sanibel, FL
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     
Default Member Yet????

John,
Have you taken the time to join the DSCC. Once they have you on the membership roll, you will hopefully receive all the info about upcoming events before posted here or elsewhere. I'm surprised that Dan Wulf (our Main Man in your area) hasn't jumped on you for membership yet. HE WILL! If not, there should be something on this forum for membership. (It's been a while since I looked for that info)

In regards to your oil seal leak, you can probably fix it yourself. If not, contact Rob Ginn, (assuming that is who you got the car from) for some advice on where to take it. Maybe your friendly Ford dealer - they love it when a Cobra comes into their shop.

Welcome to the MADHOUSE of the DSCC. Hopefully we can meet up upon my return south from NC in the fall.

TL
Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

By the way, are you aware that the Hurlocks (of AC fame) had / have a house on Sanibel?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 184 Roush 402R/TKO500
Not Ranked     

John,
Welcome to the group.

Give Rick Hunt at Hunt Automotive a call at 481-1978. He is the local Ft Myers expert for Superformance maintenance and installations.

My apologies for not ensuring you were aware of this great website and not a member of DSCC. As others have said, Chin/NASA/Safe run events at all of the major Florida tracks. I run with Safe as you get more track time. The principles for NASA and Safe both live in Cape Coral in our back yard. Safe has Sebring events for May 26, Jul 21, Aug 19, & Sep 22. The down side is the rainy weather for a roadster this time of year.

John, click this link: www.dscc.us and click on join to become a DSCC member.
Larry
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

Does a stock SPF MK III hve to be modified for NASA or SAFE. Ie roll bar height?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Alex, SAFE does not have a problem with roll bar height, just basic tech stuff, no mods necessary. Pay them their money and run till you puke, or in my case, break something.
NASA is a bit more stringent, you will need to run with an instructor till you are signed off for solo. They want to know you before they turn you loose. SAFE you definetly get more track time, but watch for inexperienced Viper and Vette drivers, sometimes their right foot overtakes their brain.
Cheers,
Richard