14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Cobra has been traded in.
Not Ranked     
Default Looking to buy a Backdraft Cobra...

I have been looking to purchase one of the Backdraft Cobras from Suncoast in Sarasota.

Just looking to get some feedback on the dependability of the car.

I have done both shows and autocross in previous cars and I am looking to see if I can find something more dependable in the Backdraft Cobra kit. I do not do anything but cosmetic wrenching myself.

Thank you for any input in advance,
X

My rides past and present
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #212, 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

X,
Love mine! Hard to beat a BDR for the price.

Also check out www.backdraftboys.com lots of good info and talk here as well as CC.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks a bunch.

I will register to those forums as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthus
Just looking to get some feedback on the dependability of the car.
That's a loaded question. "Dependability" will rely primarily on the drivetrain... which is not supplied by Backdraft. The roller itself is better than most, not as good as some. It has it's little bugaboos here & there, but nothing major. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat.

The reliability of the drivetrain will depend on what you put in it. If the dealer is finishing the car for you, the engine/transmission choice & the quality of installation will typically dictate reliability.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up They look good

I looked at them closely at the Reptile Roundup last month and have to say they look like a high quality car. They had a few with late model ford motors that look dependable.

Last edited by Murphy; 12-05-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

Ask "engineer Ed" President of the Deep South Cobra Club. He has been driving the dickens out of his for over 2 years (think he had a FFR for several years before the Backdraft). He does highway driving and a ton of track events and loves the car. They are selling a ton of them and while the "suspension is not theirs" it is BMW M3 suspension which is a 3500 pound car. They are constantly tweaking the car (added a chasis strengthening kit etc) so it certainly appears to be a good value for the $$$$. Rickd
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.

I was recommended to look into this vehicle by my old MINI and BMW tech here in Florida. Part of the appeal is his familiarity with the suspension.

Any recommendations on the engine/drivetrain choices?

Any input on the work from Suncoast Cobras of Sarasota?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Took delivery last April of Backdraft #488. Put 2600 miles on the car (no track). Fit and finish is excellent. Car rides great no bangs or squeaks etc. Appears Backdraft has worked out the problems they were having in the earlier cars ie door fit headers etc. I went with the Roush 402 and a TKO 600 very happy with this set up.
Best of luck finding you car.
Peter
Old 12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 342 Stroker, 400hp
Not Ranked     

We took delivery of Backdraft #251 from Suncoast in September, 2005. Jeff , Jerry and their crew did an excellant build in every detail.They put the first 100 miles on the car and has been trouble free since. Powered it with the Ford Racing engine, 342cc, 400hp. They offer a better selection of engines now, and to build another one, I would add another 50cc and 50 to 100 more hp, not that mine doesn't perfrom well, it's great,but after the first couple 100 miles, I feel like It would be nice to have some more power. Then came the add ons, undercoated the wheel wells for sound deadener and stone chips, added the windshield mirrors, 3M paint chip guard, Fire Extinguisher, and the latest was a heater/defroster. They did a great job with each and thought their pricing was fair.
Yes, we would buy another Backdraft and from Suncoast.

Lau and Pat
Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

If your primary concern is dependability, I would suggest you consider your options carefully before buying any Cobra. There are many posts on here of new Cobra owners expressing concerns over the dependability of their Cobra. They are then blasted by members informing them that "dependability" and "Cobra" are not generally terms that go together.

You will NOT get the same dependability as a factory built car like your mini. Won't happen. Things will come loose. Tighten those things up and something else will come loose. Regular maintenance on a Cobra includes going over every nut and bolt with a wrench. If you don't, some thing will fall off. It will most likely leak from some where. If it doesn't leak when it's delivered, it will start. Regular maintenance on a BDR includes bleeding the clutch system at least every 6 months. If you don't, parts will fail.

If you even start a Cobra up, you will stink like exhaust. Fact of life. Deal with it. In the summer in Florida it's hot as hell and driving a Cobra is, well, hot as hell. The wind will beat your ears so hard they will ring for hours after the drive. If it rains, you'll get wet. A soft top is like pitching a tent on top of the car. Even if you have a soft top, if it rains you'll get wet.

If you buy a Cobra expecting the same dependability or dealer service as a Mini or BMW, you'll be disappointed.

I'm on my 3rd Cobra. I love them. The sound is beautiful music to me. The raw power is intoxicating. The simplicity of a car with no power this or automatic that is just what I want. My wife and I wear Eau De Cobra perfume with a smile after a drive. The group of people that we have met through the Cobra club are the best. I expect to own a Cobra for the rest of my life.

Happy hunting.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL

MINI and Mini are not the same. My 1976 Mini has been a pain at every turn.

She has no AC and thus is HOT. She was running rich with the original motor so she smelled of gas. Now she has no cat so she still smells of gas and leaves sut on the back end. I have to wax her to clean it. In the rain Minis are NOTORIOUS for leaking, this I take less issue with, if it's going to rain that bad I'll be in my Jeep. I expect that if I keep ontop of a car that it will work for a decent amount of time. With the old Lucas electric in my Mini there was no telling when she was going to quit. Now though rewired and having an engine swap, I have had other issues with the swap that I am still working to fix before I sell her. Don't confuse me for a BMW MINI owner that wants a modern perfect car (BTW the 2007 MINIs are breaking down horribly), I just want to know that in general, I can expect it to work most of the time, provided i do not torture it. As for wind in my ears, nearing 95 with the Mini my ears were fine, I was more worried about the car shaking from traveling at a speed it was not exactly intended to drive at, further with my new motor (155.4 HP at the wheel) she has a torque steer from hell so I am prepared not to deal with whatever the car can throw my way.

Now all that said, I see 2 saying that they had no big issue and one that seems to think me a driver wanting a factory perfect car. I guess I will refine my question. If I buy one of these from Suncoast, am I likely to be satisfied with a generally dependable vehicle? Will I, with some maintenance work, have a vehicle that will give me few or no "surprises" with just not working when I want it to?

Last edited by Xanthus; 12-05-2007 at 08:05 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 559. 410 Stroker 72 block AFR205 Heads, Solid roller lifters, Comp Cams XR286, Eagle 4" stroke internally balanced with chevy journals, Oliver rods, Probe Forged pistons, Mighty Demon, Super Victor, MSD Digital 6.....
Not Ranked     

I am on my second personal BDR, I owned #198 and now #559. Many minor improvements between the two which has left the later as a much smoother, tighter ride. I would highly recommed a BDR to anyone looking for a Cobra.

If you want reliabilty and lower maintanance I would recommend a FI motor or one of the newer modular motors (also FI). Want simplicity and easier and more traditional go with one of the windsow based motors, easy to extract 500hp and still be reliable.

Don't cut corners in the drive train and you will be happy. That being said, one of the best motors I ever had which was literally indestructible (and I tried) was a replacement never ran 351W motor I once bought from e-bay ($2500 all forged w/ twisted wedge heads) to replace a professiobnally built motor that let go....

If you are going to be hard on the motor, make sure your have forged pistons and quality rods.
TKO 600 .82 OD (Road Race)
HP= Enough!!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am looking at one right now at Suncoast that has a Supercharged Ford Racing 302cid motor.

Any input on this?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Didn't mean to offend. I don't presume to know what you are looking for. Just giving you and those that come after you both sides of the monster.

It sounds like you feel you and a Cobra will get along fine.

I would suggest a 351 based engine. These offer great power and resale value. They fit into the engine compartment easily. The late-model cammer crate motors are tight. As far as FI vs carb, I've been running a carb. I've had the car for 3 years and haven't had any issues related to the car being carburated. It's pretty much a personal taste thing as to what you want to see when you lift up the hood.

Whatever BDR you choose, ,make sure to test drive it on the interstate at speed. These things have a tendency to shimmy. If you get one that does, it may do it forever. Don't accept the car until it's fixed completely.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Understood, I will ask for a drive with one of them in the car at highway speed before final payment.

Thanks for the advice.

Any opinions based on the motor they have in the one I am looking at? The supercharger seems well put together.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have agreed to have a 70MPH+ test drive on completion before final payment is made.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

Xanthus. I had a Unique FIA cobra with a shimmy, and it was bad tires. Switched to Yokohama Avids (really good tire - that has been discontinued in the past couple of months), and the shimmy disappeared. But Gator is right, make sure it's fixed - tires replaced if that IS the issue, so you know you are not inheriting a problem. Heat? What heat? I drive mine (can't wait to get my new one - I've been without a cobra for 11 months waiting for the build) every week. Rick in Miami
Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I was told by my dealer (Vintage Motor Sports) that they do a four wheel tire alignment after all components are installed. 2,600 Miles later no shimmy's or shakes. I can take my hands off the wheel while cruising on the highway at 80+ mph and car runs true just like I'm in my daily driver.
I do believe anyone can inherent a problem car but if properly gone through by the dealer it is allot more unlikely.
Peter
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #298, 302 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I am very happy with my BDR. I went to Boyton Beach and did a test drive in town and on the highway. It had a slight shake in the steering that I talked to them about. They replaced the front tires and did an alingment When I got the car it drove really nice at highway speeds no vibration at all. I have not had any problems at all. Notmal maintenance. I spend lot more time with maintenance on my Harley I treat it like my bike and check things out before a drive, brake lights, tire pressure stuff like that .
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Many thanks.

I was sold on a beautiful silver/grey one and ought to take delivery late into next week.

I look forward to meeting some of you all in person at future shows/races/events.