21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gardner Douglas 427 Euro
Not Ranked     
Default Registering European Cobra in FL

I brought my Gardner Douglas GD Euro in from Ireland last summer. I have spent a little time re-assembling it and am looking to get it titled/registered this coming week.

Has anyone attempted something similar?

I am being told that sales tax will be payable on the original purchase price. I bought the kit back in the UK in 2002, is there no allowance for depreciation?

I am also being asked for a 'certificate of origin'(?) which the manufacturer has never heard of. I don't know if this will cause a problem. The car was never titled in the UK.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Paul,
When you have some time, drop in to the couthouse/DMV on PGA. Those folks have always treated me well. Explain what you have, and they'll tell you what you need. Typically it is an MSO, insurance, and a sales invoice. Being an international vehicle, it may be different, no inspections or road worthiness checks at all.
Good luck, I'd love to see the car some day.
Cheers,
Richard Bailey
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Richard, much appreciated. I think the whole MSO is a predominantly US thing as I haven't come across it before in Europe. I will call the company that makes the car, Gardner Douglas (www.gdcars.com) to see if they can help but I don't think it is something they have.

I am also hoping that some level of depreciation comes into effect as being 7 years old the parts aren't worth ANYWHERE near what they were when new.

Paul
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Success! Titled and registered yesterday at the VLO on PGA Blvd in Palm Beach Gardens.

They were VERY helpful and as a result my GD is now sporting its new license plate. I will be bringing it to the British car show here in Jupiter on April 11th. I am sure the whole RHD aspect will raise a few eyebrows.

Anyone needing pointers on the registration process feel free to shout although I realize my situation was a little 'unusual'. ;-)

Paul
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Congrats Paul, see you in April. That show is 5 mins walking distance from my house.
Richard
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard you must be my next door neighbor then as I live in Jupiter Farms, about 5 mins from it!!

Paul