14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2001, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Ford 464 C.I.D. 535 H.P.
Not Ranked     
Default 2002 Natipnal Meeting of DSCC?

Hey people, we have tentatively set Atlanta, GA as a possible spot for the 2002 meeting and elections of officers. As your President, it is near and dear to my heart to want this to happen!
We need to have some new blood next year for leadership. Has anyone done any research on this meeting in Atlanta? I know we have several members around the area.

We need to make plans now so people can make thewir plans. As our first meeting was in March, we should not do the next one any later than April of 2002.

If anyone has volunteered I need to hear it.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

I was hopeing Brian Hinson ( Bandit) and fellow volunteer, John Woerheide were working on this project for us. I resently sent both gentlemen an email to find out if the date of April 5-6-7,2002 was going to be offical for our meeting in Atlanta. I never got any response from Bandit, and I know he is around because he has been posting about running his car at John's big race during July 4th weekend. I would also like to know how things are going in Atlanta because I can't do anything for the club living 700 miles away.

Dan

Gentlemen we need a response!
Old 07-16-2001, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Bandit Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit
Not Ranked     

Sorry guys... I'm looking into signing up some hotels, and trying to figure out where to host this deal at.

It seems pretty clear that most people aren't interested in a track event, so I'm trying to figure out some good cruise routes including stops. Also, I hope to find a good location for a show and shine too. Just some place to set up camp, prop the hoods, and let the BS flow.

Take care. I'm looking into it.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:13 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Please let me know how I can help. I live in SC now, but I lived in GA for 29 years, so I may be of some assistance. Just delegate somethin' to me.

You might want to consider a nice location just outside Atlanta, preferrably to the north (like Marietta area, for example). If you've never driven your car (or pulled your trailer) through Atlanta traffic before, it can be a harrowing experience. Just my 2 cents.

You can count on me being there.

Keith "looking for a way to help" McFarland
Old 07-16-2001, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bandit,
Can our group confirm at least the dates of April 5-6-7,2002? I would like to get that information to our web master, so our members can move on planing on coming to our second event. Most people are not interested in racing, but we have many members that would be interested in Xcrossing, Circle track, or Drag Racing. Just remember most will be bringing their families and you will have to keep the ladies entertained.

Keith your on, and yes I think Atlanta's traffic sucks. If you can help we need you.

VP Dan
Old 07-16-2001, 07:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Some input

I offer my help as well since I live north of Atlanta. I do not know the area as well as Keith, since I have lived here less than a year, but I have covered a lot of ground in the time I have been here.

Have you contacted Cobra Restorers or Southern Automotive as well to see if they would be interested in hosting anything like a car show? C.R. is north of Atlanta with parking , Southern Automotive's on the southside of the city. The northern area makes for better cruising since it is more hilly/mountainy/curvy.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I Think We Have a Committee!

Brian, Keith and ToyCollector, how about all of you forming the committee to plan this for us? I think it may be a good idea about asking both C.R. and Southern Automotive to help. You can get to Southern Automotive without going to Atlanta I know. They have a large parking lot and a showroom indoors w/AC. Bill may know about local drag races as well?

I will be at Southern Automotive in later part of August to get my new engine installed. Probably be there for two days and nights. We could meet and discuss this then if you want. I'll post the dates when they are firm.

Can you guys form up and please get a date confirmed by August 15th for our April 2002 meeting? A dinner, a poker rally, an optional drag race night, and a meet for a show would be great, plus or minus whatever you can think up.

Jerry

Last edited by jerry rowley; 07-16-2001 at 08:07 AM..
Old 07-16-2001, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sure thing

Brian and Keith, I am game. Keith, you and I are bouncing back daily anyway via email. I will be on the phone with Bill from Southern Automotive today so I will guage his interest and let you know what he says. Brian, where are you in Atlanta? Maybe next time Keith is down here we can get together and start getting this finalized.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Things are moving

ToyCollector,

Does this mean you would like to be a member of the DSCC? I will still need the information I requested to put you on our roster. I think the longer people have to plan this as a vacation the more we will have at our next meeting. I think we could out do the Spring Fling this last June.

VP Dan
Old 07-16-2001, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bill Parham says yes!

ToyCollector, I just talked to Bill Parham and he said yes! We can schedule a car show in his parking lot for Saturday and he will have the showroom & plant open for an Open House. he will provide refreshments during the open house too. he also said he could layout a good course on a map for a 50 mile poker rally to run on Friday. There are some good hotels within three miles of his shop, including a Holiday Inn which has a restaurant facility (may due for a Saturday night banquet/meeting).

If you guys can work out a date in either late March or Early April with him, I;ll be there in August and we can discuss plans and rally routes. Next Monday we will set a datew for my visit in August.

Jerry
Old 07-16-2001, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry,

Nice going I knew there was a reason we made you the president of our club. You know, everytime we take out the Cobras it might rain(with no top). Keep this thing rolling and I will see everyone in Atlanta.

Dan
Old 07-16-2001, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I filled it out

Dan,

I filled out the form you sent the link to. Did it not go through?

Last edited by ToyCollector; 07-16-2001 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-16-2001, 11:11 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ToyCollector (and everyone else),

When I close my eyes, I see a big convoy of Cobras slowly meandering through north-Georgia back roads on Sunday morning, making their way to the Pickens County Airport in Jasper, GA. It could be a fly-in/drive-in event. We can call it the "Prop-Rod Pic-Nic." Get it? Prop-Rod? .

There's plenty of parking on the nice green grass for all the cars and planes alike. And those in the forum who happen to own private planes (and are too far away to drive their cars) could still join everyone at the fly-in on Sunday. My father keeps a couple of planes at the airport and should certainly be able to spread the word to all his flyin' buddies to show up.

My step-mother writes a coulmn for "The Southern Aviator" magazine and can give the Prop-Rod Pic-Nic some very good publicity to ensure that plenty of beautiful planes show up. Airplane rides could probably be arranged as well!

I will be happy to contact the local newspapers (all two of them) to cover the event.

And before you ask... no, I'm afraid we can't use the runway as a makeshift drag-strip.

I have PLENTY of contacts for the airport, so arranging the use of their facilities should be a piece of cake for me. My dad and step-mom have hosted LARGE fly-ins before (100+ planes), so they have a list of contacts for arranging Port-O-Johns (highest priority), food (next-highest priority), etc.

And the beautiful mountains are a short drive from there!

Please let me know if this would be of interest to you guys.

Keith
Old 07-16-2001, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith, I also thought of the airport angle. I talked to Bill today (as did Jerry) and he is fired up to host this for a Saturday at his place. There are lots of good fairly priced hotels there, lot's of dining within the area. Jerry was thinking of a combo business meeting/dinner for one night (Friday or Saturday?) at the hotel people would stay at. Bill has offered his place, he offered to cater food for Saturday lunch and give tours of the machine shop, etc. Maybe arrive in AM for carshow at his place, stay through lunch, then depart early PM for a 50 mile or so country drive/Poker Run. Your idea could work if a second day is on the menu as well, or we could have Jerry poll the DSCC membership for input. Seeing as how membership may predominately be in FLA, GA, and AL, the south side of the city may be an easier congregation point since the FLA contingent is well represented on the DSCC board. I will call you to discuss, and I could set up a dial-in con call for anyone else interested.

-Mike
Old 07-16-2001, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My vote is for a get together at Southern Automotive. Dan, didn't you get my e-mails ?
J.W.
Old 07-16-2001, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I will have to check with Ruble to see if he got your information on joining our group.

John,

I thought I answered your one email that I got from you, but I do have those senior moments.

Hell, I'm just glad to see we are moving forward on our next get together, because I want to meet all of you in person and maybe see some more Cobras. I think you guys can put together a great weekend for a bunch of Cobra Nuts.

Dan
Old 07-16-2001, 12:44 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Toy,

That's true, most of the members are from Florida. So the south side of Atlanta may work the best. Either way is easy for me. I got your email. Call me this evening and we can toss around some ideas.

Also, feel free to give my cell number to others from this forum. Or any of you guys can e-mail me and I'll send you my number.

Keith
Old 07-16-2001, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Bandit Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit
Not Ranked     

excelguru & toycollector - I'll send you an email tonight when I get home from work. I think the airport idea is great.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates S/C, Ford 460
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I'm in !

I'll go with the masses. Either an airport meet
or Southern Automotive is fine with me. On
second thought, I'd better stay the heck away
from Southern...I might end up leaving them
with my Cobra, AND a blank check, while I
ride the Greyhound bus back to Florida!
Old 07-16-2001, 07:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2681K, 302 w/goodies
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Bad timing

Just got my renewal notice for the Talladega Winston Cup race. The dates are April 6 and 7. Don't know how many folks this effects in regards to our 2002 national meeting. I am going to have to think about it since this would be my 20th race at Talladega.