Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Default Details..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA-ERA View Post
I like it personally! Plus, it looks like you could squeeze another gallon of gas in that fill neck!! Do you have any pics on how it's mounted?? Pretty cool stuff.
Sure. Here are some details. Now keep in mind that I had about two weeks worth of evenings to rush-fit this to the car so that I could make the timing for my Dragon trip, so some of the solutions I chose were time conscious, but they proved to be very effective, none-the-less.

Here is the card board patterns I made that were used to fab the brackets securing the HT at the rear of the door. Also pictured is the “T-bolt” used fabricated from some sheet steel and M6 bolts with the heads cut off.

Here is a picture of the rear mounting bracket and the doubler plate used on the outside flange of the top.

Here is the same area, only showing from the inside. Again, these brackets were made from the cardboard patterns in the first picture. For the sake of time, I used some spacers and washers bought at Lowes to securely fasten the bracket to the Soft Top bow furrel on the car.

Here is a shot of the area at the top of the windscreen. The “T-bolts” slide in the windscreen frame channel and pass through the top in this area. I’m using some M6 thread knobs purchased through McMaster-Carr. It works great.

This is a shot of the fuel filler relocation from the inside. I had a local pipe bender make the pipe and used some fuel filler hose from a ’67 mustang with some simple screw-type band clamps. This solution works fine, but I will likely upgrade this area over the Winter to something more robust yet easily reversible for when I want to remove the HT.

This is a shot of the outside of the Fuel Filler relocation area.

This is the other project that lies ahead for the Winter months – Splitting and re-hinging the trunk lid. I’ll detail this later on once I undertake that project.

If anyone needs any more detail, just contact me.

- Allen.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.B.C View Post
How about Lemans top for the ERA 427 cars??? Go on Mr Bruce you know you can....
I am working on one for the FiA, so it should fit the Slab also, as for the 427 , yep ,can do that one too, but, I need your car here to see if it fits. Price?, no idea yet, but less than $2500
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Next top avaliable will have the opening rear hatch, so you don't have to cut the trunk lid, and the top will fit all the ErA's ,slab, FiA and 427
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Fullchat289 & Mr Bruce, Nice work all the way around! Looks awesome! You're givin' me the bug....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Sure. Here are some details. Now keep in mind that I had about two weeks worth of evenings to rush-fit this to the car so that I could make the timing for my Dragon trip, so some of the solutions I chose were time conscious, but they proved to be very effective, none-the-less.

Here is the card board patterns I made that were used to fab the brackets securing the HT at the rear of the door. Also pictured is the “T-bolt” used fabricated from some sheet steel and M6 bolts with the heads cut off.

Here is a picture of the rear mounting bracket and the doubler plate used on the outside flange of the top.

Here is the same area, only showing from the inside. Again, these brackets were made from the cardboard patterns in the first picture. For the sake of time, I used some spacers and washers bought at Lowes to securely fasten the bracket to the Soft Top bow furrel on the car.

Here is a shot of the area at the top of the windscreen. The “T-bolts” slide in the windscreen frame channel and pass through the top in this area. I’m using some M6 thread knobs purchased through McMaster-Carr. It works great.

This is a shot of the fuel filler relocation from the inside. I had a local pipe bender make the pipe and used some fuel filler hose from a ’67 mustang with some simple screw-type band clamps. This solution works fine, but I will likely upgrade this area over the Winter to something more robust yet easily reversible for when I want to remove the HT.

This is a shot of the outside of the Fuel Filler relocation area.

This is the other project that lies ahead for the Winter months – Splitting and re-hinging the trunk lid. I’ll detail this later on once I undertake that project.

If anyone needs any more detail, just contact me.

- Allen.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Allen, how was this for heat inside the car? Understand it's getting cooler up there now but do you think it's going to be a bear in the summer?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Jim:

I think there's only been one 90 degree day here in the NE since I've had the top. It's much better than having the sun beating down on you and with no side curtains installed along with the vent holes in the rear screen, it's plenty ventilated. Another thing for you to consider is you may want to add the foot box ventalition like the ERA's have that bring fresh air in from the front opening in the body as with the original cars. Also, be sure to add dynomat-type material on the trans tunnel and floors...but you probably knew that aready being the seasoned racer/builder that you are....

- Allen.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my FIA Cobra to MrMustang
Not Ranked     

YES YES! LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS TRULY GOING TO HAPPEN AND i'LL START SAVING

www.sportscarguyspeaks.com
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

???????????, 5 pages of posts, it has already happened, with pichers to prove it, one buyer, Allen B.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my FIA Cobra to MrMustang
Not Ranked     

yahoo!!!! I'll check it out. (to quick with my post_ sorry, reading clubcobra from my phone at McDonalds).

www.sportscarguyspeaks.com
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mr Bruce. Any pictures of the Dragonsnake top. Will it fit either Kirkham and Era 427 style cars?

Cheers
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bruce, any idea if your top will fit an Aurora? I know original 289 side screens must be modified to fit. Would the lifting hatch allow access for fueling, as the cap is located in middle of rear cowling?

Olmoose, finally a new name, for the same old guy.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Love your work Brucy.
I mean Mr Brucy.

Fancy comin' down to do a fitting here?