Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     
Default Alternator mounting position for a FIA

It is time for me to start gathering pieces for engine installation. I noticed on the FIA cars the alternator is mounted up high and inverted as compared to a Mustang. Why is this? The manual says an alternator adjusting bracket is included in the kit. I did not receive one. Looks easy enough to fabricate, just need to know where to mount the alternator.

Last edited by wolf k; 03-19-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure were the FIAs alternator was mounted but I bought a mount from Kirkhams that was simple and looked good. A couple of years ago they were about $50.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

I did get the alternator bracket from ERA. I don't remember if it was an option or included. I would call Bob. The biggest issue I had when putting the alternator on was lining up the pulleys so they are square. I ended up with a March setup.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default March system.....

This is how we located the alternator in our FIA. Used March system pulleys, brackets, and spacers. The spacers may need adjustments with the heights due to the many combinations water pump housings and pulleys.

Bill
Old 03-18-2011, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Herewith my usual response to issues like this:

1. e-mail Bob and then,
2. call ERA and ask to speak to (in descending order... pun intended):
Doug
Rob
LJ
Peter
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was going to fabricate my own brackets or go the march route anyway, just wanted to know why the FIA's alternator is mounted high, does not look to be any interference when mounted in the normal lower position as in Wbulk's photo.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

If you mount the alternator low, I doubt whether it will clear the upper control arm pivot shaft.
I've got to train Peter better to pack the adjusting bracket in all the small-block kits, since he seems to forget it about half the time. Probably because it's optional with the 427. (The difference is that the small-block bracket has no Ford equivalent, while the FE bracket does.)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
I was going to fabricate my own brackets or go the march route anyway, just wanted to know why the FIA's alternator is mounted high, does not look to be any interference when mounted in the normal lower position as in Wbulk's photo.
The alternator will not fit in the low position in an ERA 289FIA. I managed to get it in there after the engine was in the car, but there was NO room to tighten the belt. My engine package had a beautiful set of billet brackets for the low position, but they are on the bench now. ERA cheerfully provided the bracket referenced in the build manual after a phonecall.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is what I ended up with. Bottom bracket is factory Ford, upper brace is home fabricated.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Hey Wolf,
I just went and looked at mine and it's way different I did mine the opposite way. I used a heim joint on the bottom with a through bolt to the head (spacers). Then on the top I used a "lower" style Ford bracket off a Mustang as to adjust the run out on the top. I took a picture but can't seem to load it. If you pm your email address I'll shoot it to ya quick. The problem arises at the lower left of the alternator. My set up comes with in a 1/2 inch of the cross support from the passenger foot box. Yours might work as it might put it up and over but my set up is A LOT more compact and it's tight! Maybe Bob will weigh in here too but it may or may not work. My alternator almost touches the thermostat housing. You might have to change the hose configuration coming out of the water pump going to the expansion tank. Sorry! Nice work though! Regards, Matt
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 7030 HP 289
Not Ranked     

Wolf
I can provide you with a concourse correct (with original logo) alternator mounting bracket (casting) and the proper adjusting arm for $375.00 + shipping. Please look at my "items for sale" listing so that you understand what I am talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by tnewland; 04-05-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Top bar is normally used on the bottom of 1966 Mustang.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 7030 HP 289
Not Ranked     

Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies
FIA-ERA; With your taller deck 351 you were able to clear the A arm pivot. I am running a 302 and like others said, the alternator will not clear the A arm pivot if mounted in the lower position. I used the same mounting points as Rick Parkers photo, just using a different upper brace.

tnewland; Very nice, however, with this car, I am not after authenticity. With the adjustable heim joints, it sure makes tensioning the belt easier.