Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     
Default Unsanctioned ERA Project

I was sitting down in the sanctum sanctorum the other evening... contemplating what to do next. The ERA Slabside is long finished (and has been expropriated by my wife, Suzanne, for her exclusive use) my sons' #1313 circa 1967 Meyers Manx Dune Buggy is off to have a real roll cage installed and, as a result, there was a vacant space (temporarily) in the "shed."

Now I have always admired the sports racing cars from the 1955-60 period and have long wanted to do a V12 project. Jaguar, Aston Martin, Scarab, Maserati and Ferrari front engined roadster designs were, in my opinion, some of the most gorgeous automotive "art" ever produced. I've also been inspired by the many one-off sports car "specials" of the period.

One thing has led to another and I have three V12 Jaguar motors currently pushed against the back wall. Once you strip away all of the superfluous belts, hoses, pumps and fuel injection piping, they really are beautiful motors. The block is ribbed aluminum which, I understand, was originally designed, in part, to go to LeMans in the XK13.

The next step was the call to New Britain. Some recent visitors to ERA may have noticed the big block chassis up on the roof of the container next to the welding shop "normalizing". It turns out that a customer had purchased an ERA 427SC kit some twenty five years ago and never finished it. After two and a half plus decades, he called Peter and asked if he could bring it back and have them finish it. Over the years there have been numerous minor changes to the ERA chassis to accommodate different rack and pinion, brakes, transmission and rear cage to the point that a decision was made to do a new chassis for the customer. Thus the "orphan" chassis on the roof just begging for a foster home....

After the usual arduous negotiations with ERA management involving innumerable, one pound hamburgers and "OK, bring the fries, I'll just count them," lunches (and a lot of begging and pleading) the chassis was off to Adam's (ERA's ace welder and fabricator) for a little stretching (to 96") and "adjustment." The chassis is now down in the shed behind the house, motor and transmission mounted, awaiting suspension, brakes and steering. My thought was to get the mechanical, drive train and suspension squared away before tackling the body, utilizing as much of the time tested ERA engineering as is possible.

The body buck/mold will be the big challenge, but as my mini Mediterranean friend in New Britain says; "Don't worry if one side doesn't match the other, you can only see one side at a time."

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-21-2011 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Jim,

You are a sick, sick, sick man with far too much free time on his hands .

Can't wait to see the project as the body comes together.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Now this is a Project

Who else would just happen to have (3) V12 Jag motors laying around are you going to go with fuel injection or is there a way to adapt carburetors ... maybe six Webers ?

Between you and the Wizards of New Britain anything is possible ... Keep us posted !

- Tim
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Awesome! Can't wait to see this one unfold.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

If you are like me, you've been drawing pictures of your dream car since you were three years old... It is only taken me six decades (plus) to get to this point. ...and I will acknowledge that Motormania is a sickness that can be treated but never cured.

If you click on the picture of the chassis you will see the Weber 40IDFs stacked up like cordwood on the workbench behind the chassis.

Jim
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim,

What do you get when you cross a Jaguar with an ERA Cobra....an interesting project!

Can't wait to see more details!

Ray
Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is the guy for Jaguar V12 tuning parts, stroker crank, heads in fact anything and everything. He's done it got it and knows how to do it . www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk
Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
If you are like me, you've been drawing pictures of your dream car since you were three years old... It is only taken me six decades (plus) to get to this point. ...and I will acknowledge that Motormania is a sickness that can be treated but never cured.

If you click on the picture of the chassis you will see the Weber 40IDFs stacked up like cordwood on the workbench behind the chassis.

Jim

I think a lot of us here suffer from the same affliction of Motormania, you have it bad ... but the good doctors in New Britain will take good care of you

The Webers will make one impressive setup that will work as good as it looks.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Jim,
The XJ13 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I saw one close up at the Classic Adelaide a few years ago and remembered the details from an old English car magazine I had at home. It's arguably the car that best displays its engine....yes? What a wonderful project! I look forward to the progress.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Very Cool to say the least.....
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

3 v12 jag engines just lying around? Were you planing to make a coffee table and 2 matching end tables?

Sounds like a great project, keep us posted!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Jim, Why don't you give Mr. Bruce a crack at the body?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frankly, the V12s were just so much scrap that came as a result of the never ending search for Jag-Salisbury posi rears. I have a number of friends and cousins that know I am always on the lookout for old Jaguars as potential parts donors. After pulling the rears, they sat there just begging to be saved. So, I figure, one motor to set up the chassis, one to rebuild and an extra just in case. After all motors are like underwear, you may need to change them every now and then…

The XK13 is a beautiful car. There is an excellant reproduction XK13 (from Australia, I think) up at Nick Soprano's Motor Classic in Bedford Hills. (See:http://www.motorclassiccorp.com/CarDetail.cfm?ID=166) It is, of course, mid engined, while I seek to do an earlier style "mid-front" engine roadster.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-21-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 719, 302 5speed
Not Ranked     

What a fun project! I'll enjoy following along.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

There is a guy not far from me who is doing these sort of cars/bodies in alloy.. www.rodtempero.com.... as did his father before him.

Plus a tidbit re the Jag V12... note the rod and main bearing dias are the same as 351w Ford, could save you a few $$$ if you need a set of Scat rods etc @ power up time

I like the idea though a nice glass body on the ERA chassis you already have, come to think of it I have a spare chassis myself....someone stop me ...please!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Now if I could just find as good an idea for that brand new 300 horse Lotus Turbo motor sitting in the corner of my shop with only 10 bench test hours on it. Anybody got a Renault gearbox laying around?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... while I seek to do an earlier style "mid-front" engine roadster. Jim

So what'll it be Jim, ...sleek, mid-front engine, Jag powered, late 50s vintage... something sort of like this?
Attached Images

Last edited by decooney; 03-21-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RedEsprit:

Early on I owned a couple of Lotus Europas (a Renault Series 1, which I think is the prettier shape, and a Player Special Twin Cam).

What say a Lotus 47 tube chassis special?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.beadsmoore/roadtrip/

Jim

PS: The Series 1 and the 47 nose was lower. They had to jack up the front of the car (as in the Player) to comply with headlight height laws and they cut down the rear "sail panels" for better vision out the back. Neither step an improvement esthetically in my opinion.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-22-2011 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Frankly, the V12s were just so much scrap that came as a result of the never ending search for Jag-Salisbury posi rears. I have a number of friends and cousins that know I am always on the lookout for old Jaguars as potential parts donors. After pulling the rears, they sat there just begging to be saved. So, I figure, one motor to set up the chassis, one to rebuild and an extra just in case. After all motors are like underwear, you may need to change them every now and then…

The XK13 is a beautiful car. There is an excellant reproduction XK13 (from Australia, I think) up at Nick Soprano's Motor Classic in Bedford Hills. (See:http://www.motorclassiccorp.com/CarDetail.cfm?ID=166) It is, of course, mid engined, while I seek to do an earlier style "mid-front" engine roadster.

Jim
Jim - what about an XJ13-esque (but long) nose blended with a D-type/E-type influenced short rear on the ERA 427 chassis?
Cheers,
Glen