Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Mosley View Post
Patrickt, sold my other car as a roller so there is a very nice 550hp FE engine sitting in my garage that will be cleaned up and put into use if necessary
Excellent. You remember that TV commercial back in the 70s where the American Indian had the tear coming out of his eye? Well, he was probably looking at a small block in a 427 car when they filmed it.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very good patrickt, all I know is this guy has a 427 SBF in his cobra ...
Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Nobody commented on the new seats (the old ones were fiberglass buckets). ERA developed these new seats a few years ago, and as luck would have it, the new seats weren't available when I picked up my car (718). Peter had said he'll have seats ready for me when I'm ready for them, so about a year after I took delivery of the car, a new set of seats were there for me, and I'm just so pleased that I waited for these seats rather than the old ones. They are so comfortable that after several hours in the car you still feel quite good. You'd have to ask Bob when they became standard, but it wasn't that long ago.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra 427 so, Holman Moody dual 4v
Neutral     
Question ERA Chassis Changes

Re: 350 Front X member between front suspension towers changed from square to round tubing

I have always wondered about the ERA Chassis #350 documentation of the change in the front cross member between the shock towers from square to round tube. I own ERA 297 and it has round tubes at the cross members.

Maybe this is a question for Bob....how about it Bob?

"if they drove 427 Cobras in hell....everyone would be dying to get in."
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Mosley View Post
I will say that the amount of advancement in fiberglass tech given how these things are made and the application would not matter to me. If the body has held up this long and not fallen apart or become riddled with stress cracks, I'm pretty sure it will hold up.
You mean you're ignoring grain orientation, kevlar and ISO Standards as the small block/materials genius has informed us all??
Glad to see that you have much more experience with Cobras and FE's than one of those that is attempting to educate you with 'authoritative' web knowledge but obviously, no ERA.
Your posts prove that you have clear understanding of the selection process and I know you'll choose and build a first-rate car. I did.
Just don't fall into that 'money pit' trap that I just found out I was a victim of-naive me...
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas, you're a jackass
Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Chas, you're a jackass
Yes, but he's our jackass, and we still love him.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrickt, I'm good with that.

Hey jackass, no hard feelings eh?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default If Chas was Awake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
patrickt, I'm good with that.

Hey jackass, no hard feelings eh?
Hmmm, considering it's a holiday weekend, they might have wheeled Ol' Chas in early from the sun and put him to bed. If he was awake though I'm sure he'd say that he could kick your ass.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm resurecting this thread. I have a specific question about the 731 and later cars and what specific increases in size the footboxes have grown from the earlier cars. I sat in an earlier car last night and felt the pedal spacing for my left foot was very tight. How much wider are the newer cars down there in that area and where has the width grown (left/clutch side or right throttle side)?

Thank you!
Troy
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A pic...

Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I had 178 and now 755. Foot box room is much wider. I could not drive 178 with my hiking boots on; 755 no problem.

John
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A pic...

Who do I have to sleep with to get one of those "foot-rest-stops" next to the clutch?

I like it...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

"Who do I have to sleep with to get one of those "foot-rest-stops" next to the clutch?"

Sleep with ? Ah, Peter?

And the price of that little foot rest-y thing? You have to buy the rest of the car to get it.

(Frankly, it is very simple sheet aluminium with four bends in it and a couple of rubber grommets. If you look carefully in the picture you should see how the bends go... more or less.)

Jim

PS: Here is a view of a foot rest that I happened to have on the shelf... (This, the three bend early version from ERA#75 vs the 4 bend model seen in the footbox picture above.) ...I only had to buy a couple of ERAs to get it.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 12-12-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I had 178 and now 755. Foot box room is much wider. I could not drive 178 with my hiking boots on; 755 no problem.

John
Thanks John,
I found this diagram on the ERA site:

So if measured across the face area of the pedals (not the dead pedal) a newer ERA should be 14.4" across with carpet. I had my buddy go back and measure his older car this way and he came up with 13.75. Less than 1" of difference doesn't seem significant. What gives...

Thanks for the pic patrickt, but that doesn't really help much since the measurement is to far forward and the tape housing is in the way to know the length there (:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The footbox is tapered quite strongly toward the front, so pedal height makes a big difference in the width. The further forward the pedals, the narrower the footbox. There's no such thing as a universal width. The car that yielded the 14"+ measurement must have had the pedals much closer to the seat.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Thanks for the pic patrickt, but that doesn't really help much since the measurement is to far forward and the tape housing is in the way to know the length there (:
Sorry. The tape housing is exactly three inches. So you can see on my car the total distance is just under fourteen and a half inches.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a zoom in on the original pic. I'm going to say that it's just a hair under 14 and a quarter inch. Now I have 12EEE feet, and have no problem with the pedals. My left foot did go to sleep on a long drive this past summer... and I mean it was dead to the world, couldn't feel nuthin'. But that's a rarity.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

"My left foot did go to sleep on a long drive this past summer... and I mean it was dead to the world, couldn't feel nuthin'"

I find that a foot rest/dead pedal is an absolute must. For those with "gunboat" feet, even a little narrow footrest on the left side of the foot box, that only catches the edge of the sole of your shoe would be better than nothing.

As an aside, my wife and I have found that some support (either a cushion or small bag) placed under our thighs on the floor in front of the seat in our ERA289 helps keep things from going numb on those long back country drives... and Lord knows, at my age, I don't need anything else going "numb."

Jim
66gtk likes this.