Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Engine noise

I'm driving home from work and over the beautiful music of the sidepipes I hear a clattering noise coming from the engine. Get home, listen, sounds like perhaps valve train noise. Engine vitals are good. Oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, no change in the idle. From what I've read on the forum, most side oiler engines are solid lifters. I've put 700 miles on since I bought the car and it has 10,900 total. It sounds like more than one valve would need to be out for all the noise its making, but have not had a solid lifter engine before. What are the odds of multiple valves going out of adjustement at once? Have not had a chance to check under the valve covers yet. Funny how work gets in the way of really important stuff. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobradad View Post
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Our engines make a lot of noise to begin with, so something new can be deceptive. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these at the local auto parts store. You will be shocked at how it will help you isolate the location of the new noise over that of the usual "loudness" of the engine.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Well the good news is if one needs adjusting they all get done. A solid tappet engine as you know has lash or say 0.024" clearance between the rocker and the valve tip/lash cap measured hot. Your cam card will tell you the exact desired lash.

At 11K miles they could have just gotten noisy enough that you just noticed them. If you are not comfortable doing this alone for the first time in a few years it might be worth a helping hand from a gear-head buddy.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know your original post sounded like you weren't 100% sure whether you had a hydraulic or mechanical cam in your engine. My audio link in my signature has the hi-def microphone right over the engine at the tail end of the idling audio snippet. You can hear the "sewing machine" sound of my solid flat tappet and it will give a little insight in to how they normally sound. If you pull your valve covers and there is no lash on any of your rockers then it's probably not a mechanical cam.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
...at the tale end of....
"TAIL END" -what a sad tale for a counselor....
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
"TAIL END" -what a sad tale for a counselor....
Yes, I caught that typo right after I hit the post key. It must be the all-night grad party that took it out of me.

EDIT -- and the three other typos that were in there as well!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason I wonder about it being a solid lifter is I felt it was too quiet to not be hydraulic. But from following the forum I get the feeling that hydraulic lifters in a side oiler are rare. This was Bill S's car, so I'm hoping he chimes in. I will pick up an automotive stethoscope. Funny I never picked one up before. It's probably been 35 years since my last valve lash adjustment.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
This was Bill S's car, so I'm hoping he chimes in. I will pick up an automotive stethoscope. Funny I never picked one up before. It's probably been 35 years since my last valve lash adjustment.
Right, ERA-188 with the tunnel port. I can't remember whether that's a solid or not -- I bet Chas remembers though.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I think it's solids with the TP motor

Cobradad Have you changed the oil lately? Different brand or different weight?The other thing is doing a lash check on the rockers for clearance. You also want to keep a GOOD eye on this noise. It could be the begining of the camshaft ot lifters going bad. Driving the car at speeds is great for lubing all the parts. At idle you are not getting the same spray in the motor. If the motor has a windage tray you are getting even less. I will see Bill at the cobra meeting today at washingtons crossing in PA. Come on down if you have the time. Rick L.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I believe it has a solid cam, exactly what type of noise is it making? Does it change with RPM's? As Rick stated, did you change the oil, and if so, what did you change it to? I use Redline (did I give you a case of Redline with the car?) in the car when I had it. 10-12 quarts total for the Canton deep pan,maybe a little more for the oil cooler and lines. If you did just change your oil, check your dipstick level and get back to us.

Rick, I won't be at Washingtons Crossing, have my 30th HS reunion picnic today in northern,NJ.......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobradad, if you want to upload to me an audio/video of your engine I'll convert it and post it for you and then all the geniuses on here can then see it/hear it. Size and format is of no concern -- just PM me if I can help and I'll make it easy for you. BTW, it sounds like the valve lash may not have been set in who-knows-how-long.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input. Oil and filter were changed to redline synthetic Bill gave me and has about 650 miles on it. Patrickt, the suggestion of the stethoscope made all the difference. Passenger side, all cylinders have the valves purring like the probverbial kitten. Cylinder 5 and 8 a little louder, 6 and 7 making a heck of a racket. Is it odd to be fine, and suddenly have valves on two cylinders go out like that. As I mentioned earlier, all engine vitals are great and idle is unaffected so I hope it is nothing more serious than a valve adjustment. Time to pull the valve covers. Thanks again for all the responses.
Bob W.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting that the sound is only on one side of the engine, and strongest in the middle of the bank and less so on the ends. Pull the cover on that side only, adjust the valves, but pay particular attention to the springs, retainers, keepers, and arms on numbers 5 and 6. Pull your coil wire and have someone crank the engine while you stare at those four valves.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Put the rocker shaft on that side

CobraDad Make sure that the oil holes are all open and check the shafts for cracks at the hole where the holddown bolts or studs are. Check for galling, blueing of the shafts. Look this over hard for possible failure. This is strange thing fo 1 side of the motor to have problems on this side and nothing wrong on the low side. Take your time and be careful before reassembly of the motor. Rick L.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Oil and filter were changed to redline synthetic Bill gave me and has about 650 miles on it. Patrickt, the suggestion of the stethoscope made all the difference. Passenger side, all cylinders have the valves purring like the probverbial kitten. Cylinder 5 and 8 a little louder, 6 and 7 making a heck of a racket. Is it odd to be fine, and suddenly have valves on two cylinders go out like that. As I mentioned earlier, all engine vitals are great and idle is unaffected so I hope it is nothing more serious than a valve adjustment. Time to pull the valve covers. Thanks again for all the responses.
Bob W.
Did you miss a shift and/or over rev the motor at all ?

Bill S.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Did you miss a shift and/or over rev the motor at all?

WTF Bill? You sold him a SO with no rev limiter?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
WTF Bill? You sold him a SO with no rev limiter?
I honestly cannot remember if there is a 6 or 6AL MSD box under the dash. Personally, I never over rev the motors in my cars, especially in a 427 big block as all the torque and HP are on the lower end of the spectrum. Even the Mod motor in my fia has yet to see abnormally high RPM's even though it appears to like it higher up in the RPM band........

Bill S.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, no missed shifts. Ive been driving it very sedately. I don't think its seen 5K rpm. With light weight, short wheelbase and alot of hp, I've tried not to be stupid so far. I was just driving home from my office and heard the racket.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, no missed shifts. Ive been driving it very sedately. I don't think its seen 5K rpm. With light weight, short wheelbase and alot of hp, I've tried not to be stupid so far. I was just driving home from my office and heard the racket.
Ok, that eliminates that, have you had a chance to pull the valve covers off yet as I am real curious to get to the bottom of this.

Bill S.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Just to make sure you covered all the easy stuff first - could it be an exhaust leak on that bank. Header bolts have a way of backing off and gaskets or sealer get blown out. Itsi bitsi chance it could be something like that.