Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   289/427 Can't make up my mind! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/115333-289-427-cant-make-up-my-mind.html)

jcooper 04-24-2012 03:01 PM

289/427 Can't make up my mind!

I am bouncing back and forth between 289, Slabside, and a 427. One thing I know for sure is I want undercar exhaust exiting out the back not in front of rear tires.....a street version.
I ordered the manual for the 427 from ERA but now I'm not sure. Does anybody have a 289 or 427 in the Seattle area? I would like to have a look at both before I order....I can go to the factory but if I can see them here it would make it easier. I know seeing a Slabside here is probably out of the question....can't be too many of those around yet!
I guess I really just need to just see the models up close.
Thanks for any help!!

*13* 04-24-2012 03:04 PM

I was at ERA a couple weeks ago. They have a Black FIA car with extended fender flares(Like a Slab). Looked really classy. There was also a Slab on the floor. Nice looking car. Maybe if you beg enough, Bob will post some pictures...

jcooper 04-24-2012 03:10 PM

I wonder how many slabisdes that makes? I would love to see pics! But I really need to touch, feel........see them from all angles.

marcalan 04-24-2012 03:12 PM

If possible, try to make the carlisle show. Good opportunity to see a bunch of cars at once

mrmustang 04-24-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcooper (Post 1187381)
I am bouncing back and forth between 289, Slabside, and a 427. One thing I know for sure is I want undercar exhaust exiting out the back not in front of rear tires.....a street version.
I ordered the manual for the 427 from ERA but now I'm not sure. Does anybody have a 289 or 427 in the Seattle area? I would like to have a look at both before I order....I can go to the factory but if I can see them here it would make it easier. I know seeing a Slabside here is probably out of the question....can't be too many of those around yet!
I guess I really just need to just see the models up close.
Thanks for any help!!

Besides the 289 slabside and 427, you can also have a rear exiting exhaust created for the FIA body style as well ;)

Bill S.

*13* 04-24-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcooper (Post 1187384)
I wonder how many slabisdes that makes? I would love to see pics! But I really need to touch, feel........see them from all angles.

I don't blame you, I wanted the same. I searched out as many cars as I could find. I was in CA, at the time, it wasn't too much trouble. If you know you are going with ERA, a great choice, & you aren't decided on the model...I'd probably search out an ERA of any make that I could look over. The ERA bodies are very accurate, in shape. Most of the details that set the models apart can be seen in photos. A trip to the Factory doesn't hurt, but I made my visit a number of years after I built my car:o. I don't think it is necc to make that visit before hand. The ERA reputation is one of the best around.

JBCOBRA 04-24-2012 04:13 PM

Get a 289 car with a 427 sbf with 289 valve covers. Money :)

jcooper 04-24-2012 04:18 PM

ERA for sure...I do know that. But I wanted to see all three models before I order...I may just have to fly back if I can't find a couple of local cars to see. What and where is the Carlisle Show.
I'm thinking the Slabside because I may not like the larger flared wheel wells on the FIA but need to see them. I know I would like the 427 but wouldn't mind staying away from the big engine cost. I guess it will come down to both the smaller cars and if I like the looks. I also am wondering if getting past the ERA rear suspension with the exhaust is possible or do I have to stay with the standard read end?

*13* 04-24-2012 04:27 PM

Rear exhaust needs std rear. Get Bob to send you a shot of the FIA car with the extended flares & wire wheels. It was a really nice look. I'm not normally an FIA street look fan but I liked the way it looked. Options...

docf 04-24-2012 04:28 PM

I am new to the site and for what it's worth in the late 70's had an original 289 Cobra with wire wheels etc and it was not a terribly impressive car as opposed to the 427. Currently I have an Everett Morrison 427 that we built in 95 with a 4 speed top loader and 427 Fe side oiler, knock off wheels etc. Have been to the Shelby plant at the Vegas raceway.
The 289 FIA cars original and reproductions are stunning. My opinion!
Docf

RodKnock 04-24-2012 04:31 PM

Wait until you have to pick a paint color. Oh boy! :LOL:

Best of luck with your decision. ERA is a great choice. ;)

jcooper 04-24-2012 04:37 PM

I know....it takes me two hours to pick out a pair of shoes! I sell Yachts for a living and help people pick out interior materials.....it takes for ever!!!
I feel a little stupid.....how do I get a hold of Bob? Is he at the factory or on this site?

*13* 04-24-2012 04:47 PM

He'll rob ably show up here. You can call ERA or look him up here. Strictlypersonal is his username

marcalan 04-24-2012 04:48 PM

kit car nationals at Carlisle

Carlisle Import and Kit Nationals - British, French, German, Swedish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Collector, Performance, Parts, Accessories

cobrakiwi 04-24-2012 05:13 PM

My 2 cents, big block 427 street car. With the sunburst wheels.

jcooper 04-24-2012 05:17 PM

who has the standard rear end with standard brakes all the way around? are you happy with the setup?
I'm no racer....But I like the idea of the good stuff...and the ERA rear end looks really good!

jcooper 04-24-2012 05:30 PM

Is there any way to change shape of pipes to make the run in and around the ERA rea end?

Murky781 04-24-2012 05:45 PM

Jcooper... ERA is a great choice. I have a 427 with the standard Jag rear and the regular brakes all around and it stops very well. I don't race, mostly just cruise, and I love the car. Engine expense can be lower with a 289, again depending on how nuts you go. The slabsides are beautiful cars and present as a completely different car than the 427's. I know the slabs can have an under car exhaust and A quick call to ERA, talk to Peter or Bob and they'll tell you anything you need to know. Usually it's just a matter of time and/or money. Have fun with it and as stated above, if you can get to the Carlisle, PA kit car show ERA will have the Slab, 427, and FIA side by side.

patrickt 04-24-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murky781 (Post 1187414)
... it's just a matter of time and/or money.

Uhhh, yeah.:LOL: Jcooper, these cars are starting to get pretty darn pricey. A plane ride in to Connecticut, even from the west coast, is going to be pocket change in the long run. Arrange a time with Peter and then fly out to visit him, and the gang, and see everything with your own two eyes. You will then write him a big fat check, fly home, and patiently wait.:cool:

jcooper 04-24-2012 05:55 PM

I know....just trying to avoid the flight....and it's hell at work right now...in the boat business and spring is here.
Peter just told me I have to wait until October to get a car...if I order now!