Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Tony Hogg (Road & Track Editor) old CSX 427 car?

Wow - 9 whole days and no one has anything ERA to talk about on Bob's forum. What's going on? I could tell about trying to mount my header pipes on the wrong side of the engine - but it's kind of embarrasing.

So. . . . I was curious if anyone knows the whereabouts of the 427 Roadster that was owned by a Road & Track editor, Tony Hogg in the 70s and also the CSX number of the car. He wrote a great article about buying it and the experience of owning it in the July 1974 Road & Track. That article first peaked my interest in the old cars and I still have it in my magazine stack. I know he died a while back but I think he owned the car for some time.

At the time it was a silver 427 street roadster, narrow hip car - no SC mods. The story represents it as a 427 motor car and it had a dual quad intake but the carbs are Carter AFBs. The wheels are hard to make out but could be FIA or 427 Halibrandts.

It was originally my intent to build as close a duplicate of it as possible with my ERA but somehow the silver paint got sidetracked for black instead.

Dan
347stroker likes this.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Dan,

I recall reading the same article years ago, but don't have the issue of R&T at hand like you do

Not sure if it was in that article or in a subsequent one, but I believe Tony's Cobra was in the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. If so, it might still be there or at least they would likely have some detailed information about the car.

Let us know what you find out.

- Tim

Last edited by tkb289; 07-08-2012 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2012, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

I believe Tony Hogg's cobra was pictured in the "Cobra, Now and Forever" poster, with his name, but the serial number is not given.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Csx3154
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Csx3154
CSX3154 - that explains why I didn't find it in the CobraCars photo registry

CSX 3000 SERIES

It's not in there. Maybe Google will surface it.

thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Is this the car you are looking for? The car is sitting at Ford Towe Auto Museum here in Sacramento.

Recently had a conversation with the guy who drove it there, and saw it recently myself. Its on display next to a 289 car and still listed on inventory.

Last edited by decooney; 07-08-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That appears to be it. I looked through Google and found some older stories and photos of it. It looked like it was still wearing the dual Carter AFBs. Your photo looks more recent and possibly after a restoration.

Nice car - one I've thought about a lot since 1974.

thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

That is probably Hogg's car, the picture on the wall above the hood of the car is the exact same photo that is on the Cobra poster from the 70s.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
...Your photo looks more recent and possibly after a restoration...
I grabbed photos off the net real quick to show it. The car has been moved a bit since I was there a few months ago. For the most part it appears to be unrestored, dents in it, interior is very raw. Nice to see it in this condition just like it is. An ex mechanic friend of the family drove it to Towe and he said they filmed him driving it there for the record. Yes, its the same car.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Duane is correct the 427 at the museum IS Hogg's car. I used to be a docent at the museum and thought that car was the best one there. Un-restored and just the way it last was one the road with all the wear and tear. Note: the Towe Auto Museum changed it's name, a few years back, to the California Automobile Museum. Here is the link to it: California Automobile Museum

FIA Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

That link is interesting in that it includes a number of my photos (CSX 3121, our old Cobra, and CSX 3002, black and white shots that I took of the car in Carter Gette's shop at his Milbrook, NY Ford dealership). I guess that once pics are out on the internet they're free for the taking.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, the consensus - right or wrong - is that a picture on the internet can be freely cross posted. The issue butts up with legal purview if someone is making money with it, and lawyers aren't prone to accept cases unless it meets their minimum financial attention.

You can't see a picture on the web unless a copy is given to the viewer, same as a magazine. Is it illegal to cut a page out the magazine and frame it for display, then sell it at the flea market?

Like musicians copying riffs, commercial industry will copy an idea and market it. It comes to mind Carroll Shelby attempted to retain rights over some of that, and lost. Ford owns the word "Cobra," and we still use it freely.

Tony Hogg used it in that article, which I read back then, too. He was describing the "value" of dropping it into a conversation. As if nobody at a party could hear the car pulling into the driveway. Must have been a really big house, I guess.

Time passes, builders are now using 427 Windsors that make even more hp, in kits that cost less and have better performance. Frankly, Shelby is being outdone by the same philosophy that he used to beat Ferrari.

"Is it a real one?" These days, thankfully, we don't need to be limited to that. Glad to see his parked in a museum. Older athletes are best presented in suits at dinners, not on the track. The smart ones go out at the top of their game.

It's much sadder to see them lose past their prime.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tony Hogg's 427

Before Tony Hogg bought this car, it was owned by Mike Clark, a friend of mine in Altoona, Pa, who sold it to someone in Ohio (and then Mike bought a Ferrari GTB). When R&T featured it in a Salon article, I noticed that the chrome tape Mike used to cover some rust below the T-handle on the shifter was still there, as was the cheapo Motorola (I think) radio. In 1969 I borrowed it for photography for a book. Here it is, near the site of the Hershey Hill Climb. Name:  s Cobra in book 001scpt.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Tony Hogg's 427

CSX3154 was at the Cobra 50th reunion at the Monterey Historics this past August. The name on the windshield plaque suggests it is still in the hands of Tony's family.

I recall the article in R&T back in the day, and noticed it had Carters on it instead of Holleys. Always thought maybe he wouldn't have so much trouble starting it if he had the correct carbs.

Nice to see one that hasn't been modified into an S/C.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstruke View Post
Before Tony Hogg bought this car, it was owned by Mike Clark, a friend of mine in Altoona, Pa, who sold it to someone in Ohio (and then Mike bought a Ferrari GTB). When R&T featured it in a Salon article, I noticed that the chrome tape Mike used to cover some rust below the T-handle on the shifter was still there, as was the cheapo Motorola (I think) radio. In 1969 I borrowed it for photography for a book. Here it is, near the site of the Hershey Hill Climb. Attachment 21681
Thanks - curious as to how it ended up with AFB carbs. Do you have any recollection of that.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The reason the car had a "cheapo Motorola radio" was because the tape deck installed by the original owner, Richard Raskind, had a wiring problem while the car was being driven from Iowa back to New York, causing an electrical fire. The car was left in McKeesport, PA for repairs and Raskind decided to sell it rather than go pick it up. And if you want the rest of the story, Google Richard Raskind and see what you come up with.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

How about the COBRA that got me started! It was in the 1983 spring issue of Fabulous Mustangs. I still have the issue.It is Tom McIntyre's. No CSX#.
It says the trouble of driving this car on the road now is it is worth around $70,000!
Also in the May "86" issue there is Lee Roger's COBRA. No CSX# either. Anyone know of these 2? I am most interested in Tom's since it got me on my way into the madness that is COBRA!!!!

P.S. I have the "86" issue also.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

Tom's car is CSX3312 he was at Laguna Seca for the Monterey Historics, too. I hardly ever see it sitting still -
he's always enjoying that old car, the way ol' Shel meant for them to be enjoyed

Jeff
Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajeff View Post
Tom's car is CSX3312 he was at Laguna Seca for the Monterey Historics, too. I hardly ever see it sitting still -
he's always enjoying that old car, the way ol' Shel meant for them to be enjoyed

Jeff
So cool to see it again! Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Lee Rogers is 3286. And, has no one taken up my challenge to Google Richard Raskind? You're missing an unexpected story.