Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA154 427 HR
Not Ranked     
Default Electric fuel pump - need direction

I have an in-line electric pump right now, but will be replacing it in the near future.
I have been looking at the Holley 12-150 billet pump, looks like it's quieter and can provide all of the fuel I could ever use, and it comes with a regulator to drop it from 14psi to 7psi for carbs.

Anyone have any comments / suggestions on this pump?

I would also like to see any photos some of you may have of the electric pump and filter mounted behind the driver wheel to the frame of an ERA. I have and idea, but I don't want to recreate the wheel.

Lastly, any suggestions on a new fuel line from the tank on up. My existing one has been cut in the middle for the inline pump, and I don't want to have multiple areas of rubber and hose clamps...

Thank you,

Jim
Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Jim,
I have no experience with that particular pump, so I can't comment on it in particular. But as you are making significant changes to your fuel delivery system, I will offer a few comments.

If all you do is cruise and seldom run wide open for extended periods, most electric fuel pumps are adequate. However, if you plan to use your car on the track, I suggest you run a pump with a separate downstream pressure regulator with a return line back to the tank. The reason is that fuel pumps with internal pressure regulators (like the one you are considering) control their output pressure by shunting excess fuel from the output side of the pump back to the input side. When the pump gets hot from heavy use, the fuel that is circulating through the pressure regulator system can get hot enough to boil and cause vapor lock. Having a separate pressure regulator downstream allows the pump to push the fuel through only once, so it doesn't get hot enough to boil. The excess fuel sensed by the pressure regulator is routed back to the fuel tank via the return line.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Jim:
I agree 100% with Tommy as to how to route and install the electric gas pump. I installed a Holley 12-801-1 - Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump in my 123 GT Volvo when I upgraded the SU carbs to Webers, I added the fuel preeassure regulator for it is needed when Webers are installed to avoid blowing the seals. The Holley is a great pump.

I have a mechanical pump in my Cobra and it is working fine, however, I have a spare Holley 12-801-1 - Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump in the event the mechanical fails in the future. If you need it I might be able to sell it to you for what I paid. $120.00.
Sincerely
Lou
Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default If the fuel line is metal

flaflier Jim if you are talking about metal fuel line that runs on the frame of the car, you have 2 choises and staying with metal, you can buy a 12" piece of steel line and either flair both ends along with what is on the car and used flair couplers or use 2 compression fittings to mate both lines togeather. The only added thing would to be adding clamps with rubber inserts to stop and vibration of the line. 1 clamp good, 2 would be better.
As far as fuel pumps and mounting locations, just make sure that you have some kind of shielding to protect the pump and regulator.
Is there something wrong with the in line pump? If not IMP I would leave it alone and carry a spare pump incase of a failure and tools to swap over on the side of the road. Rick L.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

I've had this particular fuel pump for four or five years. Much quieter than the old blue diaphragm pump it replaced. I actually think I bought it on Amazon.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #266, 427 S/C sideoiler stroker, pin drives
Not Ranked     

I have a holley 7lb. electric fuel pump (w/no regulator) mounted just above the front of my fuel tank bolted thru the rear of the trunk. There is a thin piece of rubber between the pump bracket and the body. I had no problems ever with fuel flow until just recently it weakened causing stall out under hard acceleration. I just replaced the same pump because it lasted me 21 years!