Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dragline

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Gas smell ~ tank

So I've had a pretty strong gas smell since I got the car in January...I just sort of chalked it up to the car being non fuel injected etc...today I went for a ride and got the car filled up came home put the car in the garage. A little while later I went out and looked under the car in the back by the tank...I noticed a gas spill on the ground and gas coming from somewhere above the tank dripping down?...the carpet in the trunk is dry ...where could this be coming from?...anyone else experience this?...recommended solutions?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

If you are running a fuel cell my first guess is that you have a bad bladder in the tank. They usually go bad on the bottom but I guess you never know. If not a cell, it could be from a lot of places like the fuel line connection, sending unit or even a vent connection.

Last edited by mpanten; 10-08-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

funny you mention this. i recently purchased a fully assembled FF roadster. got it inspected and went straight across the parking lot and filled 'er up. was feeling rather good about myself and things in general until i walked around the back of the car and saw a downpour of gasoline raining down from the tank. turns out the jerry-rigged job that was the mounting of the fuel level sending unit decided to give up on my watch. instead of the correct twist lock mounting for the '89 fox mustang tank someone had used a 5-screw flange mount and some custom gasket-ry. still in the process of trying to resolve with a new tank and sending unit. i think you'll need to drain the tank and drop her down to get a good look.
jaydonaldson likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

....i went out and looked again...its got to be coming from the top of the tank where the fuel sender is...since "I didn't build it"...does anyone know if there is access from the trunk?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Call Nick at Acton Custom, he makes a correct all aluminum tank in both S/C and street configuration.

My $0.02
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

On my slightly older (#629) car, there is no access from the trunk. You'll need to drop that tank but that's a very easy process (as long as the tank is empty or nearly empty). Take a look at the owner's manual, it will give you step by step directions.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No access from trunk. But I think your problem is fuel pulling up the fill neck and running out the tank vent hose. It's being siphoned. The tank's not venting to atmosphere correctly. The seal in the comp filler cap may not be pulling fumes.
Bob P. can advise better.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default its not from the vent

on my car there is a vent hose that runs down the right rear fender...this leak is coming from the left side of the top of the tank (if looking at the car from the back)...all the leak streaks are on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
No access from trunk. But I think your problem is fuel pulling up the fill neck and running out the tank vent hose. It's being siphoned. The tank's not venting to atmosphere correctly. The seal in the comp filler cap may not be pulling fumes.
Bob P. can advise better.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We typically put a fuel filter at the left-front of the tank. Make sure that isn't the source. The sender is in a well that's close to the center-front of the tank. It's not likely that gas would leak out of the well unless the tank was over-filled for an extended period.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default thanks Bob

...answered my own question by reading the manual...it might be the fuel filter...but the odd thing is the gas appears to be running down the tank from the back of the car towards the front?...the fuel filter appears to be towards the front tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
We typically put a fuel filter at the left-front of the tank. Make sure that isn't the source. The sender is in a well that's close to the center-front of the tank. It's not likely that gas would leak out of the well unless the tank was over-filled for an extended period.

Last edited by kgs365; 10-08-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

My filter is mounted just in front of the tank on the left side.

I would think it is one of your vent tubes. Look in the trunk at the filler neck and you will see them. Then locate them from the underside.

John
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Had a similar problem on #684 very early on. Turned out the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit was tweaked. Only happened when the tank was first filled. Put a new gasket in and hasn't been a problem since. Just be careful not to over tighten the screws. Remember it's aluminum.
DonC
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Slight thread drift, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
Had a similar problem on #684 very early on. Turned out the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit was tweaked. Only happened when the tank was first filled. Put a new gasket in and hasn't been a problem since. Just be careful not to over tighten the screws. Remember it's aluminum.
DonC
My apology for the thread drift....I don't have an ERA, but I do have two problems that have been mentioned already.

My replica has a heavy gauge welded aluminum tank....on my replica the vent tubes that vent the tank to the filler area are broken loose on both the top and the bottom. The genius who installed the tank installed heavy gauge straps for the tank to sit on, but nothing to hold it down, so the first time I hit a bump on the road I could hear the thing lifting and falling back down. This means I have to take the inlet section off the tank as well as the filler off the top of the fender and have both vent tubes welded back on, then re-install all the tubing, as well as install straps to hold the tank down.

Bummer....but I have the gas smell in the garage, as well as a small puddle under the passenger side behind the rear tire, every time I fill the tank too much. Check your vent tubes to make sure they haven't suffered the same ill fate mine did as the tank bounced around.

The other issue I have is related to the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit. On my replica the previous owner had some foam blocks installed in the tank, now the fuel gauge gets "hung up" and I think it is because the foam blocks are floating around and interfering with the swing arm on the fuel gauge sensing unit. I plan on taking the fuel-gauge mounting off the top of the tank while I have it out for welding and making sure there is some sort of barrier between the foam blocks and the sending unit. I see there was mention of gasket...is cork the substance to use? I figure I'll end up making my own gasket, as the piece looks custom made....what sort of sealant should I use, IF any?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide on this issue. Someday I hope to be asking questions on this board regarding an ERA 289 model....my dream replica!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

I too have gasoline/Petrol fumes in my trunk/boot.

My tank is welded stainless steel with a 6" x 10" Oval bulkhead Fill Plate. There is a rubber...Neoprean? gasket between the plate and tank. The bolts are 1/4" NF stainless steel with Loctite gasoline compatible thread sealer. Each bolt has a stainless steel flat washer with bonded Neoprene sealing washers under the head.

Sender unit has a cork gasket with stainless 10-32 screws, thread sealer and stainless/neoprene sealing washers.

All bulkhead fittings and hose fittings are sealed where called for. Vent hose is not connected in this photo but is connected and vented to the outside of the trunk body into the wheel arch.

The only thing I did not do was to apply a gasket sealing paste/compound to the oval rubber gasket between the 6" x 10" bulkhead plate and tank. Could this be the area where fumes are escaping?

I have no leaks anywhere. See photo of the installed tank below. Thanks!!!

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=2782

Last edited by lal Naja; 03-02-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
...answered my own question by reading the manual...it might be the fuel filter...but the odd thing is the gas appears to be running down the tank from the back of the car towards the front?...the fuel filter appears to be towards the front tank?
The weld seams are at the top back edge and along the bottom sides, so I would try to isolate the source of the fuel better. It's also possible for a leak at the sender to work its way back along the top of the tank, assuming that you occasionally accelerate strongly.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV/Coyote/PS/PB/ABS/AC
Not Ranked     

If no access to tank from trunk, under carpet, drop the tank and see what's wrong. If you have a full tank, best to go to a garage to empty it first, to be safe.