Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Bob - question on blower motor

Bob - I'm kind of confused on the blower motor. As it is furnished, I belive it is simply an off/on affair handled by a two-pole toggle switch. But, there are various references in the manual about a 2-speed and even 3-speed heater unit being furnished and some discussion about wiring in a separate switch to control the additional speeds.

I assume with just the off/on switch it will run on high in the on position. Typically heater motor lower speeds are operated by a resister or resister bank. There is a discussion about wiring in a separate 3 pole switch but I'm unclear on the wiring. Is the idea to disassemble the heater and splice a switch to the internal wiring for the motor? There is just a single wire coming out of the motor as delivered. Seems strange the motor and wiring internal to the unit would be set up for multiple speed operation but there isn't any plug and play capability on the outside of the unit. Is there a further discussion or description of this process somewhere?

Maybe I'm missing something all to obvious again.

Thanks

Dan
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

When we prep the unit, we "hide" the low and medium speed wires inside the case. Just connect the remaining wire to the toggle switch to have a single-speed blower.

If you're obsessed with having the other speeds, you'll have to pull the heater out, disassemble it to access the other wires, and use a different switch mounted underneath the dash. I've got the old ones here somewhere.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

OK - that fits in with the instructions in the manual. I was looking for something that said you have to open up the heater. Guess I better do this before installing the dash and filling the cooling system.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Dan, thanks for asking that question. I was reading that in the manual and was confused as well but haven't gotten that far yet.

Bob, I also read that the blower doesn't put out a tremendous amount of air or heat. Based on that, are the multiple speeds worth the effort?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Dan, thanks for asking that question. I was reading that in the manual and was confused as well but haven't gotten that far yet.

Bob, I also read that the blower doesn't put out a tremendous amount of air or heat. Based on that, are the multiple speeds worth the effort?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin - a good question (I suspect the answer will be no). With me it's kind of - it's an modification that is there to perform - do I do so just for the sake and self-satisfaction of having done it or move on(?).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Hi Dan,

I understand that completely - I'm the same way. I recently installed an in-dash navigation system in our family car. It had an optional wire that can be hooked up to the speedometer to track you while in tunnels/lost signal areas. Hooking up that wire meant removing the entire instrument panel - a lot of work. And who needs GPS in a tunnel? Well, I couldn't help myself and hooked it up anyway

In this case, I'd just like to know more before proceeding.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kevin
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Believe me, if you need to turn on the heater, the only setting you need is "high." On a late October day/evening here in the NE, the high setting its equivilent to having an ol' hound dog pant on your ankles, the others you won't feel at all.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Great analogy, that's what I thought about the heater.

Kevin
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have the heater in my car, but if I were to drive my car for any real distance, in cold weather, I would get one of those cigar-lighter-powered electric blankets and put it over me. That, along with the soft top, that now fits pretty darn well, and my side curtains, would make it quite snuggly. But, I have no desire to drive the Cobra in anything but nice weather....
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another consideration besides just output is noise. If the fan is irritating noisy when running on high I may want to install the switch and accept a little less heat for less noise. Patrick/Jim - can you comment on noise?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Another consideration besides just output is noise. If the fan is irritating noisy when running on high I may want to install the switch and accept a little less heat for less noise. Patrick/Jim - can you comment on noise?
No noise. That is a "non-issue."
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No noise. That is a "non-issue."
Thanks - having installed undercar exhaust on my car I tend to forgot the rest of you probably can't hear anything over your sidepipes anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks - having installed undercar exhaust on my car I tend to forgot the rest of you probably can't hear anything over your sidepipes anyway.
Just hook the leads to it up to a 12v battery there on your garage floor and you'll hear it. Seriously, the sound of either my puller fan, or my two pusher fans, is louder than the heater fan. But here's another idea -- mount a little variable resistor from Radio Shack on the side of the heater and you can then "dial in" the speed of the fan to exactly what you want, and you'd still have the on/off switch on the dash.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just hook the leads to it up to a 12v battery there on your garage floor and you'll hear it. Seriously, the sound of either my puller fan, or my two pusher fans, is louder than the heater fan. But here's another idea -- mount a little variable resistor from Radio Shack on the side of the heater and you can then "dial in" the speed of the fan to exactly what you want, and you'd still have the on/off switch on the dash.
That's actually a pretty good idea Patrick - wonder why ERA didn't look at that as an option.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's actually a pretty good idea Patrick - wonder why ERA didn't look at that as an option.
Hmmm, that's a good question. They've had my résumé now for going on seven years, and they still haven't made a final decision on whether I can come to work there for free yet. Maybe this suggestion could tilt the scales in my favor.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's actually a pretty good idea Patrick
Hi Dan,

I wonder where everyone is today... I once said something similarly nice to Patrick and within 5 minutes I was flamed and instructed "Please do not feed the Patrick"

That said, it actually is a good idea...

Kevin
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, Patrick is kind of scary. The Government attorneys I work with on Contract law I suspect would have technical dificulty changing a light bulb. He is apparently a different breed.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin - tried out the heater fan today and it is loud - nearly as loud as the engine fan. I'm going to install a switch or something.

Dan
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The End

Well - I removed the heater motor today and ended up completely disassemblying the motor. There isn't any multi-speed option on the motor. There are only two leads - ground and power. I took the entire thing apart thinking there was a second power terminal inside, but there isn't. Apparently ERA has changed heater sources since the last manual upadate on this.

The only way to come up with mulitiple speed is to wire in a big resister like most older cars use but most are mounted internal to the heater case so as to prevent an exposed, hot resistor that could be touched and there just isn't enough room for one. I checked into a variable resistor but most are for low watt or AC house current - couldn't find a 12 volt one.

Good news is that I put rubber washers top and bottom on the motor mounting screws to the case and now the fan and motor are a lot quieter - so I'm quitting while I'm ahead and haven't broken something.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting the details. I think I'll do the rubber washer thing when I get back to working on my car. Pretty easy to do with the dash out and the heater not connected.

Regards,

Kevin