Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default ERA766 is on the road!

On the road as of Saturday, 2.2.13, after 3 1/2 years of work. 125 test miles covered so far. More to follow, including build details, likes and dislikes, and "if I had to do it over again, I'd . . . . " comments. Pictures also, as time permits.

Bottom line: the ERA 427 Replica is a great kit from a great company!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Pictures?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! I have an ERA 427 build in progress, so am very interested in your "if I had it to do over again..." comments.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I just passed 3 years on my build (#782) and I figure I have another 6 months to go before I hit the road - so looks like we were following the same schedule. But this thread needs pictures for validation.

Congratulations.

Dan
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Dan, you're scaring me a bit. My 427 ERA arrives in April (hopefully) painted and with the body bonded. I plan to do this project with my kids and am planning on it taking about a year. Is that completely unreasonable?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

It takes as long as it takes if you want to do a top quality job. Don't set artificial time limits and don't rush things or you won't enjoy the experience nearly as much. You will have already saved a great deal of time with body attachment and painting accomplished before the kit arrives--you won't need to disassemble much as a result of this choice. Focus on one job at a time, do it thoroughly, and do it right before moving on to the next--it will save much troubleshooting time later. An old saying in paraphrase: "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?"
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Dan, you're scaring me a bit. My 427 ERA arrives in April (hopefully) painted and with the body bonded. I plan to do this project with my kids and am planning on it taking about a year. Is that completely unreasonable?
I built mine from scratch - bonding, body work, painting myself - thus the long build. Getting a painted roller from ERA - I don't have a good basis to answer from but I would guess 6 to 18 months. It depends on how much assembly you had ERA perform, the amount of time you have to work on it, the speed with which you get the motor/trans set up and installed, any last minute glitches. For instance, I've killed most of the last 30 days resolving some electrical issues and a leaking heater shut off valve. I don't what it is lately - but Fed Ex and UPS deliveries have been slower than I could ever have imagined. 1-1/2 weeks to deliver a shut off valve from ERA - who could have figured. The heater switch took even longer in shipping. From CT to Arkansas appears to be like shipping to a foreign country. It's not ERA's fault - they deal with requests and ship fast. It's the shippers.

But, you should be in the ball park.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
On the road as of Saturday, 2.2.13, after 3 1/2 years of work. 125 test miles covered so far. More to follow, including build details, likes and dislikes, and "if I had to do it over again, I'd . . . . " comments. Pictures also, as time permits.

Bottom line: the ERA 427 Replica is a great kit from a great company!

Congrats on getting 766 on the road, nothing like that first drive after years of planing and work ... photos please
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post

Lippy,

Good advice from the guys ... take your time, do it right and enjoy the experience. My FIA was a roller, but it still took me (6) months to get it drivable and another (6) months to get it 'done'. I had to fabricate / modify some parts, wait for parts, send parts out for coating and so forth and so on. Then there are all the inspections and paperwork.

Depending on how many hours you can devote and to what level of detail you want to achieve, that will dictate how long it will take. A year is reasonable, but don't be surprised if it takes longer. One suggestion, take lots of photos of the build along the way, especially of you and your kids ... memories in the making

- Tim
Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Enjoy the journey! With some 850 ERAs out there, virtually every issue in assembling these cars has been dealt with, more than once. Where I see some folks being challenged is where they deviate from the ERA's "plan" by using different components, engine/trans combinations.

Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I had Connecticut Customs paint mine and I had ERA bond the body to the frame. Other than that, I did the entire build myself. While I was waiting for the kit to show up, I built the motor and had ERA send me the subframe for the rear so I could get the rearend assembly ready to bolt in. Once the kit showed up, I had it on the road in 6 months.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Good for you! That is great....

You are right: Bottom line: the ERA 427 Replica is a great kit from a great company!