Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

David - I had not heard that about the speedbleeder needing to be resealed after awhile - but that makes sense. I wonder if pipe thread sealer works OK.

Kind of what I figured with the vents letting a lot of dust into the engine compartment.

Thanks

Dan
Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Maybe that was part of the reason I did not install them, more bother than they are worth. I also have them for my Mustang and Harley. I don't believe I installed those either...LOL
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Hal,

Thanks. The problem I am trying to improve is the temperature of the air thru the vents in the cockpit. They are completely useless long runs when everything is heat soaked.

My car gets driven and I would like some cooling for me and my wife.

John
Hi John:
Do you have ceramic coated headers? that makes a huge difference, I just did mine last year and the temperature of the cockpit did go down quite a bit, Happy Wife happy Ride
Cheers
Lou
Old 05-02-2015, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Lou,

I am currently between Cobras, but the last on had ceramic coated headers. I drove it on some long trips without the screens and then installed them and drove it on some long trips.

No noticeable change in cockpit temp and didn't really notice the engine compartment getting any dirtier.

All I noticed was my wallet getting $200 lighter, and the vents did look cool.

John
RockBit likes this.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I was going to install the vents but decided against it after speaking with Doug. My car has the heat shields installed and thought the vents looked cool, but Doug said if you ever get caught out in the rain, it makes a mess in there with the screens installed.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Would someone post a good picture of the exhaust vents installed on the car? Am I correct that these are installed in the wheel well between the headers and front tire? I'm confused as to how the vents could allow dust or rain into the engine compartment. My Cobra is currently being built at ERA. I had ordered the vents, but am early enough in the build to make a change.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I found some good pictures of the vents installed on the ERA website. Now I see how dust and water kicked up by the front tires could get into the engine bay.

Looks like these vents would allow for cross ventilation across the headers from this vent to the side vents, although I don't know how much wind would pass through the screen while driving. If anything, it would help when sitting still, allowing another passage for heat to escape.

I probably don't need them since I'm getting ceramic coated primaries, and the aluminum heat shield too. I could always add them later if I need to.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
I was going to install the vents but decided against it after speaking with Doug. My car has the heat shields installed and thought the vents looked cool, but Doug said if you ever get caught out in the rain, it makes a mess in there with the screens installed.
Doug told me the exact same thing!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I have them installed on mine and it doesn't get hot in the summer. I do have the ceramic coated headers and pipes. I will post a picture later tonight if that helps.

Phil
Old 05-08-2015, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the pics of ERA 714 with the vents in.

Phil
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
Do you have heat shields installed? Also, is your tire hitting. I think I see a rub mark.
Dave
Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Louvers

You can purchase louvers to fit in the area to keep dirt from being thrown up onto your headers and route the air to the vent.
This example is for a West Coast Cobra. It did not have any fender wells at all. As you can imagine, dirt would go everywhere. You should be able to add the louver from the back side on three holes drilled to match your vent hole pattern.

Last edited by Xack; 05-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
Yes heat shields installed. With the aluminum block and ceramic coated headers it just does not get that hot in my foot boxes. Perhaps its because I don't wear many socks when it gets warm and just flip on the Sperries. I did use the air vent though and that also has helped.

Phil
Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xack View Post
You can purchase louvers to fit in the area to keep dirt from being thrown up onto your headers and route the air to the vent.
This example is for a West Coast Cobra. It did not have any fender wells at all. As you can imagine, dirt would go everywhere. You should be able to add the louver from the back side on three holes drilled to match your vent hole pattern.

Interesting idea for sure. So this is two sets of louvers you have, 1 set facing up, 1 set facing down?
I have not installed the screen yet so I have no holes to worry about, just the heat shield locating holes.
Do you have dimensions for the louvers and maybe a link. They look quite a bit smaller than the screen. Perhaps I could use this instead of the screen. Paint it black, it will blend right in!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Dave,
Yes heat shields installed. With the aluminum block and ceramic coated headers it just does not get that hot in my foot boxes. Perhaps its because I don't wear many socks when it gets warm and just flip on the Sperries. I did use the air vent though and that also has helped.

Phil
How did you avoid interference with the heat shield/ mounting holes? I don't see the heat shield mount hardware in your pics?
Also, is that a tire rub mark in your pic
Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

Sorry, I thought you mean on he foot boxes themselves. I do have them on the foot boxes, but not on the floors or in the fender wells. I hope that answers your question.

Phil
Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, also, the tire hits very rarely. I had never heard it or even noticed it. That's all the rubbing on 5,000 miles so I am not too inclined to worry about it. I think its the tight turning when parallel parking.

Phil
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
I meant the heat shields installed directly above the primary pipes.

All that rubbing damage on my car, I never heard a thing!!!

Doug suggested making a stop and installing it on the control arm There is a tab on the caliper with a rubber bumper on it. That bumper is on an angle and still has a 1/4 inch gap between it and the control arm at full engagement of the tire against the wheelwell
Old 05-11-2015, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds cool. Got a pic? I would like to install that control arm stop. I have never heard mine rubbing. Other occasional noises I have heard such as rocks hitting the fenders and other things like large bugs getting sucked in the front from the cooling fan. I used an air hose and blow out the radiation fins every so often.

Phil
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Louvers

You can have these Louvers custom made to match the pattern of your hole in the wheel well. I bought these louvers to place them in 2 positions. 1 as far back into the wheel well and I mounted it on the outside because there is no interference with the tire. 2. The one outermost has to be mounted inside the aluminum panel to avoid tire interference. The tire will kick up dust and debris so they should vent from the top down and block dust, dirt and rocks being thrown up from the tire tread. This along with your screen, should keep the footbox and header collector clean longer. You can mount them on the inside on top of the screen. I did not use a screen, because that'll just get clogged with mud. Mine is a West Coast Cobra. It has no wheel well material at all. The aluminum you see in the photo is non-standard. I have no heat shield. I think I may need to look at making one.