Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
You may also want to check out FinishLine. They have the Raydots, mounting brackets, and thumb nuts. I think that's all you need. Thanks for the idea, BTW. I'm going to use one of these for a right-hand mirror.
They have replica Raydyots, for replicars, they are not in the Raydyot registry so they can't be called real...
xb-60 and lippy like this.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
You guys really have me thinking. Now I may not mount my fender mirror but instead get two windshield mounted ones. No risk, besides the cost of the mirrors, which isn't much. Two questions: (1) Anyone know where to get Raydots with the "Raydot" etching/logo? and (2) Anyone know where to get (1) with convex glass?
Bill Kemper has a few left with the logo, price is $200 plus shipping, is the signature really worth that much?... kinda like a Car on here I know...

Last edited by fordracing65; 08-24-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMHO mirrors on a Cobra are somewhat useless, just turn your head a little, the car has the best visibility of any car on the road...
Old 08-24-2013, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And your all spelling RAYDYOT wrong...
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have a stick-on convex mirror, over the regular mirror, on the left side, and look over my shoulder for the right side. You would never be able to tell that it's not the original mirror either. I don't know where I got it, it was just in my garage and fit perfectly. I would think any larger auto parts store would have one. Here's a pic:

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have a stick-on convex mirror, over the regular mirror, on the left side, and look over my shoulder for the right side. You would never be able to tell that it's not the original mirror either. I don't know where I got it, it was just in my garage and fit perfectly. I would think any larger auto parts store would have one. Here's a pic:

I got one from Second Strike, objects with this mirror appear closer, great for backing up to see where your fender is...
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I got my convex mirror at Pepboys - had the same black rim that I see in Patrick's photo. I removed that black rim (it also had a solid back) and removed the original mirror. The convex mirror, without the rim, recessed nicely into the mirror housing.

So, Patrick and Fordracing, you both stopped short of saying the mirror works well. As I said earlier I haven't mounted mine yet but, when I hold it up, it appears adequate. Are you able to actually see well enough with yours to trust it changing lanes, etc.? I agree that the best thing to do is to turn and look, but it would be nice to have a decent mirror. Regardless, it is obviously much better than the original flat mirror.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
So, Patrick and Fordracing, you both stopped short of saying the mirror works well.
It works just fine -- I have no problems with it. There are no blind spots over on that side, merging is easy. Give it a try, if unhappy, just pull it off. I wouldn't go to the trouble of dis-assembling your existing mirror, just stick it on. Nobody will know the difference.

Edit -- But I did go to the trouble, see: A Replacement Convex Mirror that Really Works

Last edited by patrickt; 12-30-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I also have the convex stickon that Patrickt has and it works nicely for merging to the left. If a car can be seen in the mirror, then they are too close to change lanes safely. For longer views to the left, I have a billet wind wing mirror from DreamCar company. Really nice mirrors, good view and are made for left and right side.
For changing lanes to the right, I usually just look over my shoulder and not use a mirror.

STORE
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Check these as an option!

Case Study_003
riebel@insightbb.com
www.thedreamcarcompany.com
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC/Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I found a cheap and easy solution at Walmart.....about $1. Small, pie shaped stick on mirrors for the corner of a regular car mirror. I mounted them on a small shaft and suction cup and attached in the upper left and right corners of the windshield. They are adjustable, so you can set the angle to suit your needs. The left one is great as it is quite close to your eye and with a quick glance can show whatever is in your blind spot. The right one works ok, but as its further away doesn't show quite as much, although still good for that blind spot on the right rear.

I am not adept at posting pictures here, but would be happy to send some pictures if you want to email me at gjotterson@yahoo.com.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #448, 1964-427
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into mirrors from ERA and Finishline. I really don't like to turn to look over my right shoulder while changing lanes. I feel it's more important to watch the cars in front of me particularly at highway speeds or above. Also, all my other cars have right mirrors and I depend on them greatly. This group is the greatest. Thansk again..........Art
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
I have three Raydots with convex mirrors that really give you a good wide view!

I think I'm gonna go with the Raydots on each side, and the rectangular mirror on the dash. Those mirrors look good on your car. Are they they brushed or chrome finish?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I have the mirrors mounted in the windshield and the passenger side is not much help. I cannot get enough adjustment in it without hitting the wind wing. I am toying with the idea of making another bracket with the mirror mounting location about 1/2 inch further out allowing for a better turn. Will see if this works.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I've made a stainless plate to mount the mirror on for several of my Cobras buddies.

We covered the holes in the fender with a badge that I made.

you could mount a second dash mirror on the windshield and turn it to the blind spot. Someone on FFR site sell them or you can make one of of aluminum.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=MIRRORCLAMP

Hope this works------besides Pegasus for sporty competition supplies, you might just want to google anything nascar mirror-----------
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Mirror, mirror....on the dash......

I love the racy look of the Raydyot mirrors, but they aren't real practical out on the road. I have three of them spread across the dash, but they have a limited field of vision.

A few years ago at Concorso Italiano, I discovered Aardvark International - the US distributor for Talbot mirrors. They had convex elements for round Talbot mirrors that I installed in my Raydyot mirrors.
These were a little smaller in diameter, but they will fit in the Raydyot housing. Talbot & Co.

More recently, I purchased a clip-on CIPA mirror at Summit Racing, and modified it to work with my Raydyot mirror.

The CIPA mirror has two plastic fixed posts, and two spring-loaded metal posts. I trimmed the plastic posts to reduce their width, and then bent the metal posts at an angle so they would clamp on to a round mirror.
The results are great - I can drive with this clip-on mirror in place, and when I get to a show, I just pull it off. Affords a much better view of what's behind you. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cip-34000/overview/

regards,

Jeff