Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA Street, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Gauge wiring gremlin question

I own factory built ERA #2058, a 289 FIA Street model with the drop down dash & typical SW street gauge layout. I've replaced the SW Amp gauge with a SW one showing Volts. All gauges and lights function as they should (finally), BUT, the last gremlin is when I flip the light toggle switch on to either of the two positions, the gas gauge "pegs" to the full position regardless of how much gas is actually in the tank. When the light toggle switch is moved to "off", the gas gauge returns to showing the current gas level. I suspect some sort of grounding short, but I don't see any connection between these two gauges in the wiring diagram. What am I missing? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How did you hook up the volt gauge

Caldon How did you hook up the volt gauge? The 2 main wires should be contected to each other with a wire tail going to the voltage gauge. Light should snap right in new gauge. Ground wire needs to run directly to a ground on the car. Don't run it into any wiring behind dash. I think you hooked your ground into the sender curcuit to the gauge or have a loose wire on the back of the dash. It's back feeding. Simple to fix. Good luck Rick L.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The S/W fuel gauge will show full if the sender wire is grounded. It might also show full if the power to it is interrupted, but that's not likely. None of wires from the light switch will be grounded when the switch is on, so the problem doesn't seem to be connected to the headlights themselves. I would look at how the dash light wires are run to the fuel gauge. The Red/White-stripe wire is powered when the lights are on. Other than that direction, it's a very strange problem.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Don't drive at night. LOL!!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

O.K. fellas, thanks for the prompt posting of these suggestions and tips. I've got stuff to check for sure. I'll have to go back to notes and also talk to my "wiring" buddy to fully recall. I know "just" taking the dash "down" and looking at the back will reveal the actual situation but it REALLY helps to have these specifics to check for and fix things as needed. Thank you all. Yes even Tbone! When I have driven at night, I make sure I have a full tank! I could report what I found and did...but that may be down the "winter project to do list" road a ways, but we'll see. Take care everyone.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Caldon,
Maybe this will help: click here.
Good luck.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tommy, thank you. A very interesting read. I'll add it to my check list for sure.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWIW, just to follow up, in trouble shooting the loss of both brake lights and turn signals, it seems that the original (?) wiring passes very close to the engine/exhaust and had finally "melted". So re-wiring using a "better" routing fixed both the brake/turn signal lighting problem AND the gas gauge "pegging full" problem when the light switch is turned on. Voila, functioning as it should. Thanks again to all helpful comments.

Tags
era, gauges, wiring