Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By henrik
  • 1 Post By computerworks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Cool Modification - For Pusher Fans Only, Though

If you have pusher fans, along with a hefty puller fan, you know the pushers don't really do much other than look cool. All my fans come on when the thermostatic switch in the lower radiator hose hits its point, because both the pushers and pullers are all wired together. The same is true with the toggle switch on the dash -- they all come on together with the toggle switch override. Plus, they are all handled by the same single relay. If you're stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day you do want all the fans on together, but for the most part, you only want your puller coming on. If the puller fan failed, the pushers would probably get you by. So, it only makes sense to modify the installation to get backup redundancy. After thinking it through, I decided I wanted the thermostatic switch to only turn on the puller fan, but I wanted the toggle switch to turn on all the fans. Plus, I wanted the pusher fans on a completely different circuit so if the puller's relay failed the toggle switch would still allow the pushers to come on. The hardest part was finding the 12v DPST-NO Relay that would handle the amperage of the pusher fans. Omron Part #G7L-2A-BUBJ-CB-DC12 fit the bill, and it easily mounts on the driver's foot box, up near the firewall, next to the voltage regulator -- almost invisible. Then all you do is cut the blue wire on the fan relay that leads to the toggle switch, cut the red wire to the pusher fans, and wire it all in. Here are some shots and a wiring diagram.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-01-2018 at 08:18 AM..
Old 08-14-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Groannnnnn...
The eight track would have been better.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's a nice modification, if I do say so myself. I think it should be the default installation format at ERA for cars having both the big puller and the dual pushers.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's a nice modification, if I do say so myself. I think it should be the default installation format at ERA for cars having both the big puller and the dual pushers.
-And you will be the only one to say so. I'm concerned about that large, swollen object on your shoulders.

1985-puller fan, dash toggle plus 200 degree t'stat switch.
1993-pusher fans, dash toggle.

Any or all controlled by t'stat and DRIVER.

I'm SURE that Bob is losing sleep about his job security right this very minute...
Old 08-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the single toggle switch. Remember, it's important to simplify your life. I think you need a vacation, Chas. Maybe a few days on the coast?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Now that I think about it...

... and, when would you ever want to run your pusher fans without having your puller fan on as well anyway?
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and, when would you ever want to run your pusher fans without having your puller fan on as well anyway?
When checking/adjusting the timing. But it's also a function of when I don't want 3 fans running...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
When checking/adjusting the timing...
'splain, Lucy, 'splain. Does the puller fan somehow impede your ability to see your timing marks?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't rush down to the patent office just yet-have you noticed that you and I are the only two asses on this thread??
And I'm the bigger ass for even wasting electrons on it..

Another Patrick tutorial that nobody needs. Try the Harry Potter Forum again with this wizard science trick...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Don't rush down to the patent office just yet-have you noticed that you and I are the only two asses on this thread??
And I'm the bigger ass for even wasting electrons on it..

Another Patrick tutorial that nobody needs. Try the Harry Potter Forum again with this wizard science trick...
Take a beer and relaxe...

Patrick was sharing his experience - if you don't like it or find it irrelevant = stay silent

Personally I liked reading it

Enjoy the day - here it was raining so much last night that my basement is now a swimmingpool...
35olds likes this.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... you and I are the only two asses on this thread??

and, knock it off. Let the thread stand on its content or it goes away.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
35olds likes this.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ehhrgg, preemptive strike by CW right when I was marshalling support. OK, let me stick to the benefits of why one toggle switch is superior to two. I submit there is never a time that you would want your pushers running and your puller not; thus there is never a need for two switches. Your answer about having the puller off when you're setting the timing didn't make sense. If you're setting your timing with the engine at its normal temp then the thermostatic switch is going to be turning the puller fan on regardless of your switches on your dash. But, assuming, arguendo, that you really do want the puller fan not running on the rare times you are messing with your timing. Then all I have to do is pull the relay on the firewall and turn my toggle switch on. Ta Da! I now declare victory and you're just jealous If you can come up with a reason why two switches is better, or a non-bogus reason why you would want your pushers on and your puller off, please post it -- but keep it polite and on topic so CW doesn't close the thread.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I have two

1) One is the standard for manual override of the pull...
2) Two is for manual on/off for the "show off" front fans - even with engine silent

I wanted two - I have two...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
Well, I have two

1) One is the standard for manual override of the pull...
2) Two is for manual on/off for the "show off" front fans - even with engine silent

I wanted two - I have two...
Yes, I thought of the "show off" factor. But, after carefully weighing the comparative impact, I decided that, on the few times that I would be showing off the pusher fans, it would be OK to have the puller running as well. Mostly I want to better understand why Chas. doesn't want his puller fans running when he checks his timing. It's either a safety factor, a vision factor, or he quickly made up a bogus answer and is now stuck with it.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

I find this an interesting thread. ERA375 has both pushers and pullers. I shall explain why i have them wired totally separately on two totally separate circuits and switches. The puller is on the standard ERA circuit and two way switch. The pushers are on another circuit, using its own relay and similar switch however a simple Lucas On/Off switch.

The reason for the dual paths is that I wanted the fans to be in a high availability configuration sharing nothing so there is no single point of failure. There was an occasion back in 2003 where my thermostat switch somehow began failing. So that was the reason for the totally separate configuration. With the engine running I cannot hear if the puller is on or off (or the pullers for that matter).

None the less, I do applaud the approach of the author. Nice work.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Very Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSC400 View Post
None the less, I do applaud the approach of the author. Nice work.
Well, thank you very much. I'm tempted to throw that in the face of ERAChas, but out of respect and courtesy to our moderators, I won't.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, thank you very much. I'm tempted to throw that in the face of ERAChas, but out of respect and courtesy to our moderators, I won't.
You just did... and you know it
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Think I've got this one figured out.... You 2 have to be best of friends, (maybe brothers) just picking... I've read great advice given by each of you on questions ask on this forum.

My idea is the best, pride. My color, mine is fastest..
All makes for good reading.

My pockets aren't deep enought to get much into this competition, but couldn't help from stirring the pot a little.

Looking forward to reading more input (ideas) from you guys.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After this thread was posted, I split the circuits on the fans so the main puller is fed by an auto-reset circuit breaker and the pushers are protected with a separate in-line blade fuse. The two circuits now do not share the same fused feed. I never liked the "single point of failure" with the one glass fuse feeding all the fans. That was such a trivial mod that it didn't even warrant a new thread with detailed pics.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
After this thread was posted, I split the circuits on the fans so the main puller is fed by an auto-reset circuit breaker and the pushers are protected with a separate in-line blade fuse. The two circuits now do not share the same fused feed. I never liked the "single point of failure" with the one glass fuse feeding all the fans. That was such a trivial mod that it didn't even warrant a new thread with detailed pics.
I'm not currently running pusher fans, though I've certainly thought about adding them - mostly for the 'cool' factor. BTW, I'd wire them on their own circuit - with their own dash switch.

Regardless, after experiencing a relay failure on my puller fans (along with a scary high coolant temperature!!), the fix included a circuit breaker as well as a pair of relays in parallel. Each of those relays is rated to handle the full load, but I now have redundancy should one of them ever fail. And yes, I realize that, given those relays are sharing the load Murphy's Law says they'll never fail. I'm okay with that.