Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2001, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary / FE
Not Ranked     
Default Seeking information on Contemporary Cobras

I have recently re-finished a Contemporary brand Cobra. Though finished, I still have many questions regarding details about Contemporary's parts selections and specifications. If anyone would be so kind as to offer information or be willing to start a dialog regarding this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are some questions I have.

1. The Rack & Pinion Steering Unit is made by Jag. But I do not know which model (or out of which Jag car model )was used. My Car is the chassis type using the coil over front shock system.

2. Air Cleaner / Carb. Clearance is an issue. Though I can close the hood without interference I am looking at another manifold that has another inch of height. My engine is a FE series with an Edlebrock, Performer RPM intake. Using a H&S air cleaner current clearance to the stock style hood scoop is 7/16". My question is: Has anyone used the Weber style hood scoop? I understand that it is about 1/2" taller and somewhat wider. Is this true?

3. I understand that there is a watts linkage system for the Jag rear end that mounts in a lineal direction on both outer hub housings. Used to reduce wheel hop and such. I have seen this system. Does anyone know who makes this and to contact them?

Thank you for your attention to this request.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As to the Watts linkage, I know that Accurate Machine Products (George Petrus) makes one. Also, for about $175 in parts I got two long radius rods (leading, not trailing) done by CWI--they aren't elegant, but seem to work pretty well.

Good luck,

TT
Old 11-30-2001, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for the information.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Please do not race. It is way too much fun, and highly addicting.
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary Expert

Concobra,
You must call Don Borders or Greg Lanier at Image Auto Works in Indio, CA. (760) 347-9896
Don is a Contemporary EXPERT. He can source any part or make it for you. He can answer any Contemporary question.

Good Luck.

Stephen

Cobra University
Old 12-01-2001, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Seeking information on Contemporary Cobras

Quote:
Originally posted by concobra

2. My question is: Has anyone used the Weber style hood scoop? I understand that it is about 1/2" taller and somewhat wider. Is this true?

Thank you for your attention to this request.
I have an aluminum Weber scoop for my Contemporary. It has been a while since the body was on with the motor so I can't give specifics in that respect. The scoop was purchased from Cobra Restorers in Kennesaw, GA. In their catalog they say:
Standard Scoop: 23"x14"x1.5"
Weber:23"x16"x1.875"

I puchased in mainly because I am going to use cold air only and wanted to have plenty of air flow capability.

Watts linkage helps locate (front to back) the upper part of the uprights. The lower part is located reasonably well with lower control arm. Upper really has no fore and aft location without them. It looks like the system would be easy to add if you found out who made the custom uprights, etc.

I think the steering rack is equivalent to E-type, but am not sure. I know that the arms are lengthened abit (not just a bolt in).

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-01-2001, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To: CCX33911 & Cobra University.

Thank you for the information.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary

concobra,
Check to see if your rack has the tag Rack-M or Rack-CARB. I think the cars came with the CARB unit not an XKE, in any case call Terry at 618-439-4444 for a TerryTuff rebuilt unit or parts, he's great on price and service (overnight). I've also seen the MGB unit on a Contemporary like the Butler cars, hope you have the Jag it's a better and stronger unit. I didn't know the rod ends were modified. Terry can help here also.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Contemporary

concobra: Did you chassis come with a rack? All of the kits I remember have racks with them. Anyway...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny
concobra,
I didn't know the rod ends were modified. Terry can help here also.
I can take measurements and/or photos of my assembled setup if you need this to modify a Jag rack, etc.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-02-2001, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To: CCX33911.

I purchased the car complete but needing attention. Therefore, the rack was already with the car. I have viewed another Contemporary Car and it has the same rack as mine. It appears the chassis was designed for this unit based on the mounting hole locations, chassis and rack unit.

My rack system is in good shape. Though I am currently going through it to verify tolerances. Such as proper end play and fastener torque requirements. To do this I need to know the type of unit it is. That way I can order the correct Jag. repair manual. Also, the obvious need to record all such information for future repair and maintenance needs.

If you know of the needed manual or if anyone has a Contempary manual they wish to sell please let me know.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To: Sonny

Thank you very much for the information regarding Terry of TerryTuff. I will contact him on 12/3/01.

Also. I did not explian myself clearly regarding the "rod ends" needing modified. Better said the modified part is the relay rod that attaches the rack unit to the rod ends. It is my understanding that these relay rods are too short as they came from Jaguar. Mine are modified by cutting then welding an extension sleeve in the middle.

Again, let me say thank you.