Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-28-2014, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     
Default Bad Starter

My starter died tonight. I read in the ERA Manual for Shelby Blocks I should only use a powermaster (9406) or a CVR (5049 or 503/49M) starter.

I was hoping to find one locally. Any ideas as to why the limitation is solely to these two manufacturers / brands. Seems like there should be more to chose from.

Phil
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

How are you sure the starter is bad? If it really is, just pull it out and have it rebuilt locally, then put it back in. It's just three bolts -- one of them is a little tricky to get to though.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can jump power across the solenoid and still no go. Pulled it complete out, put power to it and still no go. It was actually just two bolts to get out.

Are you thinking it could be something else?

Phil
Old 03-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Are you thinking it could be something else?

Phil
No. If you put it down in the yard and attach jumper cables to it and touch them to a fully charged battery and nothing happens, then it's dead. I'd just drop it off at a local alternator/starter rebuilder. You'll have it back in a week and you'll know it fits.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

those have the solenoid on the starter.
it could be just a bad solenoid, i agree with having it looked at . could be back on your way with just a solenoid
Old 03-28-2014, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, I put positive power to the starter and it engaged, but did not rotate. Is that indicative of a bad starter or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Phil
Old 03-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The one time I engaged a starter when it was in the front yard grass, by using jumper cables and a battery, it jumped up and almost caused an injury.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have never rebuilt a starter, but here's a nice little run down on it with plenty o' pics. FE Starter Motor Rebuild
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pics of starter

I will try to upload pics of it.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another pic

One more.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, so I discovered with a good ground it all engages and spins. I am thinking that I just need to run a ground wire to the case of the starter and it should solve the problem.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Ok, so I discovered with a good ground it all engages and spins. I am thinking that I just need to run a ground wire to the case of the starter and it should solve the problem.
Yep. Inspect the ground cable from the battery negative terminal over to the passenger side head, or wherever your black cable terminates. Take it apart, look at it, wiggle it in your hands, clean it up, and put it back together. Usually a starter is pretty well grounded just by being bolted up to the engine.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well after a day and 1/2 of screwing with it, my technical more skilled older brother came over and I pulled the starter again and out of the car it would engage, but would only once in the car. So we pulled the cover / cap off of the solenoid on the starter and noticed when taking apart a loose screw on the solenoid cap. We pulled it apart and could see where it was arcing to the case. After cleaning / filing some contacts on the solenoid, we tested it and it worked outside the car. We put it back in the car and it worked. Has started several times. I let it warm up and tried it and it worked fine. I think for safety reasons I will buy a backup and put it in the trunk. At least I know what the problem is now.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, that's good. Speaking of grounds, there's one on ERA cars that, unless someone told you where it was, you'd never find it. It's on the front, driver's side of the X-member. It's not on the engine side of that round piece, so it's kind of hard to see. A lot of the electrical components (fans, horns, head lights) get their ground feed from that connection, so it pays to check that. The other ground source is to the firewall right behind the passenger side cylinder head. That one's easy to see. The rear ground feed is easy to see, too. It's in the trunk, driver's side, where the quickjack/bumper bracket is bolted down. It wouldn't hurt to just find them and snug them all up.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Pat, will look for them all. While working on the starter, I found a steering hold down nut off where it goes through the foot box. I got that back on and tight.

Phil
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

And don't forget the cable from the right cylinder head to the firewall.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can find no ground strap from either head to the firewall. Do you have a picture of where this is supposed to be?

Phil
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's not a strap. It's a skinny little black wire. There is no frame to engine ground strap, and if you put an inductive ammeter around this skinny little black wire you'll find a good bit of the current for loads that are grounded to the frame are actually passing through this guy.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-28-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

In addition to the ground running from the pass side head to a bolt into the steel support behind the firewall, I always have a large ground strap running from the back of the transmission to the frame. See: Mallory 28135 Universal Ground Strap - Rakuten.com Shopping
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

The ground strap that Jim is referring to came with my ERA, so check to see that it is there and is tightly connected. You can see it in the center foreground in the photo bleow.