Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

BTW, what's a trailer relay?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
BTW, what's a trailer relay?
It takes the two inputs (brake lights, turn signal light) and lets those two inputs work together on a single filament. So, it allows the filament to "blink" when you have the turn signal on and are braking at the same time. In that case, it takes the two positive feeds and allows neither to pass to the filament.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

So, the relay with 8 leads instead of 4, if memory serves???
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
So, the relay with 8 leads instead of 4, if memory serves???
No, it has three inputs. Left signal, Right Signal, and Brakes. It has two outputs. Right bright filament and Left bright filament. "Tail Lights" do not run through the relay.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Maybe I was thinking of an isolating relay.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I think it's more complicated than that. With the turn signal on and no braking, the only load is from the blinker element in the one bulb, plus what ever load contribution backfeeds from the front blinker element through the turn signal switch, plus the flasher unit.

While the flasher and front turn signal functions on a left signal, it's not functioning on a right signal - something is different on the right signal circuit versus the left one. I need to go back through all the connections on the right front parking/signal light and see if there is some reason for this. There is enough load to operate the flasher on the left side but not on the right side.

I also installed the panel over the master cylinders a couple months ago and wonder if I might have pinched a wire from the brake light circuit down there.

By the time I get this figured out I'm going to miss the spring season.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, you'll be able to just plug in the new turn signal and flasher without doing a whole lot -- you don't have to actually put it on the column. It could always be the voltage leakage from the turn signal throwing off the circuitry. That would be nice.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The trailer relays are what is used on a trailer behind American wiring that uses the brake light bulbs as indicators as well. They are simply diodes that only let electricity flow one way. Because the bulbs are used for both if you switch the indicator switch without diodes it also makes both the brakes work and flash. Are the diodes hooked for electricity to flow in the correct direction? They are like a one way valve.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
The trailer relays are what is used on a trailer behind American wiring that uses the brake light bulbs as indicators as well. They are simply diodes that only let electricity flow one way. Because the bulbs are used for both if you switch the indicator switch without diodes it also makes both the brakes work and flash. Are the diodes hooked for electricity to flow in the correct direction? They are like a one way valve.
Nick - as far as I can tell I've got it flowing in the right direction. There is a third wire coming in for power from the brake light switch and the relay is marked "To Vehicle" and "To Trailer" or something like that. There is also something going on with left side versus right side so I think I'm going to go back through all the signal light connections on the right side and see if I can figure out why the front signal light also isn't flashing over there. Maybe I have a loose ground at the front, loose connection or pinched wire somewhere.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Have you checked all of the "pin" connections in the rear harness to be sure that the correct wire is feeding its correct counterpart?

It's extremely rare, but it wouldn't be the first time that ERA' Quality Control Supervisor missed a "crossed" wire...

Jim
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Jim,

If I recall correctly from Dan's original thread on this problem, everything was working properly and then stopped working without any changes being made. If I recall that correctly, it isn't a crossed wire. But since you mentioned pin connectors, when I put my wiring together a few things didn't work initially and I discovered 3 pins that weren't "clicked" into the pin connectors. So, when I connected them, those wires just pushed out and didn't make connection. It was easy to correct - just click the pins into place. So Dan, a long shot, but it is possible that you have a wire that was making a connection but then the pin backed out a bit more from vibration. You've probably already checked all the connections at this point...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It should not be this hard. If you just put the relay on the kitchen table, attach 1157 bulbs to both of the output wires and the negative post of the battery, then feed 12v positive to the middle input wire (brake lights), the bulbs will light, unless the relay is bad. There is no tricky back feeding involved from the turn signals, no nothing -- you don't even have to hook them up. It's that simple for the first leg of the test -- you just leave the turn signal inputs alone, don't even hook them up.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fixed

It's fixed. I'm embarassed to state what it was. I'm an electrical idiot - which I have always admitted.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
It's fixed. I'm embarassed to state what it was. I'm an electrical idiot - which I have always admitted.
Alright. As a matter of courtesy we'll just leave it at that.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Dan,

Send me a P.M. about what the problem turned out to be. If, for no other reason, I can mention the situation in the Wiring Primer.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Dan,

Send me a P.M. about what the problem turned out to be. If, for no other reason, I can mention the situation in the Wiring Primer.
Done - Patrick, you will be able to read about it under the newly added section of Bob's Electrical Primer titled, "Dufus Mistakes"
Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't be so hard on yourself Dan. You only did about a jillion other things right in this build.
But if you only added another hundred HP.......................
Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas is right. When you have a 1,000 Cobra tweaks swimming around in your head, it's easy to overlook whether or not the garage door is open before you start backing out....
Old 04-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Chas is right. When you have a 1,000 Cobra tweaks swimming around in your head, it's easy to overlook whether or not the garage door is open before you start backing out....
Or maybe he was working on his son's soapbox racer thinking it was his ERA.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself Dan. You only did about a jillion other things right in this build.
Yeah, Dan, exactly right. If we started a thread titled "mistakes I made when building my car" and could get everyone to put ego aside and fess up, it would go on for hundreds of pages, I'm sure.