Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Tilton Hydraulic Masters worth rebuilding?

Pulled my brake master cover and the 3/4 inch one is leaking from the boot so I guess the seals are shot. This is the second 3/4 inch one I've had fail. The clutch master was bad before I even got the car running and this one is shot with less than 50 miles. Not too impressed with Tilton.

I took the clutch master apart (which I replaced with a 7/8 one) and found some scuffing scratches in the top of the bore apparently from the piston lands hitting it. I got them out using 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a deep socket. I will probably hit it with some 1500 and also polish the lands on the piston.

Looking for those who have rebuilt these things in the past and if you were successfull or should I just spring for a new one? I would like to rebuild so I don't have a growing collection of these things laying around. I suspect there must be something about the 3/4 inch ones - maybe the piston/bore clearances are a little too tight and slight eccentric loading on the push rod causes the piston lands to scrape.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Quote:
and slight eccentric loading on the push rod causes the piston lands to scrape.
This is the issue. They can be rebuilt with great success. Similar to redoing a brake wheel cylinder. Find yourself a small 2 stone hone.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We've had very good service from the Tiltons over the years, so I can't say what is going wrong in your instance. If you want to go "radical change", Wilwood has equivalent units (260-3374 and 260-3376) that should interchange quite nicely. For the price, it's hard to justify the risk rebuilding.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I rebuilt both Tiltons in my system over the years and their rebuild kits are very good. No problems after.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

It's tempting to just order a new one for $72 but to cut down on all the clutter and spare parts around my work bench I think I will try a rebuild kit for $21. I have a hard time throwing old cores and spare parts out. Maybe I can improve on their assembly.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Let us know how that goes. I am a little concerned about your difficulty with throwing old parts away...we are not going to see you on the next episode of Hoarders are we ??
Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Let us know how that goes. I am a little concerned about your difficulty with throwing old parts away...we are not going to see you on the next episode of Hoarders are we ??
Actually, I fear I may be featured on that show, Lord of the Car Hoarders. The last decade or two I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of anything.

And then there's my other garage and my 1000 sf or so of walk-up, floored attic. Anyone need a cat back for a Lightning or set of tailpipes and tips for GTX? Brake drums, intakes, carbs, window glass, body trim, pressure plate, oil pans, water pump core, etc? It's become an affliction.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
We've had very good service from the Tiltons over the years, ... For the price, it's hard to justify the risk rebuilding.

These^^^ are wise words from a wise man. That piece is simply put, a throw away. Buy a replacement and enjoy driving the car.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

You might give a good look to the possible side loading on the piston. I've had the same Tilton's on my car for 22 years and 14K miles.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, the tilton rebuild effort was a failure. The rebuild kit piston/seals actually looked to be better quality than what I removed from the old clutch MC core - but I couldn't get it to make any pressure. Although the coarsest thing I used to polish the bore was 600 sandpaper, followed by 1000 and 1500, it must have removed enough material to prevent the seals from sealing and it appeares to be bypassing fluid. I cracked the brake light switch and the outlet line both loose and never could get any pressure from stroking the brake pedal. I took the leaking MC apart that I was replacing and it is far too badly scored to try to rebuild. So I ordered a new MC from Summit.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like I gave up on the rebuilt Tilton MC too soon. I decided that before I pulled it back off that I would hook my Phoneix bleeder system up to the rear calipers and try to vacuum fill the system and MC. That worked pretty well and then I finished up pumping the pedal and letting the speed bleeders do their thing. The pedal seems normal. It will probably be a few drives before I can verify the MC is sealing tight.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

The rebuild on my front master cylinder went well until the front brakes decided to stay applied at all times. A new one was purchased for around $40.00, but also had to replace the cooked brake pads & rotors. Lesson learned.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Anyone contemplating this needs to have a Small 2 stone hone in your arsenal, it makes life so much easier
Lisle 10500 2 Stone Brake Cylinder Hone | eBay

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way